2011 Gentlemen Sportbike Shootout

The 2011 still has the dreaded "snatch". From the article:

"The FZ1 was judged as the most flickable and sporty platform, making it our first choice for taking to a trackday. But our testers were annoyed by its abrupt response off-throttle. Yamaha has updated its ECU several times over the years, and it’s better than ever, but some kinks still need to be worked out. “It makes accurate, smooth throttle control very difficult in tight curves,” Giardinelli observes."

I find it telling that the off to on throttle problem was noted in the handling section of the article and not covered in the motor section.

"The FZ1, at $10,490, is the most affordably priced of the three but is also cursed with the least desirable engine character."

Throw in a couple hundred $$$ for an FCE and the problem is solved.

Or even better a PC and a good custom tune. With that the bike totally wakes up in the mid-range and smoothes the snatch. Again with my '10 ECU with a custom tune there is no snatch...well...you know what I mean. Don't let Mrs. Hellgate read this.

Seems to me that with the PC a tune and a pipe the bike is all over the Kawi. Well...what else is new?

As I was reading this I was thinking about the fact that a torquie motor really doesn't matter that much. Why? My R6 will spank much larger bikes on the track. My R6 "only" makes 95 hp on a Factory Pro, about 102 on a DynoJet, but I'll fly by R1's with so-so riders.

Seemed to me that the FZ1 was really the best bike of the shoot out, because for me it's all about handling and the chassis and brakes.

Last edited:
I thought it was a great article and it seems like they nailed the 3 bikes pretty well. One thing I found interesting was the dyno tests on the bikes. The sub-100 horsepower of the GSX1250/Bandit didn't look nearly as weak when you actually saw the output of all the stock bikes compared in the real world. I bet it's a really nice motor.

Everyone loves that 7000rpm rush the FZ1 has though. That was my favourite thing about the motor as well

Throw in a couple hundred $$$ for an FCE and the problem is solved.

Not really a fair comparison unless you do the same to all the bikes I guess. :D Everyone talks about how you can 'wake up' the FZ1 with mods and what not, but those same things can be done to any bike really so it's sort of irrelevant I think

:+1:

Yep, that would be great.

As my wife and I put in 300 miles on Easter Sunday I didn't find the bike lacking at all. Plenty of midrange/power, great brakes, comfortable for the both of us, and handled great.

Here's the funny part if I bought the Kawi I'd do the same that my FZ1 has, good shock, PC - custom tune, probably bars, maybe rearsets.

Last edited:
It used to be with pro boxing that in order to beat the champ you had to be the clear winner. Anything resembling a tie went to the champ. I think of the FZ1 as the champ in its class these last 5 years and IMHO none of these new contenders have clearly beat the champ.

The "floppy" (video) or "understeering" (text) described in the video and text of the Ninja 1000 would be reason enough for me to avoid the bike. After riding the FZ1 I believe I'd find the GSXFA more comfortable for all day riding but less skillful in aggressive riding. Again, not enough to beat the champ. Keep bringing on the contenders.

I love love love love my FZ1 but, I really like that NINJA! I have loved Kawasakis in the past. I am actually going to test ride one this weekend. For informational purposes only of course.

I love love love love my FZ1 but, I really like that NINJA! I have loved Kawasakis in the past. I am actually going to test ride one this weekend. For informational purposes only of course.

It's been nice Jamieb... we're sorry to see ya without the tuning forks. :poke: :laugh2:

I have read Cycle World since it was first published and I also subbed to just about every cycle rag that has ever been on the stands. The more sport oriented magazines almost always come up with very similar conclusions. I may disagree with some of the finer points, only because I have a long-term familiarity with a particular machine, but I also know they get to "field test" all the new stuff and I don 't, so who am I to tell them what is really a better ride. I sure wish Yamaha would put a little more effort into smoothing out the throttle on the FZ1. I know after adjusting, like I have, it's liveable, but if you get to ride a +100 H.P. bike that does throttle well, you appreciate it even more. My wife has a 2010 Toyota Rav4 and the first damned thing I noticed about it was severe throttle snatch. It can be really disconcerting when coming on and off and back on throttle. I just bought a used Focus with the a 2 litre DOHC and it's far better in that one respect so it can be accomplished. I'd be happy to give up a few H.P. but have a smooth throttle.

Smooth throttle on the GenII is simply a matter of installing the proper mods. It costs some $ but it does work remarkably well. The added power is nice too!

Very nicely done article.

For my needs, the FZ1 is still the champ. I love that it is the least buzzy on the freeway, and that it is the most flickable during canyon runs. It is the lightest too. I love that it has a center stand, which is a big thing for me.

The Kawi would be my 2nd choice, for it's similar riding position, comfort, to the FZ1, and better handling and power then the Suzuki.

The Suzuki is a let down. It has a big motor but not big performance. Sure it's low end torque is wonderful but over all I'm not so impressed.

As to looks, and this is so subjective, I think the FZ1 looks the best, then the Kawi, and frankly, the Suzuki looks butt ugly....what an ugly bike....too much like the ugly Bandit...ugly!

But our testers were annoyed by its abrupt response off-throttle....“It makes accurate, smooth throttle control very difficult in tight curves,” Giardinelli observes.

I really like the G2 Throttle Tamer for smooth throttle control. It's a simple mechanical solution to the "on/off" throttle response. It works by incorporating a non-linear ratio between hand throttle rotation and input, but only during the first 1/4 inch of rotation. It allows for better control by allowing fine tuning of acel/decel when starting out or in a turn. But, you won't notice a delay when you really get on it. It's about $60 and I think well worth it. Note: the effect is not dramatic, but real. :sport12:

Smooth throttle on the GenII is simply a matter of installing the proper mods. It costs some $ but it does work remarkably well. The added power is nice too!

Wouldn't you think that Yamaha should have incorporated the fix in the bike from the factory? This is the only bike I have owned that had a transition problem. Mine is fixed by way of mods but you just gotta say HMMMMMmmmm....

Wouldn't you think that Yamaha should have incorporated the fix in the bike from the factory? This is the only bike I have owned that had a transition problem. Mine is fixed by way of mods but you just gotta say HMMMMMmmmm....

Agreed. And, I do wish it had the low end torque present in the Kawa and Suzi.

I always want a bike, a car, a horse...whatever, to have low end torque. That's where we all spend most of our time.
That said, I find the low end torque in the FZ1 to be adequate, but not thrilling.

Last edited:
Back