Bought another bike for the Wifey!

Well, here we go again. My daughter is ready to really get into some off roading this season so we decided to get something for Michelle to ride to go along with Lexi's CRF80 and my KLX250S. We got a super deal on a 2013 Honda CRF150R Expert so I bought it. Was brand new sitting on the showroom floor - never started.

I know it's radical overkill but I just couldn't see spending more money on a TTR-230 or CRF230F when this is so much more bike. I really want her to get a little nasty with this one just like she does on her Streetfighter at the track days.

I'm going to be really sad when she shreds my KLX with her mini!

20160226_161925_resized.jpg

Funniest darn story I forgot to share!

My wife was having trouble starting it - she's never kicked a bike in her life!

My 11 year old daughter came outside and fired it up for her!!!! That was the funniest damn thing I've seen in a long time. The kid kicks her 80 to start it all the time so she just knew better how to kick start a bike than my wife!

I laughed my butt off all afternoon and my wife is struggling to live it down.

It is. It's a little screamer. Revs to 14,000 RPM and weighs 189 pounds. 22HP.

Rode it for all of 5 minutes today and couldn't stop smiling. Makes my KLX250 seem like a joke.

Dirt Fun

Dirt bikes are so much fun. I would already have one if not for 2 things; money and a way to get it where needed. Despite that as soon as my buddy gets his KTM 300, he is selling me his XR250. When I go out my other buddy with his pick-up will pick me up. It limits riding to groups, but as you know that is a lot of fun.

Did I mention, I'm racing in the Desert 100 near Oddessa in April on that 250. Never done it before, but my two dirt riding buddies talked me into it.

What's the worst that could happen.......

Last edited:
So funny that your friends talked you into a dirt race. I remember several years ago racing an enduro in Florida....

I was riding a KX250 in 2000 (2=stroke) and with all the palmetto roots I fell every 15 minutes! Eventually it was so hot and I was so exhausted in the 3rd hour I just leaned the bike up against a tree and decided to sit there for a while before I had a heart attack! Didn't even want to kick it anymore, but kicking the XR will be much easier on you.

Still, if it's your first off road race I would have suggested a hare scramble to start with. I'm assuming in a desert race it's going to be over a long distance but at much higher speeds than a woods enduro.

I just hope you don't have to think of me at some point in the race and decide to lean the bike over and take a break!

Riding with friends is always the best as long as everyone keeps their egos in check. Sometimes it got easy to push the pace higher and higher at the MX track with my buddies until someone got hurt. Of course I was much younger and dumber then. (thinner too)

Back to my wife's bike...

It's really a top notch mini motocrosser. Really screams. Hope it's not too much for her but I really think it will help her develop a new area of her riding.

As usual I kind of blame Billy for telling me to just "go for it"!

Back to my wife's bike...

It's really a top notch mini motocrosser. Really screams. Hope it's not too much for her but I really think it will help her develop a new area of her riding.

I think everyone that rides street should get out on a dirt bike at least once in a while. It really does teach you things about riding that make you better on the street. With the experience that your wife has on her current machine, I can only imagine that she will find it an absolute blast to ride in the dirt.

Sweet Bike! Is it really faster than your KLX250? I am constantly amazed at how much power the 4-Strokes are putting out. I have not really ridden Dirt Bikes since I was a teen, back in the 90's everything was 2-cycle.

I think everyone that rides street should get out on a dirt bike at least once in a while. It really does teach you things about riding that make you better on the street. With the experience that your wife has on her current machine, I can only imagine that she will find it an absolute blast to ride in the dirt.

I agree. She's been through a lot already in her 5 years of riding and come a long way. You nailed it on the head - time to progress again. She's just really worked hard on her track technique and street riding. I hope I don't throw her all off putting her in the dirt.

Either way, it should broaden her range a lot.

Sweet Bike! Is it really faster than your KLX250? I am constantly amazed at how much power the 4-Strokes are putting out. I have not really ridden Dirt Bikes since I was a teen, back in the 90's everything was 2-cycle.

It honestly is way faster than the KLX. I'm kind of a dinosaur and used to all the 2 strokes as well. What they've done is amazing with this little motor.

Having owned one of the original YZ400Fs and raced a CRF450 way back in 2003 I was familiar with the new 4 strokes, but for a 150cc bike I was totally blown away. So much so that I started to actually worry if it was the wrong bike for her. The front end just doesn't feel planted like on a 230F or TTR230. It always wants to be in the air and the bike is very light so it almost feels flighty. I'm sure she'll adapt.

It honestly is way faster than the KLX. I'm kind of a dinosaur and used to all the 2 strokes as well. What they've done is amazing with this little motor.

Having owned one of the original YZ400Fs and raced a CRF450 way back in 2003 I was familiar with the new 4 strokes, but for a 150cc bike I was totally blown away. So much so that I started to actually worry if it was the wrong bike for her. The front end just doesn't feel planted like on a 230F or TTR230. It always wants to be in the air and the bike is very light so it almost feels flighty. I'm sure she'll adapt.

Really, that sounds like a ton of fun to me!

Back