'71 suzuki T250 project smoker

# two

I'm real leery to start this thread because progress may be slow going and I might forget to take pictures once and a while. But here it goes. The new condenser I ordered from a link posted by FZ1riderNY (thanks again) came in today, it is installed and the little smoker now has spark at BOTH cylinders!

Spent a few hours today "reverse plating" left rear shock, I'll do the other tomorrow. It aint perfect but looks much better than it did. Does anybody know how to take these apart? I would like to clean under the spring. Not trying to hijack the project name but it looks like I might actually have a rats nest on my hands (probably just a mouse).

New condenser installed, spark at both cylinders, both carbs pulled off and apart, cleaned and reinstalled. No start or anything resembling a start. G D M F P O S if ya know what i mean. Any ideas?

Try a little ether. If that doesnt work check compression. You may want to check your crank seals as well. If I'm not mistaken, if the don't hold a good seal the engine won't pull enough vacuum to pull fuel.

Pull the plugs and dump a little fuel in and replace plugs and kick.

I shot a little ether through the carb I'll try fuel into the cylinder. How do I check the crank seal? can it be done without opening the motor?

hey

Im building as well. Might sound stupid but heres a quick bit or personal wisdom.

Engine Needs

1. Fuel
2. Air
3. Spark

Go through the problem in that order. My petcock was so full of rust it wouldnt let fuel through. After that set the carbs to stock setting. Should be somewhere on google. And seeing as how you have spark that solves that. With all that in theory you should have ignition

Good suggestion Twitch. He may want to use a gas can with a line into it to see if she will start. If she runs from the gas can it may very well be that petcock. Just try and hang the gas can higher than the carbs. Maybe someone can hold it for you.

I don't even have a petcock for this bike yet I've got an old plastic tank off a lawn mower hanging from the rafters. I know it's getting fuel, at least to the carbs, and the plugs are wet when pulled. Gotta be getting air (no air box or filters to restrict that). The poor little bike looks like it's on life support with tank hanging from ceiling and battery sitting on a stool next to it. Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't even have a petcock for this bike yet I've got an old plastic tank off a lawn mower hanging from the rafters. I know it's getting fuel, at least to the carbs, and the plugs are wet when pulled. Gotta be getting air (no air box or filters to restrict that). The poor little bike looks like it's on life support with tank hanging from ceiling and battery sitting on a stool next to it. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm guessing the bike has a magneto to provide spark to the plugs. Maybe it's not creating enough spark? Also, when you kick it over, do you feel good compression in the motor?

It has great spark, the compression feels only soso and I think more in the right than left so probably rings. Will poor compression in one cylinder prevent the motor from running?

It has great spark, the compression feels only soso and I think more in the right than left so probably rings. Will poor compression in one cylinder prevent the motor from running?

Yeah, lousy compression is definitely a factor in getting a good start. The good thing is that the motor is not so complicated that you couldn't just rebuild it with a new ring set and gaskets. Two cylinder motors of that era can be done with a few good tools and a manual which doesn't necessarily have to be specific to that bike. Any two cylinder/ two stroke engine manual will help you tons in just redoing rings, gaskets, and seals. My buddy's son is only 16 years old and did his 68 Honda CB125 all by himself in a weekend in the basement. The Honda runs like brand new now!

Here are some shots of his finished project.

IMG_0001-8.jpg

IMG_0002-9.jpg

IMG_0004-7.jpg

As I said, he did all the work himself using basic tools and a generic manual.

And to just step off the subject for a second, here is his other project that was literally buried in between some trees that had actually grown around the car.

This was what it looked like before they squeezed it out of it's makeshift coffin.....
1-1.jpg

Here is his son working hard on her in his backyard.
2-2.jpg

Here it is as she sits today after almost a year of working on it in his backyard. His son definitely has a future in restoration when he gets older!
IMG_0005-7.jpg

IMG_0013-2.jpg

IMG_0011-3.jpg

IMG_0210-1.jpg

I just thought you might want to see some of this amazing kid's work. Now back to your thread!;)

Last edited:
Bike looks very familiar...my first bike that I had for 8 years before getting the FZ1 is a 1974 Yamaha RD200 (also two-stroke). I got tired of playing with condensors and points though and found a place in India that makes electronic ignitions.

First off that vw is amazing.My father in law is working on an old honda 175 the same style, it's a neat little bike and part of the reason i was excited to get a small old bike on the road. I'll look into cost and availability of rings and gasket set or rebuild kit. I do like this bike but will be hard pressed to spend too much on a 40 year old 27 horse motor, I would rather spend money on stuffing a more modern and way more powerful cr or kx 500 into it (i already know, bad idea).

Do you have any old pics? Anybody else have or had a two stroke street machine? I'd love to see them.

At my mums in the UK there is a framed 8x10 pic of my rd400 wheel up, me in my leather jacket and griffin custom paint helmet in all my glory (lol) been there for a long time.
:innocent0002:

Back