99 Dodge Dakota opinions

johnnyontherocks

The Cosmic Avenger
I've talked with Amevl to get his expert advice on Dodge products. His opinion I trust and has me on the fence of should or should not buy.

Well the Blue bomber is telling me that the time to put her down has come. For those that don't know the Blue Bomber, she is my 1990 GMC Z71 with 175000+. She was original purchased by my Grandfather the day he retired and was handed down to me a number of years ago. Anyhoo yesterday running some errands she lost her brakes and it appears a section of brakeline rotted through and the rest doesn't look well either. Due to the position of the failed part my options to replace it are A) remove the bed B) drop the tank or C) cut a hole in the bed big enough for the repair. I believe I will pick C but to replace the rest the tank will need to be dropped. Once again I think its her way of telling me it time to move forward.

My needs a decent 4 wheel drive pick up capable of pulling a trailer for under 6K and this is something I've found that fits the criteria but I have never owned a Dodge product so anyone in the know please give a opinion.
Dodge : Dakota Dodge : Dakota | eBay

I will never buy a Dodge again. I had a 2001 Dodge Ram (that I had bought new) and it was nothing but trouble. Also, my friend ran a Firestone and he said that they (Dodge) have some of the worst problems.

I had a chrysler product (Jeep cherokee) that was a pretty good one. But, I don't know about the Dakota. I suspect it is more similar to the RAM.

I have Honda and Toyota vehicles now.

Last edited:
A friend has a Dakota - a little newer than what you are talking. But he doesn't have much good to say about gas mileage.

My opinion - a rusted brake line is not a big deal to replace. I have replaced entire braking systems - every component, including lines, proportioning valves, master cylinders wheel cylinders, calipers. The car is still being driven 5 years later. Happens to be a Honda at 210,000 miles.

I have also personally driven several GM V8's way past 100,000 miles. One to 310,000 (and running fine when I sold it - with no engine or transmission repair (I bought the car new)), another which I'm still driving, to 265,000 miles - again no engine or transmission repair.
Just my experience.

dont let me scare from the truck if ya really like the problems the Magnum motors have are curable all ya gotta do is spend some coin if the problems arise.How about an S10 pickup although the Vortec motors have more than thier share of issues as well.I have owned 5 S trucks I know.Look for a Yota cant go wrong there

I have had a Durango (2002) for 6years it had 30000 on it when we got it. My wife drives it and has ran it up to 115,000 miles. we have had no problems at all. I pull a couple diffrent boats with it a few times each summer and it tows great.

Come on Johnny! Don't put the truck down on account of a bad brake line! If the motor and tranny are solid, a brake line is an easy fix in your garage over one weekend! I bet that LMC Trucks have a rear brake line kit for that truck for cheap. Check them out online buddy and if you really need another pair of hands I'd come out to help you. I'm good with that stuff!

Back