Bike Lift - > Cheap

Up in our country we have a tool store much like the American "Harbor Freight" chain, called Princess Auto.

My boss bought a bike lift (made in china) for the shop after hearing me talk about buying one. This afforded me the oportunity to "try before I buy" and so far I like what I see. The stand has a claimed capacity of 1000 lbs. It weights in at 350 lbs and was a challenge to load and unload into a pickup in the flimsy wooden crate that it came in. The cost was $400.00

I loaded it myself this morning with my bike. I rode up carefully but had to back down off and set up some wood blocking since the stand is not wide enough to flip the bike's side stand down with the bike centered. I was able to put my feet down beside the bike on the stand, and a good thing since the deck sits about 7 inches off the floor. It has 4 holes for tie downs, one at each corner and I used the front 2 with Kinedyne bike tie downs to secure the bike after I walked it back up on try number 2.

The stand has a manual hydraulic jack to raise and lower the deck and it works with very little effort. It does have a basic lock that is adjustable dependant on the raised height to prevent dropping should the jack fail. It also came with a crude front wheel chock that is adjustable. It has casters on it, the front 2 are steerable and 4 adjustable "feet" to lock it in place once it is positioned in your shop. This one is powder coated in yellow, although they come in red and blue as well and seems to depend on the shipment as they are all the same.

For the price I may actually get one, or if the boss's Hardley won't fit on it I may get a deal on this one. Either way it appears to be capable of what I need and is stable enough that I trust it.

I took some crap cell phone pictures to give you an idea.

Once

Sorry your boss has a Hardley, dude. Does he ever ride with you? :popcorn:

Both the Mechanic and the Boss have Hardleys, I made the mistake once of going on a group ride with them and a few other metric cruisers that some of our drivers have. I am just not into the tour from bar to bar thing. I guess I'm not "ready for the lifestyle".

A bit more on the stand

Just so you get an idea of the width (the one from Harbor freight looks a bit wider, and has a full width ramp).

I also forgot to mention there is a removable plate under the back wheel that is supposed to make rear wheel removal easier. It has 1 inch channels under it to keep it from shifting as you ride over it, and it does the job. Because of a sloppy weld it does not sit flush (in the front left corner) when the stand is completely down.

Getting the bike up on the centerstand would be a challenge but could be done. I am planning to use the small scissor jack that I have (with the adjustable pads removed so it is a flat surface) under the bike since I have a nice flat skid plate to balance the bike on and raise the rear wheel.

Combine this with a nice wheeled mechanics stool and you won't have to worry about your knees and back anymore.

The KTM weighs about 466 lbs just for reference, so an FZ should be no problem, weight and size for a stand like this.

Last edited:
A poster over at the Sportster board I used to frequent had one like that. It fell over with the bike on it while it was up. My lift has a pipe that goes across the front and extends out the sides a foot or so. Those feet won't stop it from falling over. I would recommend doing something like that to your lift.

A poster over at the Sportster board I used to frequent had one like that. It fell over with the bike on it while it was up. My lift has a pipe that goes across the front and extends out the sides a foot or so. Those feet won't stop it from falling over. I would recommend doing something like that to your lift.

Our Mechanic is Vertically challenged and knows he won't be able to get his feet down beside his big pig of an Electra Glide when it's on the stand. I'll be surprised if it will pick it up. He is already planning to fabricate raised side platforms for feet and side stands. I'll suggest that he makes a removable bar to brace it from possibly falling over. Once I get one in my shop I'll do the same. A piece of square steel tubing and a couple of small "U" bolts would do the job.

Actually, I was wrong, mine is in the back.

RaiderShop3.jpg

No Contest

You win, you have air. I had one for a few years, my buddy took it back a few weeks ago.

Actually, I have yet to use the air, since my compressor is a pain to get to during the winter. The foot pump works so well, having a big foot pad and great leverage that I am not sure I'll use the air (other than the novelty factor).

Between being able to raise the bike and having a adjustable, rolling shop stool, oil changes are so much easier. Having to work on the lower half of the bike is easier. No more kneeling on the garage floor doing contortions to see something underneath the bike.

Hard to beat the price at Harbor Freight down there, or Princess Auto, up here.

Back