Air Box Mod?

Okay I've tried to stay out of this, as I've sworn to myself never to enter an air filter or oil thread as the majority of the time the perspectives are subjective.

Airflow on a flow bench has very little to do with the actual and potential hp of an engine.

First take a look at Motoman's article on port sizing: -=MototuneUSA Motorcycle Performance Roadracing Superbikes & Wild Girls I think you need to create an account to read the article.

Second this quote if from a friend of mine who own's a motorcycle shop and is considered one of the better tuners in the US:

The "What's in the AF1 shop" Thread - Page 238 - ApriliaForum sponsored by AF1 Racing, inc.

"I have K&N filters in a couple of my engines, but most I keep the stock filter. After almost a decade of dyno tuning I have yet to see an actual gain on a modern sportsbike from a low restriction filter and often a tiny loss. I assume this due to a diminished resonant effect in the airbox since the filter "backflows" air as well as it does let it into the box to began with. Resonant frequency is determined by several variables including total airbox volume which is the volume from the filter to the intake valves of the motor. Now exceptions to this general rule are made for cruisers, especially Yamaha cruisers with their TINY little air filter, replacing it with a low restriction unit definitely makes power. The SXV and RXV are another example of anything or nothing being better than stock.

I suppose the thing we have to remember is that we do not care at all about big "flow" numbers, we care about charge trapping efficiency. This is what makes power, bigger holes and less restrictive filters will definitely win on a flow bench, we are not driving/riding flow benches.

In general sportbike airboxes seem to be very well designed and thought out from the factory. The Honda CBR1000RR is no exception but this was the first and only time I have ever had to actually read the instructions to install an aftermarket intake filter...."

Here's another quote from him:

"I personally think that stock paper element filters are the way to go for most applications because their filtration is indeed FAR superior to wire and gauze or foam type materials. Tiny particles do matter over long periods. I have seen inside some pretty interesting bike and car engines over the years from AMA to F1. There is but one common theme, they either run a paper element or no filter at all (maybe a wire mesh screen). On my old 1999 Mille I did a dyno test with full EGA on the stock filter, EVO, K&N, a Foam one I made and none at all. The dyno graphs all directly overlaid one another as did the mixture trace lines.

Filtration is key for a filter and this applies to oil filters as well. I only use paper element oil filters in engines I build and service as those "washable" stainless mesh oil filters have not fared well in terms of filtration in independent testing, the only place they seem to do well is in the testing done by the people marketing and selling them. Dirt bike guys love the washable oil filters, especially KTM guys where they have two or more to replace every few hundred miles."

Last edited:
My take, just me talking, after tuning several of my bikes on the dyno...leave it alone. I think moving the cables out of the way is a good idea however. I plan on leaving mine stock.

For instance the Buell 1125RR (the Superbike racer, not the Daytona Sportbike racer) uses the stock air box and a big 'ole OEM paper filter. The hp went from 125ish at the wheel stock, to 160ish in superbike form. Guys have tried K&N filters but no one has shown improvement on the dyno. One guy even went as far as removing the air box and using individual K&N filters, he lost top end like crazy, and a little mid. Basically he ruined a nice running bike.

When looking at the tuning results of my FZ6 (Akra exhaust, PCIII and custom tune), it makes the same power as guys who gutted their CATS, modded their airboxes, added an exhaust, PCIII and a tune.

My buddy who tunes often removes "performance" parts from bikes (think HD Screamin' Eagle), returns them to stock, adds a power commander and exhaust, and ends up with a much better running bike that makes much more hp than with the "performance" stuff.

For my FZ1 I'm done with my engine mods, Akra, PCIII and the custom tune. It runs great and has a very nice throttle.

Now ergos and suspension, that's were I'll drop the coin. BTW my Rizoma rearsets were delivered today! Convertis are still in route....

Last edited:
So right now your still running the header cat? Hey pics please of the Rsets!!

Yes that is correct, the header CAT is there, to the best of my knowledge. I've not removed the slip-on to see if the prior owner removed it. I don't think he did.

I will take pics! I saw that UPS delivered the package, this is like waiting for Christmas!!!

Power

Thanks Hellgate for the info! I will agree with the tuner as the quality of the air charge has more to do with power increases than flow. Look at those hot rods with the "ram air". With a cowl induction that pulls in cool-dense-oxygen rich air from the base of the windshield, you have a better quality of charge. It still would be nice to see a dyno chart with one part at a time and done by a good tuner to the get the most out of the engine across the entire rpm range.

I actually am working on my ergonomics first and the maybe a slip on with the cat in.

Again, that was great info and thanks again! :+1:

Ok I have a few questions/comments before I take the plunge...I'm almost there.

First, has anyone had any surging or mixture issues after the mod on a completely stock bike ? I'm assuming not since the paper element isn't changing but wanted to ask anyway before I hack up my airbox.

Second....anyone that says an aftermarket filter doesn't affect the mixture is an idiot. Anyone that says it doesn't filter as well as stock is also an idiot. I had BMC's on a few bikes and not only did it affect the mixture for obvious reasons the inside of my airboxes were spotless....so now tell me that they don't filter as well as a stock filter.

Third...the airboxes have snorkels and limit air intake because of EPA and other government regulations and they're all tested in wind tunnels for the most efficiency under normal riding conditions. Normally I would never hack up an airbox just swap out the filter and start the intake/FI/exhaust mods but the FZ airbox is way too closed. The damn outside temp gauge is so far off because of the stupid airbox I wanna open it up just to get accurate external temps ;) If it opens up a mean growl as well I'm all for it but I don't want to mess with my mixture yet...I have no PCIII and have other things to do before I start mucking with performance.

Thanks in advance for any input...

Ok I have a few questions/comments before I take the plunge...I'm almost there.

First, has anyone had any surging or mixture issues after the mod on a completely stock bike ? I'm assuming not since the paper element isn't changing but wanted to ask anyway before I hack up my airbox.

Second....anyone that says an aftermarket filter doesn't affect the mixture is an idiot. Anyone that says it doesn't filter as well as stock is also an idiot. I had BMC's on a few bikes and not only did it affect the mixture for obvious reasons the inside of my airboxes were spotless....so now tell me that they don't filter as well as a stock filter.

Third...the airboxes have snorkels and limit air intake because of EPA and other government regulations and they're all tested in wind tunnels for the most efficiency under normal riding conditions. Normally I would never hack up an airbox just swap out the filter and start the intake/FI/exhaust mods but the FZ airbox is way too closed. The damn outside temp gauge is so far off because of the stupid airbox I wanna open it up just to get accurate external temps ;) If it opens up a mean growl as well I'm all for it but I don't want to mess with my mixture yet...I have no PCIII and have other things to do before I start mucking with performance.

Thanks in advance for any input...

You're right, I'm an idiot. Hell, I'll be the village idiot if you like; and I'm sure the guy running the Four Gas Meter who saw no difference between K&N, stock, and no filter on the dyno is an idiot too.

Read this: K&N air filter or OEM, why OEM is better

Ask for advice and call people idiots, nice. Have a great day!

Oh come on...don't take it personally, just personal opinion all based on experience from multiple bikes and other people as well. I think you gotta put all the factors in this to really show if stock and aftermarket make a difference. If the snorkel/airbox is totally restrictive then changing the filter probably won't do crap...that's just common sense. If you open up the airbox to let more air in you'll see a difference, especially on a ram air bike. Shoot...many of the stock paper elements are actually paper in oil and actually breath decently these days so I can believe it...but even that as a fact a gauze filter will breath better..the volume of air able to go through the aftermarket filters is more. How many racebikes run stock filters ? Not many I've seen...

P.S. I should have opened up a new thread 'cause now I didn't get any feedback from anybody post airbox mod on a stock bike :( Oh well...hopefully someone will disregard the added cruft I added to the thread ;)

Just curious if anyone noticed the letter in the Service Q&A column in Cycle World about this a few months ago. The guy who writes the column kind of trashed doing an airbix mod. I wish I had saved it but I remember he said something to the effect of. "it certainly will cause a loss of performance in some power band for perhaps a marginal gain at top end."

Ok guys, I finished modding the Airbox.

I moved the cables around, was able to re-route one of the bigger ones.

The airbox itself, I just cut off the snorkle since the air holes are really small for such a big bike.

I also took the screen off the stock filter.

After moving the cables and opening the airbox/de-screened the filter, I have noticed a couple of things.

1. The bike seems to be runing 10 degrees C cooler than before which is really important for summers in Japan.

2. The bike has a deeper sound

3. It does seem to respond a little more than it did before.

But no huge gains or anything.

Im just really happy that the bike is a little cooler than before.

Last edited:
Screw it...I'm doing it. I'm ripping the bike apart to put a Powerlet in the dash anyway so I may as well just pull the air box and get er done. I'll report back....she's bone stock and staying that way minus some air box plastic for now ;) Not time yet for perf mods...

Screw it...I'm doing it. I'm ripping the bike apart to put a Powerlet in the dash anyway so I may as well just pull the air box and get er done. I'll report back....she's bone stock and staying that way minus some air box plastic for now ;) Not time yet for perf mods...

I did it...just cut off the snorkel pretty much just like Lars's docs. I left the stock filter alone and didn't move cables. I started it and it sounded a bit better...not too throaty but less like a sewing machine and more like a motorcycle. I'll ride it tomorrow for a better idea of any results positive or negative.

P.S. I've got my powerlet installed finally...now we got power baby.

Ivan has posted real gains pretty much all the way through the power curve with the air box mod. I wonder if anyone who's saying this doesn't work has tuned the bike properly. We can just make a double-size hole in the stock air box without adding the proper amount of fuel to match it.
I don't think anyone has said just adding a K&N filter adds HP. Maybe a minute amount. They do flow a little better, and it costs less in the long run because it's reusable. What's not to like about that. I've used them in cars and bikes for years, carefully inspecting intake tracts to be sure they're not dirtying up the works. They don't. Not with my cars and bikes, anyway.

Ivan has posted real gains pretty much all the way through the power curve with the air box mod. I wonder if anyone who's saying this doesn't work has tuned the bike properly. We can just make a double-size hole in the stock air box without adding the proper amount of fuel to match it.

Ivan is a salesman. He will tell you anything to legitimize his business. I’m sure his gains were based on selling you one of his downloads. In reality the stock airbox will flow more air than you can actually use on the street. The worst thing you can do it put on individual filter pods. Opening up the inlet side of the stock airbox increases the impression ratio more than anything else. The best thing about the airbox mod discussed is it doesn’t cost anything to do but your time. I did it and it sound nice. No real horsepower gains. If you want real power gains go with the Graves velocity stacks. That’s where I picked up 5-7 HP depending on RPM.

My two sense:tup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan is a salesman. He will tell you anything to legitimize his business. I’m sure his gains were based on selling you one of his downloads. In reality the stock airbox will flow more air than you can actually use on the street. The worst thing you can do it put on individual filter pods. Opening up the inlet side of the stock airbox increases the impression ratio more than anything else. The best thing about the airbox mod discussed is it doesn’t cost anything to do but your time. I did it and it sound nice. No real horsepower gains. If you want real power gains go with the Graves velocity stacks. That’s where I picked up 5-7 HP depending on RPM.

My two sense:tup:

Well not to defend Ivan (he can do that himself if he wants to), but he was not the originator of the airbox mod. It was Lars from Denmark over in the FZ1OA forum. Oh and Ivan wont sell you his map by itself. He includes it when you purchase the PC III or V from him (or maybe if you spend over a certain amount). Just wanted to set the facts straight...

I am not a fan of Ivan at all for many reasons and I've yet to deal with him even once. I've read a lot of his input and comments to people on that forum and I am very unimpressed with his attitude and sales tactics. I'm sure he is a great tuner and he puts out very fine products, but I just cannot support him at all.

FCE? It was good for the '06 only according to the masses and unless you're doing all track days on an '07 plus, the throttle snatch is negligible at best. I agree that this was a necessary fix for the first Gen II but not beyond that.

The sub-throttle plates? Ivan treats his plates like it is a trade secret and patented idea. It's not... I read the thread where he accused Copperdog of "ripping off his product" and the gracious method that Patrick explained his side of the story and even offered to not make and sell his. That thread alone was the worst publicity for Ivan to date.

His maps? Nothing special and many have had better luck with the JonDaddy, Duken and whittlebeast maps. The Duken/Whittlebeast efforts are absolutely the greatest thing to happen for the Gen II bikes.

What Ivan does have that I cannot comment on is some Gen I stuff... Someone with knowledge can comment on that.

These are my own opinions of the man based on what I've read from him in the FZ1 OA site and nothing more.

Nasty Stuff

Like Eric pointed out and I agree, There have been some nasty posts over on the other forum involving Ivan. I do not claim to know all the details but read quite a lot of the threads involving all the fighting and nastiness. It is what turned me off the other forum and although I am a member, I rarely post and only read the bike related stuff. If I wanted to see soap operas or the news I have a television for that garbage.

At first I was intrigued with his stuff but, being a geek, I always investigate everything quite deep and get all the info I can. Through discovery, I found out that he wasn't the only option. ;)

I only really visit the other site for technical searches and don't post much at all. The site is overrun with abuse and has a serious lack of management, hence the daily soap opera atmosphere that Lee is talking about. Besides, THIS site is getting to the point we have enough quality content that we can stand on our own. :tup: to all of you for bringing that content in!

I only really visit the other site for technical searches and don't post much at all. The site is overrun with abuse and has a serious lack of management, hence the daily soap opera atmosphere that Lee is talking about. Besides, THIS site is getting to the point we have enough quality content that we can stand on our own. :tup: to all of you for bringing that content in!

I am new FZ owner and just stumbled on this thread and comment. After only a short time gathering info on this bike on the two forums, I have to agree completely.

The really interesting thing is that it is the same for the FJR1300 sites I frequent. The domestic (US) based site is prone to big egos, know-it-all's, tiresome sarcasm, and very selective/unfair moderation. Its a tech search site and that's it. Posing any kind of question is likely to bring out all kinds of sarcastic responses and any disagreement with the "gods" will bring out the moderators.

In contrast, the International site (like this one) is a fair/balanced site with a friendly tone and plenty of good info without the 'tude. Plus, having input from elsewhere in the world is always fun as it brings a fresh perspective on how to approach a problem or modification. I've only had the bike a week and I already know this site is my preference.

Back