Better mileage for FZ1??

When its empty I fill it up! Simple as.

The person I learned to ride with has a DULLville which exceeds 200 miles to the tank every time, but personally, id rather fill it up every 130 miles than ride something like that.

I have a brand new fz1 09 with now a little over 500 miles. Dumped break in oil at 100 miles to get out most of the junk. So far filling up with 89 octane getting usually 35mpg. Last fill up recorded was 3.7 gallons at 130 miles. Seems to be getting better with each mile. :D

Cobalt is SO RIGHT.

You can tune it for better fuel economy and with a lite throttle hand, get something better out of it but it's not going to be dramatic. This bike wasn't built for economy. This one is built for FUN and excitement. :D

I put three gallons in last week, getting 33mpg. Put in the same today after a weekend of goofing off and I got 30mpg. :disturbed

I am learning the lite hand. :rofl:

I took it up to 7k in 4th today in a 45mph zone and TOTALLY GOT IT. Above 7k it is ANOTHER KIND OF BIKE. WOW! :unworthy::unworthy::unworthy:

I typically get 50 mpg +/- during the summer months, with 52/53 being a common high figure and 47/48 being the low and all dependent on how much the thing on the right handlebar is being twisted.

During the cooler months, my mileage dropped right off and dropped to 43 to 48 mpg and I figured it had to be the seasonal changes to fuel made at the refineries.

Nothing at all wrong with the bike, runs well. No issues.

Anyway, in the course of routine maintenance, I pulled the old plugs; noting the gap at about .35 thou; and replaced with new NGK CR9E's. Also, replaced the gas filter.

When I started it up, it seemed louder at all throttle settings but I couldn't rationalize that and just filed it away but.........the gas mileage shot way up! I don't have an accurate handle on it yet but it is definitely over 50 mpg and I don't think it is due to seasonal changes in the fuel formula.

The first tankful went onto reserve at 210 (possibly due to the fact that the road to my parking space is noticeably downhill) but I still had well over a gallon of fuel left as I found out when I refueled. I figure it's possible to do 250 miles on a tank but I'd prefer to play it safe and refuel at 225.

Last edited:
I put three gallons in last week, getting 33mpg. Put in the same today after a weekend of goofing off and I got 30mpg. :disturbed

I am learning the lite hand. :rofl:

I took it up to 7k in 4th today in a 45mph zone and TOTALLY GOT IT. Above 7k it is ANOTHER KIND OF BIKE. WOW! :unworthy::unworthy::unworthy:

7k in 4th should be in the triple digits, I'd think or close to it. :) I can't remember, but I know I've see 86 at redline in 1st. Why is 1st so tall? Glad you are getting to open it up a bit. Peek torque isn't until 8k+ and peek HP is around redline. Have fun.

Anyway, I can only get about 30-36 mpg. I didn't buy this bike to save gas, I bought it to burn gas! Turns out, the FZ1 is awesome at burning gas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I get at least 200 miles on a tank, I shift at 3 mostly and i'm in top gear at 40+...If you can't hear your exhaust your doing it right...lol

tire choice can have a significant effect on MPG. On one extreme I see a noticeable drop in fuel economy due to a significant increase in rolling resistance from Dunlop 208gp's and my best recorded fuel economy was from the very low roling resistance (and poor traction) shinko raven. Obviously riding styles with these two extreme tire choices will efect fuel economy but rolling resistance is also a factor.

"Trying" to shift at 3k (in ALL GEARS) also = Less Noise

I get at least 200 miles on a tank, I shift at 3 mostly and i'm in top gear at 40+...If you can't hear your exhaust your doing it right...lol

I have been trying to do this and be in 6th by the time I reach the posted 45mph on some main roads across town to see if mileage improves.

BTW; I still have the db killer in my can, but yesterday I "briefly" set off a car alarm at 6am downtown (while TRYING TO BE QUIET) turning right at a stop sign. I am trying to be a quiet commuter. I HATE the HD riders at 3am opening up their throttles in residential neighborhoods. I do not want to be one of them. I LOVE the sound as the FZ1 decelarates.

(I had to go on the freeway last night. I did not want to be late to an appointment. MAN do I HATE rush hour traffic on a bike at 65mph). I am buying a taller windshield.

Good One

I don't know whatfolks are expecting from these bikes. I get 37-39 MPG and am still happy with it, I also have a 07 Honda cruiser(1100) and get 42 MPG on that, so they are not far apart. Now I get 14.6 MPG in my Yukon Denali so you could see why I'm excited with my mileage on both bikes.

When I can't carpool with the wife's Volvo I get 11 mpg in town with my 95 F150. 33mpg last week was great on this two-wheeled wonder. GRIN Factor very high.

The best I've seen is 44mpg. That was on a two-hour ride, bike never got above 55mph. I was leading a group of (mostly) cruisers through the local two-lane roads. We got lucky with the lights and caught nearly all of them green. I was SO easy on the throttle, and kept the RPMs super-low. I was shocked when I calculated the mileage, as I'd been seeing mid-30's for most of my riding.

Lesson learned from that ride: Yes, I can get decent mileage out of my FZ1, but all the fun is taken out of riding it at that point. I'll trade 36mpg for a grin that threatens to open my head up like a PEZ dispenser if it weren't for my helmet.

why worry about fuel use ? your riding a litre beast if your so bothered about it pick up a lil scooter hehe have fun floggin it around as for incresing the tyres to that much psi hope u are used to a lil sideways drifting guess adds to the fun haha

Everybody's different. Some people care about mileage. The FZ1 isn't some firebreathing race bike, it's an every day bike. If you ride a lot, there's money to be saved by caring about economy

I don't buy the point that FZ1 is a high performance literbike so the mpg is expected to be crap. Wrong! It is a do it all bike that should give good mpg as well as good performance if not the best! My issue is, almost all it's literbike 4 cylinder counterparts give better mpg when ridden the same way. This is what happens when you to mess around with an SS engine built ground up with specific goals in mind. It is just not going to work that way. What we have is poorer performance, poorer mpg in stock form than the donor R1 generation where that engine came from. The only thing we gained is the comfort, price, brutal naked muscle bike looks.

I am absolutely loving the 09 FZ1 I picked up a few weeks back. It has quickly become my favourite devil steed of all time. the power is astonishing and other than still a slight wiggling routine when I filter between small gaps of stationary traffic its proving a huge joy every single ride. Only gripe is the fuel economy. Which seems even more wretched than I had researched...I seem to be getting around 24mpg! I chucked in 18.3 litres and got 121km before the F trip ticker appeared on my last refill.

Does this seem exceptionally low? Likely I am riding it with the same zeal as I have been riding my R6s for the last 5 or 6 years. And the power is just so damn addictive. Still...does such a figure seems normal...for playful city use?

I am absolutely loving the 09 FZ1 I picked up a few weeks back. It has quickly become my favourite devil steed of all time. the power is astonishing and other than still a slight wiggling routine when I filter between small gaps of stationary traffic its proving a huge joy every single ride. Only gripe is the fuel economy. Which seems even more wretched than I had researched...I seem to be getting around 24mpg! I chucked in 18.3 litres and got 121km before the F trip ticker appeared on my last refill.

Does this seem exceptionally low? Likely I am riding it with the same zeal as I have been riding my R6s for the last 5 or 6 years. And the power is just so damn addictive. Still...does such a figure seems normal...for playful city use?
24 mpg is really low. My own bike has a full exhaust, Ivan's ECU flash and I get around 35 mpg with a mixture of city and twisties riding.
Do you have a Power Commander ? It sounds like your bike is running rich and needs a new map.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The best I've seen is 44mpg. That was on a two-hour ride, bike never got above 55mph. I was leading a group of (mostly) cruisers through the local two-lane roads. We got lucky with the lights and caught nearly all of them green. I was SO easy on the throttle, and kept the RPMs super-low. I was shocked when I calculated the mileage, as I'd been seeing mid-30's for most of my riding.

Lesson learned from that ride: Yes, I can get decent mileage out of my FZ1, but all the fun is taken out of riding it at that point. I'll trade 36mpg for a grin that threatens to open my head up like a PEZ dispenser if it weren't for my helmet.

Clyde hit it on the head. If you want good mileage ease up on the throttle, shift early and keep the speeds at or below 60mph. If you want to have fun then you must be willing to pay the price of lower fuel economy. This really applies across the board for both motorcycles and automobiles.

24 mpg is really low. My own bike has a full exhaust, Ivan's ECU flash and I get around 35 mpg with a mixture of city and twisties riding.
Do you have a Power Commander ? It sounds like your bike is running rich and needs a new map.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think there is a slight oddness with the sensor in the tank. Now and then it seems to suggest I am empty and heads to F-trip, yet I turn off and on and the real levels are then shown.

I took the beast for a lengthy ride with a fair amount of 100km/h Plus riding and the mileage was wonderful. Since then, my regular city riding now seems to give me 165-170km from a full tank before the F-trip kicks in. Which would make my mpg??? How much is in the tank before the Ftrip kicks in?

No power commander. Everything is stock!

Last edited:
Don't bother worrying about what the f-trip says in regards to judging fuel economy. The best thing for you to do is simply fill the tank up, reset your trip meter and go ride. When you get gas next time, just divide the mileage by how much fuel it took to fill the tank back up; there's your km/L.

1 km/L = 2.35 miles per gallon US or 2.82 MPG UK if you want to compare

Most I've got out of mine was 80% highway and got 180km.

I'd say with what you are getting on a stock bike it would be around correct for a melbourne commute.

Back