Buying a naked in a month. QUESTIONS!

'OWDERS, PEEPS!

I'll be purchasing a brand spankin' new white FZ1n once the tax times are upon us. It'll be my first 'big' purchase, so It's something I'm gonna be pretty proud of. I had my heart set on an FZ8 for a while there, but whilst out looking at the local dealers for a black '8, I saw it...The biggest home grown pumpkin I ever did saw. Oh, and a white FZ1n, too.

No more FZ8 for me. The 1n looks much meaner, thanks mostly I reckon to those radiator shrouds. The '8 has a headlight that, like my ex, can look pretty ugly at certain angles, but the 1n is all sex in the face. At $13,000 for the 8 and $15,000 for the FZ1n, you really do get much more for your money--Even when just taking into account the brakes and suspension, aye! The dealer just got a black 1n in for use as a demo, so I'll be trying it out in a month or whatever. DIGRESS IS ME!

Jumping up from a '98 FZ6S, I'm expecting quite a bit of a boost in performance. THIS WORRIES ME! I've never really had the front end up at all in my 5 years on riding, and never really had any temptation to do so. Yeah, this'll be my first 1,000CC bike, too. *Accidental wheelie and there goes my money after looking at the throttle the wrong way*

The dealer selling the bike hinted strongly at me today that he'd throw in a pipe. Whether it's a full Yoshi system like he'd done to the demo model outside or just a Yoshi slip-on, I'm not too sure. I guess I should push for the full system, right? BUT THIS WILL GIVE ME MORE POWER, CORRECT?

There's not a great deal I could barter for that's worth much when buying this bike. I need a new jacket, but ugh... Should I be worried about the power increase? Will I need a Power Commander with a new exhaust? Will Smith?

Apologies for the wall of text. Leaving on a final note, I'm 6"4/193cm, 180lbs/81kg, and damn this bike looks short for some reason. All modern bikes do, regardless of seating position...which this thing feels comfy as saddling my balls on clouds and rainbows.

Peace out, bitches. Let's hug! :cloud9:

Nothing to worry about with the power increase. Just respect it while you adjust. The FZ1 is very tame below 7000 rpm, your not going to flip over backwards unless you go crazy in first gear with the throttle .
That Yosh full system is a great pipe for the FZ1 makes some good improvements in the mid range power.

Last edited:
Scatt Man - I see it's your first post so welcome to the forum!! You won't regret buying an FZ1N - I've had mine for 4 months and added over 5000km's. Can't seem to stop riding! Awesome bikes, look great and basically do everything well. Good price at $15000 new. I bought mine 2nd. hand with 3000km on the clock for $10,800 - in showroom condition (and it still is). I run the stock exhaust so I won't comment on the exhaust area. Lot's of info here on that. Seems one mod leads to another and so on.........Will the pipe and PC affect warranty? As for power, there's plenty above 6-7000 rpm. Below that the general view is a weak low and mid-range with a very tall first gear. Personally, I think it's what I'd call user friendly until you hit high revs - turn's into quite the beast!!! I still find with the stock gearing wheelies to be hard work so don't worry about the N trying to spit you off all the time. All said and done, at revs they really move, handle good, stop great and the aggressive streetfighter look makes it quite a package!! Here's a pic of mine..... Cheers.

You will love your FZ1N and yes the slipon or full system will give you a power boost. For the slipon you will not need a PC but I am not sure about the full system. But there are enough people on here that will know.

Did you alreay think about the color or are you still in doubt about that?

Thanks for the welcomes and reassurance that I won't kill myself the second I jump on the thing, dudes. I've been lurking here for quite a while, checking out photos 'n junk, and yeah, I came across your ones, Wolfy. I even have one of your pictures saved in a folder with other pictures of FZ1ns. And as for the warranty, HOLY CRAP, I should've asked the guy! :dontknow:

Bone-stock at the dealer
Photo0243.jpg

Not long now. :stirpot:

*EDIT*

And as for the colour, I have my heart set on the white. We only have it available in black or white down 'ere. After seeing it in black in person today though, I don't dislike it nearly as much as I do with the interweb pictures. Probably the white, unless I look at the black one a few dozen more times.

Last edited:
:welcome: Congrats!

You'll do fine with the bigger bike. The 1 is as tame as you want it to be and as super googan stated, dig in your heels and grip tight when you hit 7k because from there to 12.5k it's the ride of your life! (I need to move to a place with more open and less patrolled spaces)

:woot:...Congrats on the new bike! I live in the dreaded flatlands of Kansas, and I love my FZ1N, I had a 2002 FZ1 back in the day but after seeing the naked model genII I had to have one!

P.S. Be careful with the modding, once you start, YOU CANT STOP!!!

Here's mine:

I don't have the bike just yet, people, lol. A month or two and it'll be mine. I'm just waiting for tax time. :)

That red 1n is so weird, Josh. I think I like it. There's something about that colour that makes it hard to look away.

Quick passing question: Has anyone tried the FZ8? I'm just curious about its little headlight bikini faring, and whether or not it's miles better against the wind than the 1n is.

Thanks again, dudes! :cowboy:

The FZ1N can also be fitted with a "little headlight bikini faring". Mutliple verdors have it and you can also get a Yamaha one. I have the Yamaha one but because I have never ridden without it I do not know if it helps alot.

dsc0340e.jpg

Quick passing question: Has anyone tried the FZ8? I'm just curious about its little headlight bikini faring, and whether or not it's miles better against the wind than the 1n is.

Thanks again, dudes! :cowboy:

I own 2008 FZ1-N ABS with Ivans FCE, Arrow Headers, Mivv Carbon, Pirelli Diablo Corsa's, Valmoto Rearsets etc.

I was with Yamaha at Silverstone ( Stowe Circuit ) last month and rode the FZ8 N & Faired, R1, FZ1S etc.

The FZ8 IS a great bike, the difference in fairing makes no difference !

Welcome bud! You've been riding and you are already aware of the power difference......so you should be ok. Enjoy it. Hope you still have the 6 around to ride while you wait. To be without a bike completely is plain painful, IMO. Cheers :)

Very nice!

:woot:...Congrats on the new bike! I live in the dreaded flatlands of Kansas, and I love my FZ1N, I had a 2002 FZ1 back in the day but after seeing the naked model genII I had to have one!

P.S. Be careful with the modding, once you start, YOU CANT STOP!!!

Here's mine:

...and I thought MY red was great looking. DANG.

Yes, it can be very tame were I ride at 3k-4k.

i have done 7k once and it was an eye opener. I like the white. Welcome!

Back