Broke Down Again Today!

Thanks Steve, I just got home from work and ran real quick into the garage. The odd thing that I noticed is that when I turned the key I didn't hear the fuel pump's usual clicking noise. I always hear the clicking noise when I turn the key no matter what. It's been sitting since yesterday so it should have clicked when the key was turned.

My question is, do you think if the fuel pump went, would the bike still draw fuel through vacuum only? If it does draw fuel through vacuum, it may explain why the bike will idle fine and die out when you ask for more fuel.

I brought home a gallon of gas from the guy I always go to so I know its good. When I get a chance I'll check the charging system since thats the easiest thing first. Then I'll disconnect the fuel line ahead of the pump and put the end of the line in a container and turn the key on. It should start pumping gas. If it doesn't I'll know where to start.

If anyone knows about the fuel being drawn on vacuum only answer, please let me know. Thanks.

Billy,
Didnt I give you the PDF manual? If so is there a trouble shooting section? If not I still have a guide I can send you. Please let me know the book should help with your fuel question as well.

Billy,
Didnt I give you the PDF manual? If so is there a trouble shooting section? If not I still have a guide I can send you. Please let me know the book should help with your fuel question as well.

Thanks Dave, yes I have the manual. I was just busy with something else at the moment. I'm going to take a gander at it in a few. I am heavily leaning towards a fuel delivery issue, whether it be bad gas, gas filter, fuel pump, etc. I'm just not believing that my carbs are gummed up because #1, I rode the bike 85 miles that day without any issue whatsoever, and #2, I always use Seafoam about every third full tank of gas as a preventative measure. Those carbs should be clean enough to eat off of. I'll let you know what the manual's troubleshooting section says in reference to this issue. Thanks again.

After getting a PM from Tony, I am really thinking that this wasn't a gas issue. I filled up in the morning from about a 1/4 tank to full. The bike then went 85 miles with no problems at all. It used exactly 1.7 gallons of gas. Once me and Tony finished eating, we went to top off his tank. I figured what the heck, let me top off too. It took 1.7 gallons and was full again. We then traveled approximately 2.5 miles before it started stuttering and acting up. I really think that if the gas was bad, these symtoms would have shown up sooner. With the absense of the ticking from the fuel pump when I turn the key, I'm really suspect about the fuel pump being faulty, or at least the fuel filter, which I've never replaced. I'll check it electronically tomorrow when I get home from work to see if she's pumping.

I just went through my Clymer's Manual troubleshooting section and according to them, the carbs are actually the very last thing to check when having a condition similar to my issue. They recommend the plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, then fuel pump. If all those check out then they say to move on to the carbs. I'm hoping it's at least the pump or filter. This way, once it's done, I'll have enough confidence to go on long rides without fear of getting stuck.

I just went downstairs again and turned the key on the bike. There again was no clicking from the fuel pump again. I'm almost sure that it's bad. Now, my next problem. I have checked online for a while and have not been able to find a link for a new one. I'm gonna check the Yamaha website but in the meantime if someone has a link they know of, please pass it along. If the pump is bad, I want to be able to order one pronto. The weather is going to be great for the weekend and I want to be riding on two wheels instead of four. Thanks.

I found a OEM Yamaha Parts place online and looked up a new fuel pump. All I can say is OUCH!! Now I'm hoping it's NOT the pump. I may have to go used on Flea-bay. I certainly don't have almost $200 bucks for a new one. I've have 3 saved in "My Ebay" for $69.95 or less. I'll know by tomorrow. Hey! Does anyone have an 01' to 05' fuel pump their not using??LOL.

Hey Billy, any interest in this direction. I would offer at least 20 under. Explain you have to eat also.

Look them over. Shame the best deal looks to be across the country, Figures.

Yamaha FZ1 fuel pump, great deals on eBay Motors on eBay!

Thanks Dave, I actually have all 4 of those saved in "My Ebay" already. I'm waiting for tomorrow afternoon to do the check on my pump. If it's bad I'll run up and make an offer. I could probably get him down a few bucks, after all, it may go bad as well. Thanks for the link. It's now that time again unfortunately.....sleepy time! I'll chat with you tomorrow when I will let you know what I found. Good night buddy.

P.S. I just received the mail from Yamaha this evening on the new VMax for 2010. It looks Red and it looks BADDD!

Thanks Dave, I actually have all 4 of those saved in \"My Ebay\" already. I'm waiting for tomorrow afternoon to do the check on my pump. If it's bad I'll run up and make an offer. I could probably get him down a few bucks, after all, it may go bad as well. Thanks for the link. It's now that time again unfortunately.....sleepy time! I'll chat with you tomorrow when I will let you know what I found. Good night buddy.

P.S. I just received the mail from Yamaha this evening on the new VMax for 2010. It looks Red and it looks BADDD!

Nice.

Later and good luck for sure.

not a good ending:hellno:

Great picture. You really captured the moment! Now if you would have been by Fairbank's this morning when I lost reverse gear on my car. That would have been a great shot for you of me pulling what little bit of hair I have left, out of my head! Your right about that black cloud following me around! I hope I make it home today.

I'm Back Baby!!

It seems I had a case of bad gas. I went down after work and first checked the charging system. At 4,000 rpm's the meter was reading 13.5 volts so I assumed that it was okay. I then removed the gas tank and set it aside. I ran the bike to empty the floats and then removed the fuel pump and filter assembly. I then hooked up the pump to a gallon can of fresh gas that I brought home yesterday. Once I turn the key the pump worked perfectly. The clicking noise told me it was pumping gas. I hooked the other end back to the carb connection and primed the float bowls. Once that was done my son held the gas can and I started the bike. She fired right up and immediately went to idle. I sat and revved it for about 5 minutes with no stuttering or hesitation whatsoever. I shut it down and re-installed the pump and filter assembly. I then ran the floats dry again. I took the carb line and hooked it to the bottom of the gas tank and emptied the 5 gallons into my car. Once the tank was empty I went back to the bike, installed the tank, added 2-1/2ozs. of Seafoam along with the gallon of fresh gas. I again primed the floats and started the bike. She ran beautifully so after a minute I took it outside and ran it around the block a couple of times, giving her some hard throttle. It ran with no hesitation at all with good power. Once I got back to the garage my son was standing there with the clear container that I initially emptied the bad gas into from the fuel pump. The friggin gas was as clear as day! It looked like a bottle of pure water. No yellowish hue to it or anything. I'm going to fill the bike tomorrow when I get home and run it close to home for a while just to make sure. I'm first going to change out the gas filter for a new one just for good measure. I'll let you guys know how it went tomorrow. Also, Tony and I are picking up the YZF1000 tomorrow morning. I'm bringing my GoPro camera with me to get some video when we leave to bring the bike home. Thanks to everyone for your input on my problem. It seemed to have help me through it just fine.

glad that you were able to get everything sorted....I have been stuck in the garage all weekend and unable to ride this week. My being limited to the cage has been a weight issue (too much stuff to carry in the backpack) and I'll be in AZ the rest of the week picking up the RV from the Hotel Project.

wonder if some of the hesitation I picked up in my "intermittent problem" was more fuel related.....slowly I'll get there.....

are ya trailering the bike back -- or one in the car and Tony on the new bike?

Adam

Glad to see things are working again. I agree stay close to home a Faulty fuel pump can be intermitant but is still sounds like white gas was the issue. Let us know.

Glad to see things are working again. I agree stay close to home a Faulty fuel pump can be intermitant but is still sounds like white gas was the issue. Let us know.

Thanks Dave. Yeah, I'm actually going to pick up AAA Coverage this week. Even if it's 100 bucks a year, it's worth every cent. I'm not taking anymore long rides without it. It's a real bad tiring experience when your stuck with no way to get home. Thats not gonna happen to me anymore. I just thank God that Richie stayed home that day. Just another chapter for my life story.

Back