Bike won't turn over.

After reading 10 pages of your saga, I've not (or don't remember) seen you state if you have a known good battery.

Sometimes a really messed up battery will do really messed up things to a bikes electrics and send you down many dead end paths while trying to figure out what's wrong.

Just a thought, and my :2cents:

Hope ya get it figured out soon, I know it must be driving you a bit insane.

Ok all! I took my bike to a guy with more years working on bikes. He's had it for a week. He couldn't fix it.

SO AnYONE wHoo HASnsome time let's get down to business figuring this out! I am sitting in front of my bike with my iPad.

All suggestions are welcome!............

Let em fly!!!

Ok all! I took my bike to a guy with more years working on bikes. He's had it for a week. He couldn't fix it.

SO AnYONE wHoo HASnsome time let's get down to business figuring this out! I am sitting in front of my bike with my iPad.

All suggestions are welcome!............

Let em fly!!!

You can afford an iPad but not motorcycle repair? I GIVE UP! :)

Last edited:
Have you gotten the manual for the bike? If so, have you checked all your grounds? A bad ground can make your lighting act all funny. I feel really bad for you Donnie. I went through something like this a while back that lasted more than two weeks. I finally took it to a shop where the guy found the issue in about ten seconds. In my case it was a cracked spark plug. I hope you find out the issue soon.

Electrical issues can be very hard to troubleshoot. Billy hit the nail on the head. Start with the basics... the ground. Start testing leads out from there. Swap fuses of like amp ratings or just replace them period.

Did you try my suggestion above regarding the neutral switch? Ground it out and you SHOULD get a neutral light but a permanent one so long as the switch is grounded. Take a nice long spare wire and start jumpering locations, meaning, hook into the original start and end of any single circuit that is a part of the issue. It will either create a double wired link or, if the original link is damaged, close the circuit and allow the bike to start.

It won't be easy to track it down, but when you find it, it will be an easy fix. :tup:

Last edited:
iPad was a gift. I have two different manuals. Fz1in nh I have done all of those things twice, and My buddy Les the guy with more experience than me has too. I see now that it has to be a bad relay, or something.

Time to start throwing money at it. Going to the dealer in the morning to drop it off.

Thanks Tom. Was beginning to feel a little lonely.

iPad was a gift. I have two different manuals. Fz1in nh I have done all of those things twice, and My buddy Les the guy with more experience than me has too. I see now that it has to be a bad relay, or something.

Time to start throwing money at it. Going to the dealer in the morning to drop it off.

I was just kidding with you. You will never get much tech support from me. I have no clue what I am doing. Unfortunately, I get to learn through the misfortune of others with problems like this. Someday maybe I will gain enough knowledge to actually contribute. ;)

I'm sorry Donnie that we couldn't have been more help to you. It's tuff sometimes to diagnose things over a forum. It's different went you have the bike in front of you and you can physically check it out. I hope that the dealer can fix the problem and that you come back and post the findings. Even though we weren't able to help you, your thread here may help someone in the future that comes across the same or similar issue. Good luck bud!

I know fuses were mentioned earlier, I have had problem in a car of mine a while back where the fuse looked good but once i put a meter to the top of it the fuse proved to be faulty. just another idea

I'm sorry Donnie that we couldn't have been more help to you. It's tuff sometimes to diagnose things over a forum. It's different went you have the bike in front of you and you can physically check it out. I hope that the dealer can fix the problem and that you come back and post the findings. Even though we weren't able to help you, your thread here may help someone in the future that comes across the same or similar issue. Good luck bud!

I know this is an old thread and issue, but I have a 2002 gen I Fz-1 with very simular sounding issue. My key turns power onto bike, but the neutral light does not work. I did think the bike had a bad wire, but I realized it is now starting for me if I take it off the kickstand.

Does anybody know why by nuetral light is not working, or if its just some type of short with the kickstand switch?

Does anybody know why by nuetral light is not working, or if its just some type of short with the kickstand switch?

Have you verified that the neutral light bulb didn't simply burn out?

As for the sidestand switch it sounds like it is working, by not allowing the bike to start with the sidestand down.

Given what I just said above you may well have a faulty neutral switch, but verify the bulb is working first...

Have you verified that the neutral light bulb didn't simply burn out?

As for the sidestand switch it sounds like it is working, by not allowing the bike to start with the sidestand down.

Given what I just said above you may well have a faulty neutral switch, but verify the bulb is working first...

I put on my other gauges from another fz-1 and the neutral light still didnt work, and idk why but the check engine light seems to stay on now.

Back