Advice needed for a would be FZ1 owner!

fz1uk

Hi there, I'm hoping to join you guys soon with an FZ1 of my own. I've found one that I can afford - it's a 2007 (56 reg) with 12k miles (fully faired) and I was wondering if there have been any changes or improvements to the bike on newer years by Yamaha since then? I've heard earlier models had fueling issues and other niggles but have no idea what year they were sorted. On my FZ6 I have the older model 2004 and things like the givi v35 plx cases wouldn't fit it because the frame changed slightly in 2007 I believe. So if anyone can advise me what I might be missing out on because of its age I'd really appreciate it!

On a side note its listed at £5800 so I think it may be a bit high for its age and mileage but it seems to be in very good condition for its age. Does anybody know what an Fz1 of that age should be fetching? Its a dealer not a private sale if that helps.
Thanks!

I had a 2007 model previously and there was no problems with the fuelling, it went really well.

£5800 sounds a little pricey for the age of the bike, I'd expect to pay closer to £5000 personally. Being at a dealers, they'll try and up the price but they've usually got plenty of margin in a used bike so they should be able to move on price.

Yea, the fueling issue was limited to the '06 model and can be easily corrected by Ivan's Fuel Cutoff Eliminator (FCE). As for pricing since I'm in the US I can't comment since our bikes here sell for less than over in the UK. Just imagine that same bike over here probably wouldn't fetch 5000 USD!

Thanks for all the advice - the bike rode really well and I'm pleased to say that after some haggling I bought it at a good price! Picking it up on Saturday after its had a service, new tyres and pads. One thing I found a bit odd was that in the previous owners wallet of reciepts there was one for a power commander unit installed by a dealer in 2008. The dealer didn't know anything about them or if it was still installed on the bike.. I had a look under the seat and couldn't see it - where are they normally installed.... could I have missed it just looking the bike over?!?

Anyway, I have a dilema now.. what to do about my FZ6Blue login name.. carry on using it or change to FZ1Blue :D - what do you think? :D

You would see the PC under the pillion seat or the rider seat close to the tank. I suppose it could be mounted under the tank but that sure would make it difficult to program. He may have also parted it out for a little extra cash.

:welcome: and congrats on the new (used) bike! We have several of us, including myself, that have come up from the FZ6 bike to the 1. I wouldn't go back to the 6 for sure!

Brad is 100% correct... Look under both seats and in the unlikely spot, under the tank. If it is not there, ask the dealer for contact info for the previous owner and just call and politely ask if he traded it with or without. If he says with, go back to the dealer and request they install it back on the bike. :D

Thanks for the warm welcome from all of you! So excited about the new bike now that I don't want to wait a week for it! :D

I'll post up some pics when I get it home :D

Back