Armor advice?

I've got some extra coin together, so I figure I might as well blow it on something (I hope) I will never use. Right now I ride in Icon riding jeans, a Shift jacket with elbow and back padding, combat boots (laces tucked in), leather gloves with knuckle armor, and a helmet.
On hot days, just running across town or something, I am sometimes guilty of riding in a tshirt. I find my jacket pretty hot, but I still know better than to ride unprotected. I love the feel of no jacket on a hot day, though. Anyway, the purpose of this thread isn't to justify riding with improper gear. I am fixing this situation and am looking for some opinions on exactly what to do.
The set up I have seen and liked best so far is: Icon Field Armor Stryker Rig, Stryker Shorts, and Stryker Knee/Shin Guards. My thinking is that I can take the padding out of my jacket and wear the rig under it, or just pull a tshirt over the rig on hot days and leave the jacket. I'd just wear the rig, but maybe too storm-trooper-ish? The shorts and knee/shin protection will be an everyday (and much needed) suppliment to the riding jeans.
Does anyone use these products? How do you like them? Are there similar but better items available? The Stryker Rig is a little pricey. If it's the best I don't mind spending the dough, but if I'm paying $150 for the rig and $100 for the name, please direct me to a product of equal quality and less cost.
Any input is appreciated, although I will point out that, if you choose to explain to me that I'm an idiot for riding in a tshirt, you're not telling me anything new. I've been lucky so far, but I need to cut it out! Help me choose the gear I need!

ATGATT! My neighbor was hit going 20mph behind a KFC drive thru by a lady who was texting and didn't look up. Compound fracture with 2 protruding bones of his lower leg. Harley guy wearing only a helmet.

Whatever you get, make sure you are protected. Skin isn't cheap.

You have to figure out what kind of gear it is you need so that you'll actually choose to put it on every time you ride. The best gear is pointless if you can't be bothered to wear it. Go and try it on in the store and see if you can imagine yourself going to all that trouble just to roll down to the pub or whatever.

Everyone's got a different idea of what hot is. When I'm out riding for fun or on trips, I use a basic, black, non-ventilated two-piece leathers. I've been out in 30-40c temperatures in it and find it just fine when moving and drinking water from my Camelbak.

This is what I would suggest. Cheap, very effective and comfortable. I have gone through tons of different styles of gear to finally find what it is I prefer to wear the most

I'll be honest; I'll probably never gear up 100% to run to KFC. I know that's I'd be safer if I did, but I guess I'm just a hammerhead that way. I might get hit be a car walking to the garage to get my bike out, but I'm not going to gear up to do that, either. I am looking for an alternative to a jacket when I'm going for a real ride or riding to work on a hot day.
I generally don't mind gearing up; it's not an issue as far as leaving to ride. I just don't like sitting in town in traffic with my jacket on. And then, when I'm riding down a sidestreet, I think "gee, I wish I could get away without a jacket on the highway, because this feels nice." These armor rigs look like a viable alternative. I'm going to end up buying one, because walking around a motorcycle showroom with it on isn't really going to tell me if I like it for riding or not. Just wondering who uses one, what to look for in this particular product.
As far as the lower-body stuff, again, probably not going to grab knee guards to run over to my Dad's on the other side of town (pop. 8000, not like going to the other side of L.A.) but I want to feel more protected when I ride to work or go out on the weekend, but like riding jeans because I feel a little more normal if I grab lunch, or visit with a buddy, or basically do anything off my bike.

I would upgrade your boots and find a good summer jacket. I have found it is nice to have options when you ride. I have my winter jacket and a summer jacket, that way if it's cold out I have something I can wear and if it's hot out I have an option that will allow me to breath and has great air flow. There are many options out there so I would say take a look around and see what you like. I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0 that has been great but the stitching is starting to come loose on it. So I'm thinking about maybe looking for something else. My winter jacket is a Tourmaster and it has been great.

Having a couple sets of gloves is a good idea too, I have done the same where I have a pair I can wear when it gets cold and one that breaths really well. Both are leather with armor and full gloves too, I don't go for the cut off ones. But that I my preference.

In the end make sure it's something you like in the style department because if you think it's ugly you won't want to wear it, then make sure it fits and does the job you want it to do.

-my 2 cents worth-
happy riding!

To each his own, but you've heard "better to sweat than bleed" probably?

I used to wear less and at times have worn inferior gear. But now it's pretty much all leather all the time. I've seen too many things and had the chance to upgrade my stuff.

For me, if you have the money, Dainese leather, Sidi boots. The best gloves I've ever owned are Held phantom. sportbiketrack gear dot com is your friend. Revzilla has armor called Forcefield that is exceptional. They have vests with chest protection that does NOT have a split down the middle of the chest (like many of the other brands do).

But like mentioned by Dustin, try it on (or order from where you can exchange it) and see what you like and what you can wear for extended periods of time (so that you WILL wear it). If you are truly concerned about protection, that is. Most riders I see around here don't wear much. But when you need it, it is invaluable.

I'll be honest; I'll probably never gear up 100% to run to KFC. I know that's I'd be safer if I did, but I guess I'm just a hammerhead that way. I might get hit be a car walking to the garage to get my bike out, but I'm not going to gear up to do that, either. I am looking for an alternative to a jacket when I'm going for a real ride or riding to work on a hot day.
I generally don't mind gearing up; it's not an issue as far as leaving to ride. I just don't like sitting in town in traffic with my jacket on. And then, when I'm riding down a sidestreet, I think "gee, I wish I could get away without a jacket on the highway, because this feels nice." These armor rigs look like a viable alternative. I'm going to end up buying one, because walking around a motorcycle showroom with it on isn't really going to tell me if I like it for riding or not. Just wondering who uses one, what to look for in this particular product.
As far as the lower-body stuff, again, probably not going to grab knee guards to run over to my Dad's on the other side of town (pop. 8000, not like going to the other side of L.A.) but I want to feel more protected when I ride to work or go out on the weekend, but like riding jeans because I feel a little more normal if I grab lunch, or visit with a buddy, or basically do anything off my bike.

It's all up to you, of course. IF you need it. I think I read a report that the majority of incidents in motorcycle related were at 30mph and less. Somehow those short little rides when you don't expect it. Mostly with another vehicle too :eek5:

I used to have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket that was basically just armor panels held together with mesh. I always regretted selling it when I was between bikes and will probably buy another one here soon as it's getting HOT in socal these days.

If you're going somewhere in a hurry I agree that leathers are the safest, but for errand running some impact armor in a mesh lining will keep you alive. You might lose some skin once the mesh shreds, but the armor plating will take the brunt of the initial impact so at least you won't die.

This is kind of what I had:Teknic Supervent Mesh Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

I have a icon chest protector and other than protecting your spin it's all looks and just about useless unless you have elbow pads. I know alpinestars makes a pretty decent vest and elbow pads. If you have elbow pads and gloves along with the vest your points of contact will be protected. For the most part it will save your skin.

Gear

Brock,
I am looking at the same options. We use undershirt armor for motocross practice and racing. At first I thought it was a bit hot but after a few rides I really like the connected feel rather than external protection that moves around a lot. I guess it's all what you are used to. For me I play hockey and am a firefighter so I am used to being sweaty with lots of gear on but not everyone likes that feeling. And I total get your t-shirt on a nice day comment it doesn't get much better than that but...
Let us know what you get and what you think of it.

If you're used to the sweatyness and having the extra armor on thats no problem. One of the things that I enjoy is being able to take off the jacket with all the armor for proper ventillation quickly... Joe Rocket jackets do a great job of making mesh jackets. Motorcyclehouse and you can find them on eBay too, they make some good budget mesh jackets as well. http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/motorcycle-jackets.htm

i have a joe rocket "alter ego" jacket. the liner houses all the armor, elbows, forearms & back, & zips out. its like two jackets in one. chest protector will be my next purchase.

I've had those armors thinking exactly what you are thinking. Didnt really work for me though. Especially when I get to where ever I wanted to go wearing armor inside a hoody.+ I'd rather be seen as a biker than a guy wearing some weird looking sh*t under his cloths.
Ended up getting a Joe Rocket mesh summer jacket. In terms of temp. its almost like wearing only t shirt. Air flows right through. Protection wise, its never going to be as protective as leathers but it has CE approved shoulder, elbow armor and back protector.

Back