Aftermarket Mirrors or Repair..?

Stuuk1

Hi all,

On my GenII Fazer, the paint on the arms of the mirrors are starting to flake off.

Has anyone had this, if so what did you do? Remove, sand down and re-spray?

Or are there any aftermarket mirrors which use the same fixing position and still give good visibility?

Thanks!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.217308,0.245143
Member of the 1 litre club...

If the rest of the mirror is in good condition I would just remove them and sand that area down, mask the plastic top and respray with a flat (or maybe satin) paint.

In my experience the aftermarket stuff usually doesn't fit as well as factory. Plus spraying them will only cost you a little time and a can of spray paint.

Well, i'm back!

Firstly let me thank you NJFZ1 for your reply and advise!

I managed to wangle some 'Working from home' type work and spend the next couple of days working on the bike :)

One of the jobs was to sort the wing mirrors, so here are a few pics of the job. Only thing I would change next time is the colour. I went for the Satin paint but now the job is done, I think I would go for the Matt colour if I had the chance again. Although, they still look fantastic!

I simply masked up the plastic mirror surround and the bolt ends. Rubbed down using 240, 500, 1200 wet and dry paper. Then sprayed a grey primer (one coat), then applied three coats of satin black paint from a can over two days to allow each coat to dry (stored on top of the boiler after each coat of paint).

The pics are spread over the two wing mirrors.

Hope this may help someone one day....! Thanks again NJFZ1

Before:
IMG_2962.jpg

Paint Removed:

IMG_2964.jpg

Paint Drying:

IMG_2968.jpg

On The Bike #1:

IMG_2971.jpg

On The Bike #2:

IMG_2975.jpg

What about a clear coat?

Do you mean a lacquer?

I didn't want to lacquer it otherwise it would give it a very shiny look. I wanted the look to be the same as the frame and the rubber grommet at the bottom of the mirror and also to match the plastic insert.

It came out shinier than I though so a lacquer probably would affect it too much TBH but still, I like them how they are so no need for a lacquer IMO.

I went for the Satin paint but now the job is done, I think I would go for the Matt colour if I had the chance again. Although, they still look fantastic!

I simply masked up the plastic mirror surround and the bolt ends. Rubbed down using 240, 500, 1200 wet and dry paper. Then sprayed a grey primer (one coat), then applied three coats of satin black paint from a can over two days to allow each coat to dry (stored on top of the boiler after each coat of paint).
Great looking job. The only thing I'd recommend different,,?,, anytime you take a piece down to bare metal or even bare plastic, you should use at least one medium, or two light coats of "Self Etching primer/sealer", then at least one coat of ordinary primer as a sanded base coat. Obviously, the world of painting did pretty good before the advent of Self Etching primers, so all is not lost if you didn't use it :) but they do help insure good adhesion between the bare base metal and any additional coats of primer or paint.

BTW: Self Etching primer is availible in a spray can at most Auto Parts stores.
BTW II: If I remember correctly, I have seen FLAT clear coats, if you can find it, it may bring the gloss down a notch or two, as well as provide additional protection to the black base coat.

Last edited:
Just did a quick google and I see what you mean about finding it hard to get.

Personally, I'm going to leave it, If its gets damaged in anyway then Ill get hold of some Matt Lacquer and re-paint the whole thing again.

Thanks for the info, learnt something new about paint! :)

One thing I'd also like to mention is that when I took the mirrors off, one of the mirrors was quite badly corroded at the bottom which is covered by the rubber grommet.

Full of rust etc. Obviously where the water is getting trapped! It has always been tight when folding them in (I fold them regularly to get them down the side alley of my house). Sprayed them with Black Hammerite paint and ground some of the rust off with a dremel. Then sprayed some ACF50 in there and now they work like a dream!

Back