Bike won't turn over.

What do you all know about the starter circuit cutoff relay? What's the clymer say? The Haynes says it is connected to the side stand switch and transmission. My neutral switch was just replaced. I wonder if they are related? My neutral light isn't coming on, but I know it to functioning properly.

I asked this question a while back. Anybody got an answer!

Good news is, you've now ruled out the kill switch. Bad news is, we're still not at the root cause. So, clutch switch has continuity? side stand switch is bypassed and the kill switch jumpered doesn't start the bike. Neutral switch is replaced...

No neutral light with the bike clearly rollling and in neutral....

Have you tried the starter while in first and the clutch pulled?

Good news is, you've now ruled out the kill switch. Bad news is, we're still not at the root cause. So, clutch switch has continuity? side stand switch is bypassed and the kill switch jumpered doesn't start the bike. Neutral switch is replaced...

Yeah, we had him pushing the bike down the street to no avail.

I'm just stumped as to why there is no load when he hits the starter switch. There is definitely an open circuit somewhere in the ignition system. I'm looking through the service manual now.

Yes. I am beginning to look very closely at the starter circuit cutoff relay. Allnof thesecsafety systems run through this. My neutral switch went out a couple of times recently due to excess vibration which I have (hopefully) corrected. Cam chain tensioner was incorrectly seating the tensioner blades. Any hoo, I am beginning to suspect that the cut off relay has been shorted out from all of the problems/testing/crossing poles to troubleshoot.

What do you think?

I am going to test it. Have a manual telling me how to test it, but I need to get some wires set up to attach to a battery. Back in 20.

Last edited:
That is one piece of the puzzle that I'm not really familiar with so if it can be determined how to test it as good or faulty, then it is the next logical choice. Like Billy, I'm still baffled about why the neutral light is not coming on.

CutoffTest.jpg

Also found something... to test the neutral switch, you can take a paper clip and attach it to the wire to the switch and touch the clip to the engine to ground it. This should light the neutral light. If it does not, then the switch is bad. This switch is directly related to the clutch switch. This could mean that both pieces are in need of replacement to complete the circuit and allow the bike to start.

Found this too: The neutral light is a part of the circuit and if it is burned out, the bike will not start unless you pull in the clutch lever in which case the bike will start, such is in a stall at an intersection, unless the clutch switch is also bad.

Ok just read latest posts. Never run into this problem before but questions are being asked that have already been answered. Long thread!

Nuetral switch is brand new. Bike has never run since it's installation. Tested all wires and coonectors and continuity is good.

The neutral light is getting no power. Tested for continuity before and after connector in front o gas tank. No light,

Bike will jot start no matter what I do. Evrything works but start and engine...........

Have now tried everything I can even imagine.

I spent the last five days trying to find a fix for this. I can't believe a simple little electrical problem could be this difficult! One minute it's a beautiful fully dressed sport touring rocket. The next it's a pile of very expensive steel sitting there costing me money.

I just can't believe this!

I am going to go back to the beginning. The neutral switch. It's the only thing that makes sense. I have had two fail in the last month. It has to be related as ny said.

I will let everyone know what I find in the end. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Take out the neutral switch and ground the wire. If this IS the problem, you will have a permanent neutral light ON but be able to ride the bike. Just remember to always manually check for neutral (does the bike roll with the clutch out) before starting the bike because it WILL spin in any gear at that point! This would be a TEMP fix until you can discover what is taking out the switch.

I wonder if he was ever able to get the bike running? I know firsthand just how nerve racking troubleshooting can be. There is now another member with starting issues as well. (Crash) I hope they can get their issues figured out. It's so much easier having the bike in front of you instead of troubleshooting over the forum.

Back