Air Box Mod?

As it has been pointed out, Ivan was not the originator of this mod. And, the dyno charts he posted, and the fact that I did the mod, had nothing to do with buying anything from him. Truth is, everyone on the FZ1OA who has done the mod, then got a dyno tune has posted significant gains in every area of the power range. Throttle response is also much better, especially in conjunction with Ivan's, Copperdog's or no flies. Selling me one of his downloads? I don't even know what you're talking about on that one, man.
We are also not putting on individual pods on this bike. But, putting them on a Gen 1 has also shown marked improvements from more places than Ivan's, provided it's fueled right. I'd be willing to bet that a great tuner could put pods on this fuel injected model and work some goodness, but I could be wrong on that. I don't know, so unlike what you did here with me, I won't make any assumptions until I know for sure. Have you seen flow charts or done airflow or air/fuel measurements to verify any of what you said here about how much the stock air box flows? These car and motorcycle companies restrict everything that comes to our showrooms now.
One more thing...if you look closely at the dyno charts on Grave's site, there are losses associated with those stacks. You gain in some areas, but may lose in others. But, then you might argue that Graves is trying to sell you something too, no? You bought them, and believed their claims. What makes them any different than Ivan's? Why are
they not telling you anything to sell their product?

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but you came out of the gate making assumptions about what I was doing, and how. Folks who do that are usually wrong. I know when I do it, I'm usually wrong.

On another, and final factual point, my FZ1 after all the mods is a totally different bike. Better gas mileage, obvious gains in power, better throttle response and no hesitation after decel when reapplying the gas. There are things I can do with ease that I tried to do with the bike stock that I just couldn't do.

Well...I guess Ive said enough. Sorry...pet peeve is people assuming what they don't know. I hate when I do it too.

Ivan is a salesman. He will tell you anything to legitimize his business. I’m sure his gains were based on selling you one of his downloads. In reality the stock airbox will flow more air than you can actually use on the street. The worst thing you can do it put on individual filter pods. Opening up the inlet side of the stock airbox increases the impression ratio more than anything else. The best thing about the airbox mod discussed is it doesn’t cost anything to do but your time. I did it and it sound nice. No real horsepower gains. If you want real power gains go with the Graves velocity stacks. That’s where I picked up 5-7 HP depending on RPM.

My two sense:tup:

Last edited:
Went ahead and cut it up today and not to change the subject but why in the world does it take 12 screws to hold down the airbox cover? After taking out all those screws and then the 8 or so inside to take the actual box out my forearms were on fire!

Just thought it was funny.

Went ahead and cut it up today and not to change the subject but why in the world does it take 12 screws to hold down the airbox cover? After taking out all those screws and then the 8 or so inside to take the actual box out my forearms were on fire!

I kinda wondered this myself !! Why cant they just use Quick Release hinge clips like on a Car ???? Beats me !!!!:wtf:

seth

I'm planning of doing the airbox mod, but how much I have to take off before finding the box? Does anyone have instructions/ pics of this operation? The actual airbox mod is clear, but the question is how to find it :D

I'm planning of doing the airbox mod, but how much I have to take off before finding the box? Does anyone have instructions/ pics of this operation? The actual airbox mod is clear, but the question is how to find it :D

You will need to remove the gas tank to get to the airbox. Then remove the screws around the perimeter of the airbox lid and take it off. This will expose the air filter and velocity stacks. Remove the bolts securing the velocity stack in place (along with the AIS hose) and the bottom of the air box should come off. This is the part you will need to modify.

Last edited:
You will need to remove the gas tank to get to the airbox. Then remove the screws around the perimeter of the airbox lid and take it off. This will expose the air filter and velocity stacks. Remove the bolts securing the velocity stack in place (along with the AIS hose) and the bottom of the air box should come off. This is the part you will need to modify.

Great. I also found this one: FCE install lots of pics - Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner - General - Fazer Owners Club - Unofficial - Message Board

It's an Ivans FCE installation in pics. It shows how to remove tha tank and stuff. I think I will manage with these...

By the way, do you guys know a place where I can buy Ivan's FCE for a good price?

Great. I also found this one: FCE install lots of pics - Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner - General - Fazer Owners Club - Unofficial - Message Board

It's an Ivans FCE installation in pics. It shows how to remove tha tank and stuff. I think I will manage with these...

By the way, do you guys know a place where I can buy Ivan's FCE for a good price?

As far as I know unless you find a used one on one of the forums or eBay he sells them at list price ($195 last I checked). There's a distributor in the UK you can contact:

Ivan's Performance Products

Currently there is one on eBay in the US, but not sure if he'll ship to Europe or not:

Ivan's Performance FCE Fuel Cut Eliminator 06-10 FZ1: eBay Motors (item 230496741233 end time Jul-12-10 22:46:58 PDT)

On eBay's UK site:

Ivans FCE Fuel Cut Eliminator Yamaha Fazer 1000 FZ1 on eBay (end time 14-Jul-10 14:37:41 BST)

As far as I know unless you find a used one on one of the forums or eBay he sells them at list price ($195 last I checked). There's a distributor in the UK you can contact:

Ivan's Performance Products

Currently there is one on eBay in the US, but not sure if he'll ship to Europe or not:

Ivan's Performance FCE Fuel Cut Eliminator 06-10 FZ1: eBay Motors (item 230496741233 end time Jul-12-10 22:46:58 PDT)

On eBay's UK site:

Ivans FCE Fuel Cut Eliminator Yamaha Fazer 1000 FZ1 on eBay (end time 14-Jul-10 14:37:41 BST)

I e-mailed the US seller if he is willing to send it to Finland. If not, I think I will buy it from here. There is one dealer who sells it for 240€...

I e-mailed the US seller if he is willing to send it to Finland. If not, I think I will buy it from here. There is one dealer who sells it for 240€...

Sounds like the way to go would be to try and buy here in the US and have it shipped since at the current exchange rate 240€ is over $300 US.

I thought this was a little excessive too! I just used my cordless drill with a phillips bit to pull them all out. Set it to the lowest torque setting and screwed them back in the same way and checked final torque by hand.

Next to oil, air filters are my second favorite topic, really they are...:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

My bike came with a BMC filter and I replaced it with a OEM filter. I noticed a few things about the BMC. 1) As I held the filter up to the light I could see openings in the mesh. 2) The OEM filter has about three times as many pleats than the BMC. This means there much less surface area to trap particles.

I did remove the screen from the OEM filter. The only reason I can figure that Yamaha added that was to reduce air box noise emissions. One of these days I need to reroute my cable harness. Not really looking forward to that one.

Ok so I have to ask a really stupid question, but I may as well.

I have read this thread, and while there is a ton of great info, it leaves me a little confused as this is Gen2 related.

I have a Gen1, does that mean I can do this also? What about hiding wires and such. Or is this only for the Gen2?

Sorry for the question, just not sure if this is something I should be considering. What worries me is if I did it, it would need to be properly jetted correct?

Not trying to hijack, simply curious if this is a 1 or 2 gen only thing.

Ok so I have to ask a really stupid question, but I may as well.

I have read this thread, and while there is a ton of great info, it leaves me a little confused as this is Gen2 related.

I have a Gen1, does that mean I can do this also? What about hiding wires and such. Or is this only for the Gen2?

Sorry for the question, just not sure if this is something I should be considering. What worries me is if I did it, it would need to be properly jetted correct?

Not trying to hijack, simply curious if this is a 1 or 2 gen only thing.

There is no need to cut your airbox on the GenI. Your fine with the stock airbox and filter. I believe you have a slip-on but I'm not sure whether the bike has been rejetted or not. Did you ever ask the previous owner if he had it done?

My jet kit and slip on was designed to work best with the stock airbox setup. I've had no issues whatsoever running the bike this way. The only thing I did do was removed my Air Injection System or AIS. I did that to get rid of the popping from the exhaust on deceleration and to clean up the top of the motor making it easy to access the spark plugs. There is no performance gains or losses by removing the air pump. I'd say to leave it be and enjoy the great riding weather!

Here is my link to the AIS removal that I did a while back.......
http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-i-mods/1775-i-s-kit-done-thumbs-up.html

Ok sweet. He didnt know if it was jetted, but when I was at the shop buying some chain lube a tech was staring at my bike when I came back out. Turns out he has an FZ1 also, same as mine an 02 and silver. He was showing me things that werent stock that I didnt even notice, and he said it was most likely jetted becuase some kinda boots or rubber things or something wasnt there anymore that is usually a sign of jetting I guess?

Either way, I just read up on it and the pods thing look freakin badass... So we shall see, and thanks for the AIS removal thing, was trying to figure out where it was on my bike as ive seen the Gen2 removal setup, and thought it was the same but couldnt find the block off plates LOL. That explains why!

Back