Break In Period? - Used FZ-1

I'm looking at buying a 2007 FZ-1 with 100 miles on it. How do you recommend I treat it at the start ... it obviously hasn't gone through break in yet.

Thanks!

Kim

Manual

I'm looking at buying a 2007 FZ-1 with 100 miles on it. How do you recommend I treat it at the start ... it obviously hasn't gone through break in yet.

Thanks!

Kim

Treat it like it has no miles and break in as the manual suggests. If you did not get a manual I would spend the cash and buy one, it's not the most comprehensive one that I have seen but worth having for the most important info. If I recall correctly it says to not exceed 6000 rpm for the first 1000 miles. And of course vary your rpm during break-in even when doing a constant speed.
Well, a little digging and I found a dowload of the manual on the Yamaha Europe site, looks ligit to me. Best of all free. I will add the link.Yamaha manuals download - Motorcycles, Scooters

Engine break-in
There is never a more important period
in the life of your engine than the period
between 0 and 1600 km (1000 mi). For
this reason, you should read the following
material carefully.
Since the engine is brand new, do not
put an excessive load on it for the first
1600 km (1000 mi). The various parts in
the engine wear and polish themselves
to the correct operating clearances.
During this period, prolonged full-throttle
operation or any condition that might
result in engine overheating must be
avoided.
0–1000 km (0–600 mi)
Avoid prolonged operation above 6000
r/min.
1000–1600 km (600–1000 mi)
Avoid prolonged operation above 7200 r/min.
CAUTION:
After 1000 km (600 mi) of operation,
the engine oil must be changed and
the oil filter cartridge or element replaced.
1600 km (1000 mi) and beyond
The vehicle can now be operated normally.
CAUTION:
 Keep the engine speed out of
the tachometer red zone.
 If any engine trouble should occur
during the engine break-in
period, immediately have a
Yamaha dealer check the vehicle.

Last edited:
Treat it like it has no miles and break in as the manual suggests. If you did not get a manual I would spend the cash and buy one, it's not the most comprehensive one that I have seen but worth having for the most important info. I will add what the manual says for break in when I get home tonight.
If I recall correctly it says to not exceed 6000 rpm for the first 1000 miles. And of course vary your rpm during break-in even when doing a constant speed.

You can register on the Yamaha site and download a copy of the manual. The manual is adobe locked against printing it but a quick google search fixes that annoyance.

You can register on the Yamaha site and download a copy of the manual. The manual is adobe locked against printing it but a quick google search fixes that annoyance.

Welcome and congrats on your purchase! Glad to have you aboard. What part of Jersey are you from. Northern I hope. This way we have another guy to go on rides with!

Welcome and congrats on your purchase! Glad to have you aboard. What part of Jersey are you from. Northern I hope. This way we have another guy to go on rides with!

Thanks...I'm pretty much at the intersection of 287 and 10 and thanks to the snow the bike is pretty asleep for the winter. Been riding with some people from the gixxer forum. View attachment 1351 and doing the bike night thing at the chatterbox. Was riding when Madonna was sexy (not creepy like now)

Back