Broke Down Again Today!

I'm finally back at home and my baby is sitting 65 miles north of here in the sticks! I won't sleep a wink tonight, thats for sure.

Tony(NJFZ1) and I rode up to Poughkeepsie this morning to look at a bike. We left the person's house about 2:45pm to head home, 73 miles south. We stopped off at McDonalds to grab a bite, filled the bikes with gas, and headed for home. I only got about a mile when the bike started chugging and bucking. It stalled every time I rolled on the throttle. Lucky for us we were in the middle of nowhere!(Being Sarcastic). I made it another 1/2 mile and realized we weren't going any further. I rolled to a stop in front of a rural house with a bunch of lawn mowers lined up outside. Tony's AAA didn't cover motorcycles, so there was strike one. I started calling friends that have vans and there went strike's two and three. Now it's getting dark and looking like rain and we both have dark visors on. I made the decision to leave the bike until tomorrow so I walked up to the house and the owner was nice enough to let me leave the bike behind the fence on his property. I called my savior (CanonFuji) who drove up in the car to pick me up. I sent Tony on his way because he had a long ride home, and I sat on the side of the road until Ray got there 40 minutes later. I am optimistically assuming that I have a case of bad gas since the bike has been running flawlessly since I have had it. I'm going to get the work van tomorrow morning at 6:30am and head up with Ray to get my baby back home. A really BIG thanks to Ray for coming through and saving the day. Thanks Bud! Aside from that, Tony and I had a great day and at least half a great ride. Sorry to Tony for getting him home late. I guess we had no choice but thanks for staying with me and for all your help. I'll fill everyone in on whats wrong soon. Until then it's back in the CAGE for me.

Yea, it was was a great day for riding up until that point. I do hope that it turns out to be something as simple as bad gas. Nothing else really makes any sense. Now I'm afraid of what may happen when we try to get the YZF back home :lol:

I agree. Water or dirt in the fuel would be my first guess. One of the things that sold me on my FZ was the fact that it's still a carbed bike. I can work on it with out hooking up the lap top.

Yea, it was was a great day for riding up until that point. I do hope that it turns out to be something as simple as bad gas. Nothing else really makes any sense. Now I'm afraid of what may happen when we try to get the YZF back home :lol:

I'm sure we will be just fine. I'll bring my can of Seafoam with us and give it a dose along with some high test gasoline. We'll make it home just fine.

I'm going to get a gallon of high test in my container and disconnect the tank from the bike and run the float bowls dry. Then I will run the gas line direct to the new gas straight from the gas can like Ivan was doing when he did the jet kit. If it runs fine then I'll syphon the gas out into my car and refill the bike with good gas. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I don't want any down time as the season is coming to an end soon.

If it is bad gas, make sure you save it and go back to the station you bought it from! I hope it is that simple.

Sorry it happened and hope the fix is quick!

I hope it is a simple as gas.Good luck. If I were closer I would bring up my trailer and pick it up for you.
let me know what you find. I hate to see you get stranded.

Thead hi-jack warning... OK, with that said. Earlzach, being a HUGE V4 fan, How's the new MAX? My wife rode my magna once and had to have an Interceptor after that.

I'm finally back at home and my baby is sitting 65 miles north of here in the sticks! I won't sleep a wink tonight, thats for sure.

Tony(NJFZ1) and I rode up to Poughkeepsie this morning to look at a bike. We left the person's house about 2:45pm to head home, 73 miles south. We stopped off at McDonalds to grab a bite, filled the bikes with gas, and headed for home. I only got about a mile when the bike started chugging and bucking. It stalled every time I rolled on the throttle. Lucky for us we were in the middle of nowhere!(Being Sarcastic). I made it another 1/2 mile and realized we weren't going any further. I rolled to a stop in front of a rural house with a bunch of lawn mowers lined up outside. Tony's AAA didn't cover motorcycles, so there was strike one. I started calling friends that have vans and there went strike's two and three. Now it's getting dark and looking like rain and we both have dark visors on. I made the decision to leave the bike until tomorrow so I walked up to the house and the owner was nice enough to let me leave the bike behind the fence on his property. I called my savior (CanonFuji) who drove up in the car to pick me up. I sent Tony on his way because he had a long ride home, and I sat on the side of the road until Ray got there 40 minutes later. I am optimistically assuming that I have a case of bad gas since the bike has been running flawlessly since I have had it. I'm going to get the work van tomorrow morning at 6:30am and head up with Ray to get my baby back home. A really BIG thanks to Ray for coming through and saving the day. Thanks Bud! Aside from that, Tony and I had a great day and at least half a great ride. Sorry to Tony for getting him home late. I guess we had no choice but thanks for staying with me and for all your help. I'll fill everyone in on whats wrong soon. Until then it's back in the CAGE for me.

Was not going to ride you on my bike dude LOL.Any time Billy boy.

well, as one who has been racking his brain over little anomilies....thank goodness you had friends close to help out.....I ride, my only saviour is my cell, and the hopes that my wife does not make me pay for going out on a ride.....

I came to a stop, and my shift lever fell right off -- I had wrenches b/c I was testing different positions, but I have now scored a tool kit -- and should be good to go for anything that I have thrown at me....

Progressive.....that extra dollar a month is worth it for towing service...

Adam

I know what kind of bummer it is to have to leave your bike. Kawasaki has a plan through their owners club (you don't have to have a Kawasaki) for a few bucks you can become a member and have towing coverage. Anyway, I try to gas up always at stations that look like they have a lot of traffic so the gas is normally fresher. Once, while in the service back in 1973 I had to stop to get gas in Nebraska way off 80 and also got a load of watered down gas. I thought I was going to be stuck in no-where land forever but I finally got to another station filled up again and all was well.

wow thats scary. I would hate leaving my bike behind. Here in florida there are bike thefts all the time (unsolved I might add). Last year I added the plus and rv feature to my AAA card and I asked to make sure if i broke down that AAA would cover it. Here it includes motorcyle transport up to 200 miles from home address. I'm not plugging AAA but I cannot imagine being stranded like that. I hope everything works out for you.

Been there

From the symptoms I would say charging system. I'll bet it starts after sitting overnight, but won't run for long. My old FZ 600 did the same thing out in the boonies and it was a fried rotor.:deadhorse:

Thead hi-jack warning... OK, with that said. Earlzach, being a HUGE V4 fan, How's the new MAX? My wife rode my magna once and had to have an Interceptor after that.

If your asking then you know!lol

Its is AWESOME!! pure power. I wouldnt trade it for anything out there today.

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread.

testing

Use a multimeter on the 20 volt dc setting. with the bike off black lead to negative, red to positive. Should read 12 volts or just above. Start the bike and rev it to 5000. It should read anywhere from 14 to 17 volts. If the voltage drops when you start and rev it the charging system is shot. Then you have to look further to test which component has failed.

Use a multimeter on the 20 volt dc setting. with the bike off black lead to negative, red to positive. Should read 12 volts or just above. Start the bike and rev it to 5000. It should read anywhere from 14 to 17 volts. If the voltage drops when you start and rev it the charging system is shot. Then you have to look further to test which component has failed.

Thanks Bud, gonna check it out when I get home from work.

Glad you got the bike safely home Billy. I don't know if it could be the charging system or not, but you never know. For all the times you cranked it over the battery was holding up just fine. Either way it's easy enough to check...

Back