Are they outta their friggin' minds?

With a totally new strategy I left the GW idea in my back pocket and showed up with checkbook in hand to buy a third bike: a red, white, and blue, non-abs CBR250. They list for 2012 as $4099. I had called ahead to see if they had one so I didn't haggle on the phone, just showed up. Bottom line: The OTD price was nearly $5500! I said you must be outta your friggin' mind. Nope, that was their best price and they weren't going to budge.

I called down to the place I wrote about and spoke with Mike, my new favorite sales guy. He said, unfortunately Honda is playing this game where they are telling the customer MSRP is $4099 but that is virtually the price they themselves pay for it and if they don't add freight, setup, etc. they won't make a dime on it. He didn't think the above price was outlandish but he did make me the best deal around for the GW and he said he'll see what he can do with the little CBR. My friend Eric tells me up north the customers are getting them for around $4400-$4600 OTD which makes more sense to me. I'll see what Mike comes up with. They've been very good to me so far.

Well I know that CBR250 has been a good seller and dealers don't usually keep them in stock for too long. I guess it's all about supply and demand, but IMHO that bike is not worth $5500 OTD.

Do you really need a 2012? Wont a 2011 do? Look at this deal:

Honda : CBR Honda : CBR | eBay

It's not in Florida, but even paying shipping it's still not bad...

When I was shopping for the FZ1 I was amazed at the difference between dealers when it came to all the " extra charges "

The bike with the lowest advertised price ended up being the worst price out the door. :wtf:
Take your time and wait for a good price !

How about a late model Ninja 250? ~$3500 on CL.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Norm won't go for it (and I wouldn't either) because there's no fuel injection. I cannot believe they sell these everywhere BUT the US with EFI and ship us only carb/choke models otherwise, it would be an excellent choice.

The EFI on the CBR250R is one of the bigger reasons it is unable to remain in stock anywhere.

I also told Norm to check the dealers here since he's coming up several weeks from now. It could be loaded into his trailer next to the FZ1 and hauled back if the price is right.

I almost dropped my phone when he said $5500!!

Yea, Eric's right. I hate carbs and really like the fuel injection. I wish it had 2 cylinders like the Ninja but a modern day thumper will probably be smooth enough. Those are all good suggestions above. Tony, you're right: doesn't have to be a 2012. I have time on my side. I'll just keep checking around. I'll call NH tomorrow for a "northern" price.

I have ridden one of those for a short ride and I liked it. It's just a fun bike and the single-cylinder is just as smooth as it was on the CBR125 (which you guys didn't get).

I have ridden one of those for a short ride and I liked it. It's just a fun bike and the single-cylinder is just as smooth as it was on the CBR125 (which you guys didn't get).

Thank you Dustin. I appreciate that review. I've never ridden one but have ridden the little Ninja and liked it. I was just telling my friends on the other board, as Eric and I have spoken about, I'd like to have a bike that is a little less intimidating than the two I have for newer riders. Also I figure the more bikes I have the better chance of getting more visitors like Billy, Tony, Dustin, Johnny...

Also I figure the more bikes I have the better chance of getting more visitors like Billy, Tony, Dustin, Johnny...

Can I get on that list Norm????
My son Steve is "talking" to a company in Ft. Meyers, FL. about possible employment......we'll see.....and as a plus, he'll have his own FZ1!

Can I join that list too Norm?? I love riding in Florida and, I have the FZ for going fast (on FZ days), and I can bring the Helix 250 for the days when 250 cc's is enough, and the gas is pushing $5 /gallon . . .
please, please, please , , , ,?

Brenda and Pilot you're on the list. And you know I love that Helix! Just PM me and I'll give you my cell. Then we can plan from there. Trying to work something out with Dustin if I can. But with three bikes we can have 2 riders visiting at a time.

Yea 2wheelMax you're right. The Versys rides beautifully but it sits tall and even though the FZ1 can go faster I'd say you still kinda need the same skill level to ride it because of the high sitting position. Just my opinion though.

Norm, if you change your mind on the Ninja let me know, I am thinking about selling mine or my wife's. It is a 2006 all black with less than 500 miles on it. She just is really uncomfortable riding on the street alone and prefers riding with me on the back. I have taken very good care of it. Pete

Norm, if you change your mind on the Ninja let me know, I am thinking about selling mine or my wife's. It is a 2006 all black with less than 500 miles on it. She just is really uncomfortable riding on the street alone and prefers riding with me on the back. I have taken very good care of it. Pete

Thank you very much Pete. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Last fall dealers still had leftover 09' Versys' between $5k-$5400 +++. Still below $6k OTD, now I am not seeing anything left. I will keep looking and post if I do. The Kawi dealer in Orlando was the least expensive followed by LAke Wales.

Last fall dealers still had leftover 09' Versys' between $5k-$5400 +++. Still below $6k OTD, now I am not seeing anything left. I will keep looking and post if I do. The Kawi dealer in Orlando was the least expensive followed by LAke Wales.

Thank you very much!

I've done a lot more reading Norm and the forum folks up this way are paying no more than $4700 OTD for the 250R. That is more reasonable.

The bike is an awesome around town bike with the ability to corner WELL. The gas mileage (as fuel prices continue to climb!) is unbeatable for a sport bike. The low seat height and wet weight of the bike make it a breeze for any rider to cruise with you. Granted, you and said-rider will not be doing the mad-dashes WE did together but they can certainly enjoy the Florida weather and your great company.

Curious about the big dealer's price and to find out what you discover about pricing up here. I may call Freedom today and inquire as well for you.

Back