Better mileage for FZ1??

After having the FZ6 the FZ1 is just a flat out disappointment for mileage. I'm getting 35 mpg on a liter bike while my buddies on their 1300cc FJR and K1300GT are getting 42. Having said that I adore this bike, mileage notwithstanding. I'm pretty sure the bike's found a lot more shortcomings on my part.

I knew what I was getting into and mpg was last on the list. After a few years on two different FZ6 bikes I was more than ready to have more of everything. Making the move from the 6 to the 1 was easy... it's everything the 6 was and then so many pluses to add afterward that I can't type them.

Besides, when we tour, my wife likes that I have to stop when she is a half tank down. She gets more breaks that way. ;)

An FJR Iron Butt rider once said to me he considered getting the Gen2. One of his first mods would be adding an aux fuel tank.

I have a gen1 and get about the same mileage as gohot posted, about 42 or 43 mpgs but on 87 octane not Premium, around 180 to 200 before the light. The one time I filled up with premium was in Alabama, the gas mileage dropped significantly--IIRC, I barely made it to 150 miles on that tank. The best I ever got out of a tank was 224 just as the light was coming on. Of course, I'd never ridden that slow before or since.

If you're riding mostly freeway I can't see how you can keep your bike below 80.

I don't know whatfolks are expecting from these bikes. I get 37-39 MPG and am still happy with it, I also have a 07 Honda cruiser(1100) and get 42 MPG on that, so they are not far apart. Now I get 14.6 MPG in my Yukon Denali so you could see why I'm excited with my mileage on both bikes.

Yeah, I didn't buy my bike for the mpg either. I actually went to the dealer to spot an FZ6R, but I saw the FZ1 and music started playing in the background, you know.

I love the bike and I'll tell you what, the 2 hours I spend on it everyday going to and from work is the best part of my day. I just wanted to see what you guys were getting, b/c my mpg seems to be much lower. Thanks for the feedback, tho.

like most i bought my bike for pleasure 30-40 mpg is a happy bonus if looking for milage a good rule is the higher the rpm the lower the fuel economy fuel consumption is directly related to speed and rpm

Ok, Over the last 2 days I decided to keep a record of mileage and fuel used.
I managed to do 135 miles on 13.2 litres of fuel.
13.2 litres = 2.9 gallons - therefore 135/2.9 = 46.5mpg!!
BUT!! before you call me a liar, remember I am in the UK so I am using and Imperial gallon which differs from the US gallon. 1 Imp gallon = 1.2 US gallon.
If I was to do the same calculation using the US gallon:
13.2 litres = 3.48 US gallons - therefore 135/3.48 = 38.8mpg
So which ever way you look at it I'm still getting 10.22 miles per litre
I ride mostly motorway as try and keep a constant 75mph which is approx 4800rpm

I just filled up at lunch yesterday and got 46 mpg.
133 miles /2.891 gal = 46 mpg

I have no performance mods, just a new ZG Sport Touring windshield and frame sliders.

I too was rather disapointed by the fuel consumption of my 2009 model which I bought 2 months ago.
My 1st tankfull returned 40 mpg (UK Gallons).:frown:
My previous bike GSXR1000 K1 used to return abouut 50MPG.
I noticed that the engine runs cool at about 73C which may still be on the edge of enriched cold running, so I substituted a 92C stat for the stock 71C thermostat.
It results in the fan kicking in more frequently in town, but mileage has improved by more than 20% to almost 50MPG.:yes:

I love my GenI. This past weekend I stopped for fuel at 160 miles into the ride to Eric's house. It took 3.59 gallons to fill. Thats something like 44.4 mpg and running 75 to 80 mph the entire way. And thats with Ivans jet kit, a D&D slip-on, stock gearing, and the bike loaded with an estimated additional 50lbs of gear for the weekend! I can certainly live with that kind of mileage.:tup:

Stock gearing, Yoshi slip-on, K&N, Airbox mod, AIS removed, Cat removed: I just rode through a tank of gas without ever going over 3,000rpm all in-town riding & could only get 39.8mpg. Worst part was staying under 3k. for an entire tank.

Stock gearing, Yoshi slip-on, K&N, Airbox mod, AIS removed, Cat removed: I just rode through a tank of gas without ever going over 3,000rpm all in-town riding & could only get 39.8mpg. Worst part was staying under 3k. for an entire tank.

For in-town riding that is not bad mileage at all. I know you're saying that you never went over 3k RPM, but I'm sure you had to stop and accelerate again. That is where you use up a lot of gas...and yes I wouldn't be able to stay under 3k RPM for an entire tank :D

Boy, I should thank my lucky stars! I did the charity ride yesterday and filled up before leaving, reset my trip dial and left for the ride. This morning I rode to work and stopped to fill up by my job. I went 149.5 miles and it took 3.284 Gallons to fill. That puts me at 45.52 miles per gallon!, and thats with 16/45 gearing. I can live with those numbers.

I don't want to keep repeating what everyone else is saying: I actually have a slightly different take on it. I have a stock Gen 1 and I LOVE this bike!!! I agree that the most basic step to increase gas mileage is to change your driving style. However, I have found A HHHHUUUGGGGEEEE difference when I keep a constant speed. Now that speed can be 70mph or 55mph but the point is to keep your speed constant. My MPG dropps dramatically when I am darting through traffic - speeding up and slowing down, weaving and basically having fun :)
I honestly have not been very curious as to the difference between 55mph and 75mph because my Dodge Ram gets about 15mpg on the hiway so I am extremely pleased with my FZ1 mpg.

Just curious, what octane of fuel are most using? Does the higher octane make a difference in performance/economy???
kh:confused0024:

I always use 89 octane in my GenI. Whether it makes a difference in mileage, I don't know. Also, every 4th or 5th fill-up I'll throw in a tankfull of high test.

Last edited:
In Holland we work with kilometers and liters insteat of miles and gallons, so I need to calculate my most recent numbers.

Last weekend did a tour with my wife on the back, so most of the time easy riding, but occasionally rev it up till 10.000+ rpm.
We did on one tank 135,5 miles and needed 3,45 us gallons, so that is 39,3 miles to the us gallon.

That is the best I've ever done with my FZ1.
Usually I do around 33 miles to the us gallon.

This is with a stock FZ1, with Leo Vince slip on and 47 tooth sprocket on the back.

Back