Bike won't turn over.

DonnieBee

Ok guys. Got a new one for you. Went for a long ride yesterday, some in rain.
No problems.

Went out and started it to warm it up after church to run to the store. Warmed it up then shut it off to clean and wax it real quick. Went to restart it after and... Nothing. The lights come on ( all but the neutral light) but nothing. No fuel pump, no starter clicks, nothing.

It's been on a trickle charger all night. I assume it was full before starting. Plugged it back in to see if light was green. Yellow, but I think it will charge up again after a few. Tried jumping it, just to see if somehow battery died, but no reaction.

I am one very frustrated owner right now. I have had problem after problem this last month or so and am losing my patience.

Any ideas? I was thinking ignition switch as a possibility.

Ok guys. Got a new one for you. Went for a long ride yesterday, some in rain.
No problems.

Went out and started it to warm it up after church to run to the store. Warmed it up then shut it off to clean and wax it real quick. Went to restart it after and... Nothing. The lights come on ( all but the neutral light) but nothing. No fuel pump, no starter clicks, nothing.

It's been on a trickle charger all night. I assume it was full before starting. Plugged it back in to see if light was green. Yellow, but I think it will charge up again after a few. Tried jumping it, just to see if somehow battery died, but no reaction.

I am one very frustrated owner right now. I have had problem after problem this last month or so and am losing my patience.

Any ideas? I was thinking ignition switch as a possibility.

Check the 20amp main fuse I shorted mine once with the same symptoms, I'll bet your signals don't work either.

Unless there are fuses hidden somewhere else other than under the seat, then, no it's not fuses. Turn signals do work. Is 20 amp main with the group of five?

Kill switch is in on position.

wait... why is the Neutral light not on? I thought you fixed that....

other than that... check kill switch... and that it's in neutral... even if the battery was weak,, the bike would make some sort of noise as it tried to start... and the headlights would dim...

If some water got into the kill switch, it might have messed with the contacts... and it's not allowing you to actually manipulate the kill switch... this is an easy fix though... open the pod up and spray down the contacts with some WD-40.

Yeah, thats why I mentioned it. It is odd that it was running, then after five min of warmup then shutting it off it wouldn't do anything. Just the oil light, fuel empty light and high temp warning light. No fuel pump, nonstarter click nada. It looks like a kill switch reaction. I will go check it, but I have doubts.

Key was getting kinda sticky last week and I used electrical contact cleaner to clean it out. Just sprayed it in. But that was 100 starts ago. Gonna go Check the kill.

Disassembled the pod and then removed kill switch from it. In great shape, dry as a bone. Sprayed it w contact cleaner.

If the neutral sensor switch failed again, would it stop the bike from starting? And why would it go out between stopping and starting again five minutes later? I don't buy it.

I know it's electrical. It has to be. But what?

It's just really strange that you don't get a Neutral Light. Especially with the new switch. I'm thinking either you got a bad switch, which is entirely possible, or the sidestand switch. Work the kickstand switch a few times just to see.

When you had everything ripped apart, working on the N/S Switch.. did you check and make sure that all of the wiring was in good shape? nothing was grounding out? if the N/S Switch died out again already... you've got a bigger problem somewhere...

Well, I have inspected everything I can without pulling off wiring wraps. All connectors look good. No corrosion anywhere.

When the switch went out before the bike still ran. I just think it's something else.

Grounds are good.

I am completely stumped.

I don't think the neutral switch is out again. It really is acting like the kill switch is engaged. Basic emergency functions like lights and clock work. But no power is getting to the ignition, the fuel pump, nothing. Absolutely nothing happens.

Normally I would say side stand switch, but when poles are crossed nothing happens. Only other thing that relates to a kill is neutral switch, but it doesn't act like this when it fails.

you're sure the bike is in Neutral....

my next guess would be the main body ground... or the ground wire that runs over the top of the battery... with a white connector... that provides ground to the fuse block... which controls fuel pump, starter, etc.

Try these steps. This is from the GenI manual.

StarterTroubleshooting.jpg

So if it is the neutral switch again, that means, like Va Rider said, something is causing it.

If the groUnds are good, then what else could cause it?

Still not convinced that is the problem though.

Ok some questions to sleep on...

Would a bad neutral switch prevent any startup procedures? Ie: fuel pump priming etc.

If so, then what could cause it to fail suddenly? After it ran for over 500'miles and then after warmup then shutoff for 5 minutes, upon restart only lights come on, but nothing else will work.

If not the neutral switch then what else could it be? Grounds are good. Kill switch is good. Sidestand switch plunger is moving and wire is sound.

This is the third time I have had a problem with this bike that is difficult to diagnose. I am starting to think I have a lemon here.

Back