2008 Sat for ten days, then would not start

My Shorai lithium never failed to start me, even after sitting outside for 8 hours at my work in up to -10c (14f). I'm surprised you had such trouble,

Dam my Shoria starts to have trouble around 30' f . Also it starts messing with my dash the trip and Mpg fade and go blank . The five year old yusa never did that . No regrets live and learn .

They suggest switching your ignition on for 1 minute before starting, allowing the battery to warm up from the draw of the lights and such. Have you tried that?

They suggest switching your ignition on for 1 minute before starting, allowing the battery to warm up from the draw of the lights and such. Have you tried that?

That works sometimes . The Shoria is in my Honda . There is alot more electronics than the FZ or the 919 . I dont know Dustin . The FZ is gonna be six years old and she fires up every time and ive NEVER charged it .

Well she sat on the Tender Jr since Saturday. I rode her to work last Thursday and it started all day. Went to start her this morning(after putting on all my cold weather-gear) and she would not start. :surrender::surrender::surrender:

When I came in the house, the wife was gathering her car keys and the granddaughter to drive me to work, "I guess you should order a new battery."

Well she sat on the Tender Jr since Saturday. I rode her to work last Thursday and it started all day. Went to start her this morning(after putting on all my cold weather-gear) and she would not start. :surrender::surrender::surrender:

When I came in the house, the wife was gathering her car keys and the granddaughter to drive me to work, "I guess you should order a new battery."

It will not get any better, nor will the wifey continue to be amused. Save yourself the grief and get a new battery.

You most likely have a battery issue. I have an '09 with the original battery (more on that later). It is always on a Battery Tender Jr., and it sits for two months during the summer when I flee north to escape the heat. It never failed to start until last week after sitting for 7 days. Battery Tender showed 'green light', so rolled it out of the garage and tried to start it. It would crank, but slower than normal, then the dreaded 'click, click, click'. I've noticed for the last month it seemed to crank a little slower than normal, but it always started. So I ordered a new Yuasa gel filled battery from Amazon (Yuasa no: YUAM72Z14). They are all priced similarly whether on eBay or Amazon, so take your pick. I like Amazon because they deliver when they say they are going to.

In the meantime I removed the OEM battery and expected to find a Yuasa, nope, it had a crappy BikeMaster (Chinese made) battery that the dealer put in the bike when I bought it NEW. So I'll have a visit with them the next time I see them (a-holes). They put a cheap battery in and kept the better one for themselves. Got the new, MADE IN JAPAN Yuasa battery two days later and the first thing I did was put it on the 0.75 amp BT because you never know how long it has sat since being made, the dates are coded so you can't be sure. It went from 'red' to 'green' in about 45 minutes. Dropped it in the bike and it started up with less than 1/2 second of cranking, you could hear that the starter motor spun much faster. Remember, the battery is supplying energy for the coils, injectors, fuel pump, and the starter and if it isn't up to scratch it won't start the engine even if it shows the correct voltage (the real world 'load test'). So I'm good to go. I suspect your battery is on it's way out, you have done well if it is the original battery. Don't risk being stuck out somewhere....change it now..

Just ordered it. Thanks everyone. The wife has Amazon Prime, so FREE shipping. ALSO, $30 cheaper than the local dealer who scratched my rims last year putting on my new Conti Motions.

Last edited:
New Battery arrived, bike still starting on the original

Dirty Dot 3.jpg

Waiting for the new battery, I had not been on the 08 in a few days, but left it on the Battery Tender Jr.

So my friend buys a 96 Monster on Friday, comes to my house on Saturday, "Lets go down the Sacramento River Road to Isleton for lunch." "It probably won't start, but lets try," I reply.

We get five miles out of town and he is having trouble getting into 1st at the from neutral. It dies, like he stalled it. I go buy Dot 4 for the clutch reservoir. Nothing fixed. A friend shows up on his BEAUTIFUL red 83 Motto Guzzi Lemans, bleeds the clutch of the old-dirty fluid and it works like a charm. We go on a two hour ride through the Delta. The 08 started every time we stopped.

I told new Monster owner, "You buy an old bike, please take it to the local(expensive) Ducati dealer and get everything inspected."

I was lucky two years ago with my 08. Owner number three bought it from the dealer with 151 miles on it(trade-in for an R1). He put 2400+ miles on it in in four years around Auburn, CA. It was still like new when I bought it. I now have 12,600 on the FZ1.

The Monster sounds GREAT when he cranks the throttle with those two cans up each side.

:bowdown:

Last edited:
Installed the new battery yesterday at 8AM, just before a 227 mile ride with two Ducati and one Moto Guzzi friends from Sacramento, to Napa then home, all on rural roads. The 08 FZ1 started the second I pressed the starter bottom, all day long. Same thing this morning at 6am and 41 degrees outside. Thanks for all the advice folks.

Sunday FUN.jpg

Back