Advise on buying a 2014 Z1000

M.Martin

What do y'all think is a good OTD price for a 14 Z1000? And, if I traded my 2002 FZ1 with little blemishes but needing tires and an oil change sitting a little over 20k miles what should the OTD be?
Ive stopped at one dealer who was rude to me but said 12k OTD and 10.3k with trade OTD.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated, as I will be buying Tomorrow or Saturday. As most you can empathize I'm super excited!
Trying to decide a fair price with and without trade!

Sell privately, you will get more money typically. They turn those bikes around with a heafty markup and get the new bikes cheaper then they sell though meaning you can probably get a new bike 1000 off sticker plus your trade in. Don't let them know you have something to trade though otherwise they won't offer as great of a price. Try to work them.

What do you think a good out the door price woukd be? I try to only look at that number because they will push all the other numbers around. I'm thinking 11,700 otd with no trade and 9700 otd with trade. Any input?

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4

If they want the sale they should be able to give it to you for 10,750 I would think, then they will probably offer 2K for the bike, but might accept 3.25k

So haggle before offering trade in. They will ask off the bat if you have a trade in. Tell them nothing you would consider trading. They might ask well what do you have anyway, just say no thanks and hang on to that. Sales people will toss your salad if you let them.

Are you financing? I would just buy one with 2k miles on it locally :p

It's just like buying a car. First negotiate the OTD price on the bike only, then ask what the new price will be with the trade in. Once they know you want the new machine you have a bit more leverage for them to complete the deal with a reasonable trade-in allowance. Remember they need to make some profit, you can't squeeze them so they make very little on the new bike and very little on the trade in. They have expenses to cover.

It's just like buying a car. First negotiate the OTD price on the bike only, then ask what the new price will be with the trade in. Once they know you want the new machine you have a bit more leverage for them to complete the deal with a reasonable trade-in allowance. Remember they need to make some profit, you can't squeeze them so they make very little on the new bike and very little on the trade in. They have expenses to cover.

Agree.

The shop is in business to make a profit - as are all businesses. Profit is not a bad thing. It means there will be a shop to go to.

Figure them a reasonable profit - and let them make it. Both win.
You've found a new bike that a shop owner has obtained for customers - and they make some money for the effort of getting the new bike.
Same with the trade in. They must make money on the sale of that bike - else they won't do it - so they must buy it cheap enough.

Last edited:
I'm in contact with a dealer an hour from home. I told them if they can beat 12k otd enough to make it worth the drive. I'll be on my way. She said she willcall back. I'll throw my bike in the back of the truck and talk trade when I get there. If I can't make a deal on trade, then I'll just have two bikes.

you can get far better deals by not doing what you're proposing. do you want a brand new z or is a few year old one ok? if you got time to sell privately you'd make $2,000 more on the fz than what the dealer will give you. personally i wouldn't go OTD at a penny over $10,000.

I'm looking at 12k OTD with no trade or 9700 with my trade. Seems to be the best deal.
Oh, the 14 year is a different bike then the 13 year. And unfortunately, I HAVE to throw my leg over that mother soon!

you can get far better deals by not doing what you're proposing. do you want a brand new z or is a few year old one ok? if you got time to sell privately you'd make $2,000 more on the fz than what the dealer will give you. personally i wouldn't go OTD at a penny over $10,000.
This
:beer:

The '14 is a brand new model year so there's a premium to be had if you want to buy one today. No second hand market on one just yet. Considering how little an '02 FZ1 with some blemishes and bald tires would fetch on the used market, $9700 OTD doesn't seem too bad for a brand new Z1000. The gen 1 is a 13 year old model now days and you can really find nice ones for a song.

I think if Mr. M. had a gen 2, he might be better off selling his bike privately but maybe not for his gen 1.

Last edited:
I'm looking at 12k OTD with no trade or 9700 with my trade. Seems to be the best deal.
Oh, the 14 year is a different bike then the 13 year. And unfortunately, I HAVE to throw my leg over that mother soon!

didnt see the 9,700 part. say you'll sign the dotted line at 9,500 :)

Got it! Only rode a few miles, as it Valentines day. But so far, she's pretty sweet! I'll have a few windscreens and micron exhaust up for grabs when I get enough time together to cleam em up and take some pictures.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4

Back