Basic / Must have garage tools

I was just talking to Adam as he was trying to diagnose a problem with a trailer connection... and it got me to thinking....

What tools do you think are necessary garage tools? The stuff that everyone should have in their garage?

I'll start things off:

Metric Sockets 3/8" Drive - Minimum 8mm-19mm
Metric Sockets 1/4" Drive - Minimum 6mm - 13mm
Metric Wrenches - 8mm - 19mm
Standard Sockets 3/8" Drive - Minimum 1/4" - 7/8"
Standard Sockets 1/4" Drive - Minimum 1/4" - 1/2"
Standard Wrenches - 1/4" - 7/8"
Extensions 1/4" - 1", 3", 6"
Extensions 3/8" - 3", 6", 10"
Screwdriver set from Jeweler's Size to #3 Screw size.
1/4" Driver set with assorted bits (Allen, Torx, screwdrier, etc)
Allen Wrench set (Long handle or t-handle) - Metric 2mm - 10mm; Standard 3/32 - 3/8"
12V Test Light
Electrical Meter w/ continuity tester
Assorted Spark plug sockets
Oil Filter cap wrenches to fit the vehicles you own.
Nylon and Steel wire brushes.
Large and Small needle nose pliers
90 degree needle nose pliers
Standard Pliers
Vise Grips - standard nose and needle nose
C-Clamp - large and small
Electrical Tape
Basic Electrical connectors
Electrical Strippers / Crimpers
Emory Cloth
Black RTV
Duct Tape
WD-40
Drill and GOOD Drill bits

That's a good start I think.... add to the list... What are your must have items?

Last edited:
No way.... that's the wrong answer.... you've gotta learn to turn your own wrenches.... sure... if you're a little uncomfortable about doing it... have him supervise at first... until you get the hang of it.... then take over... make it your show.

I never would have guessed! I am actually well stocked with tools. I have everything on this list. Maybe I am more of a wrench monkey than I thought?

so much for my flying under the radar......

working on it this morning -- and hopefully my problem will be solved.

among other things.....

Tap/die Kit (handy for when your previous American owner does not stay metric with the bolts)
Mighty Vac Brake bleeder
Front/Rear stand -- not a necessity but nice to have,

Last edited:
Ducttape.jpg

-- not a necessity but nice to have,

If we're going to start with that stuff.....

I do love my:
Snap-On tire changing machine
Snap-On Balancer
Snap-On Lift
Dual Stage Air Compressor
Trex front pin lift and rear stands
Deep well sockets of all of the above
1/2" Drive ratchet and sockets of the above for bigger tasks
MityVac
Carb Sync tool
Feeler gauges and valve shim kit
Compression tester
Chain breaker / rivet expander

I didn't mean to call you out Adam... but it did get me thinking... of the tools I have and just take for granted... When I asked you if you had a test light, it never occurred to me that you wouldn't... So.. it got me thinking... and there's no better place to think out-loud than here on the forum....

I got to thinking about tools that I'd like to add to what I have... and I couldn't think of too much... I have a wide selection of air tools that makes jobs go pretty quickly... but many times I like using my manual tools because then I feel more connected to the job...

Here's a good idea for carring with you :

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/MasterMind-800309-Metric-Folding-Wrench/dp/B002TUSQPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1288200221&sr=8-1-spell]Amazon.com: MasterMind 800309 Flip to Fit Metric Folding Wrench: Automotive: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

If it can't be fixed with duct tape and bailing wire, then it can't be fixed.

More tools...

Multimeter
Calipers
Spring puller
Impact driver/wrench
Dead blow hammer

I have a table with the legs cut down and on lockable wheels that I can roll the bikes onto with a ramp. It's great to not be stooped over while working on them. I can also unlock the wheels on the table and move the bike around the garage.

Back