Been wrong for sooooo long. (A thread about coffee)

Ok... here's what I got today....

P13747545.jpg

Hamilton Beach Single Serve Scoop Coffee Maker | Overstock.com
So far.. I dig it... one cup at a time... without having to use those damn K-Cups... it's a steel filter, with a finer mesh filter under that... all washable deals.. so no more buying coffee filters... Also since they're metal, they don't trap the natural oils in the coffee like paper filters do. ... and the winning feature is that I can make my full tilt coffee, and my preggers wife can make a cup of decaf... she's been missing coffee like crazy, but I'm not making decaf.

Its kind of funny that "Cowboy Coffee" is not much different than a french press :tup: as long as you make it right, I also agree theres a lot to the water you use.
For those that dont know...Cowboy coffe is made in a pan. heat the water to a boil, let stand a few, (bringing the temp to just below a boil, 200 or so (not that one is measuring)) . pour in coffee directly in pan, let stand a few, pour a little cold water in which settles the grounds to the bottom and your good to go.

Found an awesome coffee website

Glad to see this thread going strong. I have really enjoyed reading and learning from all the coffee lovers.
I was searching for comparisons between the Starbucks Expresso Makers and the Saeco Expresso Makers and I found this:

This links to the forums

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/

This links to the Homepage. Has all kinds of articles and pretty much anything you can think of ...

http://coffeegeek.com/

This is a really good looking website. Seems to have just about anything you could think of concerning the bean.

Last edited:
I admit I'm not a coffee guy. When forced to drink in long corporate meetings it was close to awful. But then I've been hearing about Starbucks and Howard Schultz bringing excellent coffees from Europe.. I wanted to believe it was much better coffee. But maybe it was the social and somewhat snob/elitist thing with Starbucks.
Which is it - or what is it? What really is good coffee? I haven't had a cup since my last nasty cup in a looooong General Dynamics engineering meeting - many years ago.
Tell true....

I have had my coffee ups and downs. A lot of it has to do with who I'm working with. If I'm around a bunch of drinkers than I will be a social drinker ;) When I was a counselor in New Braunfels - the whole group of counselors went to the local coffee shop on the square a block away. I had some damn good coffee at that local coffee house. Good times too.
Starbucks has good coffee in my opinion. They have so many different varieties and flavors that it's just a matter of time before you find something that you like. However a lot of their products do not qualify for the traditional definition of "coffee".
Price is a big deal and a prohibitive factor for a lot of people. In fact, before that job in New Braunfels, I was the biggest ANTI Starbucks guy in the world but a pharmaceutical sales rep used to bring us Starbucks for breakfast each morning. That was my introduction.
From that point - it's just a matter of personal opinion .... or taste :D

As a coffee wanna-be or noobee, walking into a Starbucks is an intimidating thing - something to be avoided. So many "coffees" and you don't have any idea what just a plain, good coffee would be there.... what with all the flavored coffees with the exotic and confusing names.
What does a noobee do???

And I, too, appreciate that this thread is continuing. I hope to learn a bunch!

As a coffee wanna-be or noobee, walking into a Starbucks is an intimidating thing - something to be avoided. So many "coffees" and you don't have any idea what just a plain, good coffee would be there.... what with all the flavored coffees with the exotic and confusing names.
What does a noobee do???

And I, too, appreciate that this thread is continuing. I hope to learn a bunch!

SUMATRA. Your welcome. ;)

But, they don't always have that. Usually it's Pikes Peak.

My favorite coffee has been Millstone. I have been getting the beans and grinding it fresh for a few years now. We have a coffee store called Biggby in Michigan that has really good coffee and is better than Starbucks IMHO.

So, the Hamilton Beach Single cup coffee maker ended up sucking. It just started making really crappy coffee. Half of the time, you can watch the liquid coming out of the bottom of the filter assembly, and it's perfectly clear... not even colored by the coffee grounds... I don't know what the hell is wrong with the damn thing.

So.. I went out and bought a french press this morning.

Oh. My. God.

I should have done this from the beginning.

So.... Now, I'm up to the french press, and a conical burr grinder. (After going through about 6 different grinders) ... You would think that one day I would learn... but... no. I never do.

Bike stuff - Started cheap.. worked my way up with better and better, until I finally ended up buying what I should have in the first place.

Camera Stuff - Started with consumer grade Rebel line... ended up with professional grade camera and lenses.

Coffee gear - Started with a drip machine and blade grinder... then to better drip machine and burr grinder.... then better grinders and better drip machine... then finally, conical burr grinder and french press....

The next time I'm looking to buy something... I'm just going to go buy the best damn thing out there to start with.

So, the Hamilton Beach Single cup coffee maker ended up sucking. It just started making really crappy coffee. Half of the time, you can watch the liquid coming out of the bottom of the filter assembly, and it's perfectly clear... not even colored by the coffee grounds... I don't know what the hell is wrong with the damn thing.

So.. I went out and bought a french press this morning.

Oh. My. God.

I should have done this from the beginning.

So.... Now, I'm up to the french press, and a conical burr grinder. (After going through about 6 different grinders) ... You would think that one day I would learn... but... no. I never do.

Bike stuff - Started cheap.. worked my way up with better and better, until I finally ended up buying what I should have in the first place.

Camera Stuff - Started with consumer grade Rebel line... ended up with professional grade camera and lenses.

Coffee gear - Started with a drip machine and blade grinder... then to better drip machine and burr grinder.... then better grinders and better drip machine... then finally, conical burr grinder and french press....

The next time I'm looking to buy something... I'm just going to go buy the best damn thing out there to start with.

Here you go then: Venus Bar

I was thinking along those lines for my car, but the Bugatti just won't fit in my garage.

when I brought my french press into work, people thought it was some ancient torture contraption.... after having a cup or two from it... with fresh ground beans... they were like, wow...

I got introduced to the french press in England (funny... also where I learned to like tea. now that's a whole other thread itself)... been using it off and on for years... the coffee just comes out perfect every time.

^^^^^^^^

I have read that those little pods in the picture are $2 or $3 a pop!!! WOW!!!!! Some people also say that you can get more than one shot of cappuccino per pod??
IDK - Why can't someone just build the perfect cappuccino machine? ~ and it be affordable for everyone??? :rtfm:

Any of these single cup dealios.... I can't do it.. I drink too much coffee... We have a Keurig at work, and it pretty much goes unused once we all realized that we were spending $10 a day on those stupid little cups...

You can buy an empty cup and use your own coffee.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-Reusable-Coffee-Filter/dp/B000DLB2FI"]Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Thanks for the info guys - $400 plus the price of those little pods???? UGH!!!! It seems like it would take a while to get back in the black. Add up clean up and other factors - this thing would have to be pretty perfect for me to bite.

Back