Bar ends

Hi All,
I've done a search but couldnt find the info I need so I do apologise if this has been asked before.

I am getting weird sensations in my left hand when out on the FZ for a few hours. Not so much numbness but more that my left hand loses all its strength. I can hardly even hole a pen. It gets better over the next few days though.

I had read that it could be down to vibration through the bars so I thought that I would try and fix that first and take it from there.

My intention was to remove the bar ends, fill the bars with BB or fishing weights then replace the bar ends with heavier ones. The problem is that when I removed the OEM bar end there is still a threaded bit inside. Can this be removed? If so then how?

thanks David

I think you will find the threaded sleeve is spot welded through the bars,you would have to find then drill em out. It may be a better option to replace the bars with some renthals or the like, how long you had the fz ? , I found my right arm went a bit like that and really cold,dont seem to get it so much now ,may be it needs a little more time

Hi,
Thanks for reply. Only had the bike for about 3 weeks. That was only my second lengthy run (447 miles) and it has actually happened both times.

Think I might take your advice and put on some Renthals. I've bought some Stomp grips for the tank as I thought that would help take some weight off my hands so I'll maybe give that a couple of runs first.

If that fails then I will go for a slightly more upright set of Renthals.

Thanks again David

I doubt it is vibration causing the issue, else, you right hand would likely have the same issues. It is likely the bar bend and your wrist angle causing the problem. I am short and did not like the stock bar position. I first switch to lower risers and that was better for me. I now use Convertibars and move the bars to a high position for long rides and 2-up riding.

I doubt it is vibration causing the issue, else, you right hand would likely have the same issues. It is likely the bar bend and your wrist angle causing the problem. I am short and did not like the stock bar position. I first switch to lower risers and that was better for me. I now use Convertibars and move the bars to a high position for long rides and 2-up riding.

I agree the wrist position makes a big difference & can cause discomfort, numbness & pain, also the neck position can have these negative effects.

I don't mean to be an alarmist, and I'm certainly no doctor, but you might want to have your hand/wrist checked out for carpal tunnel. I know that, for me, the throttle hand is usually the hand that goes numb because their is more chance for vibration in the right grip. If it is your left hand, you might want to look into this.

I looked into Carpel Tunnel and one of the most common symptoms with that is numbness. I am not experiencing any numbness at all, just a loss of strength in my left hand only. My throttle hand is fine.

If I change the bars etc and it doesnt work I will be paying the doc a visit though.

Incidently, does anybody know, If I change the bars to a Medium Rise set of Renthal bars, will all the cables etc reach? I know when I fitted a comfort kit with renthals to my SV that I had to extend the cables.

Back