2012 fz1

Is it really not selling? It seems like when a manufacturer releases the bike every year with a new colour scheme it's a good indicator that it is indeed selling enough to warrant that. I've seen in the past that sometimes the companies will just pull the bike from their lineup for a year or two until the existing stock is all sold to the dealers, then re-release.

It seems like Yamaha is introducing a fresh new look to the FZ1 every year.

Whether they're leaving the dealership floors is another question I guess

That's what I meant by not selling. Yamaha can "strong arm" it's dealers to take an FZ1 or two and they then have to end up dumping them 2 years later at a loss. You see it all the time with 2-3 year old leftover FZ1s selling below dealer cost.

What a boring color scheme.....pearl white and black tail.....reminds of a Highway Patrol car, the only thing missing is some gold stars and Broderick Crawford (youngsters won't understand this). You can do a lot with a new tank and fairing shape and and some sharp color combinations, but this is just dreary. What a shame.

But Yamaha really went all out for the 2012 FZ8 color ...... matte gray. Blah, that is so 2008.

Times may be tough for Yamaha, but, c'mon, at least make an effort at sprucing up the bikes. Paint and some graphics are cheap.

Flash, check out the R1 ...... looks like Yamaha spent all it's money on the color scheme for the 2012 model. Too bad for FZ1 owners.

Yea, that paint job on the R1 looks great. I know Yamaha is going after a different type of rider with the FZ1 vs the R1, but still we can all appreciate a paint job that "pops". It's fine if they want to offer some sort of monochrome paint job as well, but give the consumer some options here...

I was waiting to see what the new model year brought, but no new FZ1. I'm in the market because I got hit on the freeway and dumped my FZR 1K at 70. Totaled the bike, face planted into the freeway and broke my collar bone and a little road rash. I had a full helmet, jacket, gloves and boots on so I got off pretty light. A red 09 looks mighty fine; marked and RED. But a the Aprilia Tuono is looking mighty nice.

The FZ1 is still a darned good bike for the price and for 95% of the people who will buy one or already have one, the bike's abilities still surpass the rider's. If it's more power or sharper handling, you can spend another few thousand bucks and get a Duck, MV or who knows what. Riders used to complain that bikes changed too quickly which outdated their own model. I've had my "08" now almost 4 years and except for color it's pretty much the same as the "12". Makes me feel good.

Last edited:
Whew! Thank God! If they came out with the GenIII it would have been WWIII at our house. When and if they come out with the new generation, I know I'm really gonna want one. Mrs. Duffer is gonna have a hell of a time keeping me out of the dealership when it finally comes out.

I agree! In fact, I really hope they don't bring a Gen3 out for at least another 2 years!! Too many great bikes, not enough time or money!!

Back