Better mileage for FZ1??

Any ways to lower the fuel consumption?? normal riding about 3 to 4 k rpm changed gears , 1 litre of fuel give me only about 15- 16 km of mileage.:ugh:
will tune the ECU or PCIII help with the fuel consumption???

You can tune it for better fuel economy and with a lite throttle hand, get something better out of it but it's not going to be dramatic. This bike wasn't built for economy and if that is what you are looking for, perhaps either a second bike for economy or trading in for one that offers it? Maybe an FZ6 for commuting? I was averaging 55 mpg with that bike. I'm now at what Fuelly says in my sig.

This one is built for FUN and excitement. :D

If you take it easy on the throttle you should be able to hit the high 30's to low 40's. Of course that also depends on how much the bike has to haul around. I weigh 150 and would call myself a easy to middle throttle rider and I always got mid to high 30's, even when I was doing long highway 75 plus miles an hour. You probably can't do a lot about your weight but you can control your throttle hand. I also had a PCIII but that was to add fuel, not subtract from the supply.

Any ways to lower the fuel consumption?? normal riding about 3 to 4 k rpm changed gears , 1 litre of fuel give me only about 15- 16 km of mileage.:ugh:
will tune the ECU or PCIII help with the fuel consumption???

Most maps in use for the EFI system are going to increase your fuel consumption by making the mixture a bit richer. You might find that a smaller rear sprocket (4 teeth less) will still deliver good performance and should lower your fuel consumption. Ditto above comments about throttle use. That is the best way to get better mileage. It should be recognized that any motor vehicle will get better mileage when it is properly maintained and I'm sure you are up on that.

I doubled the air pressure recommendation in my tires to 60 psi and put on an experimental egg shaped faring. My fuel consumption went from 32mpg to 48 mpg. :justkidding: I'm a big fat liar, too. I get btw 31-34 around town and made 39 mpg on a highway only run.

Most maps in use for the EFI system are going to increase your fuel consumption by making the mixture a bit richer.
True. Yet DJ's PCV map for stock exhaust actually leans out the A/F ratio.
I'm checking now if my mpg is better. Yet, it's hard for me to stay off the throttle.

Last edited:
If i go for less 4 teeth on the rear sprocket, any side effects like speedo error??? the front sprocket still maintain the same teeth???

Of course there is going to be speedometer error. I am not even sure if there is enough adjustment in the rear wheel to compensate for such a smaller sprocket w/o shortening the chain. Plus you'll have to slip the clutch a whole lot in 1st gear to get going. The FZ1 already has a relatively tall 1st gear to begin with...

Saving fuel and money

so what is the best option i have???Maybe when the chain and sprockets is worn out then change to smaller rear sprocket.

Obviously if you want better mileage means you want to save money. It would follow then that you should not replace perfectly good components until they are worn out.

In your other thread you state you were going 125 kph in 6th gear.
The easiest way for better fuel economy is change your style of riding, some of the member here are getting high 30's to mid 40's (M.P.G.). You can't expect much better from a performance liter bike. If saving money and fuel is what you are after it is all in your hand (literally) and you won't need to spend anything to make it happen.:2cents:

I commute 60 miles each day mostly on the motorway, I keep to around 75mph and try to just use small throttle openings. I average about 42mpg and get about 140 from a tank of fuel.
However, when I go out for a "proper" ride I get a lot less than this, more like high 20's, low 30's
So really its all about how you ride, if you're careful you should get good mpg if you enjoy yourself then then its not going to be so good.

Gen II

I'm glad to see the 42 mpg rating is in question. I ride ~52 mi to work every day at about 90 mph in so cal... usu in 5th gear ~7k. I am getting 30 mpg flat. Some days I even kick it into 6th gear as much as possible and go easy on the throttle and I gain one or two mpg. My bike is an '09 bought in October 2009. I now have 12.5k mi on it and have done all the oil changes early. Idle is a little low, ~950. I bought the plugs, but didn't bother changing after reading other posts. I was already skeptical about plugs being changed out every time you fart. So in short... WTF? Was 42mpg a figment of some sort?

Riding easy, I come to about 180 miles before fill-ups, and thats without the light coming on, so it roughly works out to about 42 ish, mabe +, miles per gallon of premium, 400-600 foot elevation with a 260 lb rider, Stock gearing w/can and jet kit. Pluss Mobil 1 Synthetic.

Just a thought: I'm not Keen on the aftermarket lower farrings available for the Gen. 1's, but the farring aerodynamics should grab even more miles to the gallon/litre. Or even just a belly-pan should lower the turbulence/drag.

Anything that makes a smooth pass through the air and decreases drag, has to give increase mileage, past that its 'tune' and gearing.

I'm glad to see the 42 mpg rating is in question. I ride ~52 mi to work every day at about 90 mph in so cal... usu in 5th gear ~7k. I am getting 30 mpg flat. Some days I even kick it into 6th gear as much as possible and go easy on the throttle and I gain one or two mpg. My bike is an '09 bought in October 2009. I now have 12.5k mi on it and have done all the oil changes early. Idle is a little low, ~950. I bought the plugs, but didn't bother changing after reading other posts. I was already skeptical about plugs being changed out every time you fart. So in short... WTF? Was 42mpg a figment of some sort?

:poke: If you're doing 90 in fifth gear, you should consider yourself lucky to get 30 mpg. :D

You'd get 35+ if you did 75 in 6th gear. Your idle is too low... should be between 1050 and 1200. Simple to adjust. Drop your left hand to your side while sitting on the bike and your hand, in front of your leg, is almost touching the adjustment wheel. Twist it clockwise until you hit your mark.

Thanks FZ1inNH, I just adjusted it. Yeah, this morning I looked at the rpm's and I'm running 90 mph in 5th @ 6500 on an avg day. When I run it in 6th gear I don't do much better at all. I guess I should drive slower, but I haven't done any mods other than the turn signals in the headlight housing and figured I'd get better than ~30 - 31 mpg.

On a side note, does anyone have much knowledge of the Fuel exhaust cans? They look nice, but the price is dirt cheap and I'm curious about build quality.

I you want better fuel economy you should have bought a 250 or something. The FZ is a liter bike and the tank is small on the 2nd Gen's. I get 41's which is awesome for a liter bike...so I don't know what to tell you. I'm bone stock...and if I start messing with intake,FI, and exhaust my mileage will go down...probably. I'm quite happy with my mileage for a 1000cc bike...getting into the 40's is very respectable.

It's all a matter of perspective. It's all relative as Brad pointed out to. How many even looked at the mileage number before buying this or any other bike, really?

When it comes to mileage I'm taking the approach pictured below, Works for me!

Well I bought my FZ1 for fun, not for commuting so mileage isn't that important to me. I am taking the same approach as Oldschool. When the tank is empty I just fill it and enjoy the ride.

Back