2008 FZ1 Not pulling cleanly in first gear

Hey all,

I have an FZ1 2008 with the following mods

Power commander fuel controller
Ivan's RCM Performance sub-throttle flaps
Ivan's RCM Performance FCE (fuel cut eliminator kit)
Ivan's RCM Performance air box and AIS modification kit
BMC race air filter

The bike has a great deal of mid range and top end power but is very low on power at the bottom end.

The problem I'm experiencing is during hard first gear pulls..The bike revs will climb to about 5000, then pause momentarily, before climbing again. It makes the entire bike jolt forwards then backwards. Any clues what could be causing it?

Cheers

This mid-rpm stumbling is often related to coils or a kinked fuel line under the tank. You can search here for threads on both topics.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply guys. Just got back from the garage. Apparently the coils are fine. The problem is that the secondary butterflies have been removed by the previous owner. I'm guessing the bike then needs custom tuning with a PC V. Currently it just has a power commander fuel controller. Could someone create a map that would work with my setup? Should I buy a PC V and take it to a dyno? Or should I try and track down a replacement set of secondary butterflies?

Cheers

Ivan sells modified flies, you could try a set of those?

The odd thing is that the previous owner said it had Ivan's modified flies! I've ordered a set from copperdawg.. I'll get them installed and see if the problem still remains. If it does then I guess I have no choice but to buy a PC V and pay for the tuning; :(

It will be much better with a set of stock or modified flies in it. What you are experiencing is a known problem with removed flies.The bike bogs then takes off again.
Modified flies are an old modification, these days Ivan (and others) offer an ECU re-flash which works with stock flies.

It will be much better with a set of stock or modified flies in it. What you are experiencing is a known problem with removed flies.The bike bogs then takes off again.
Modified flies are an old modification, these days Ivan (and others) offer an ECU re-flash which works with stock flies.

Thanks for the reassurance. Can you explain why this happens? In neutral the engine revs perfectly to red line.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reassurance. Can you explain why this happens? In neutral the engine revs perfectly to red line.
Something about the throttle bodies being too big for the engine. Way too much air low in the revs.

I read that riders without flies were just avoiding big throttle inputs at low revs to get around it but it sounds like a half measure to me.

It probably doesn't do it in neutral because there's no load on the motor.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

Lifted the tank today and opened the airbox and what did I find...Ivans butterflies..So what are my options now? Get the coils checked? Are there any other symptons of bad coils I should be looking for?

15369661_1570797782947927_1479624334_o.jpg

I thought you had the coils checked already?

You also said that you already have a Power Commander? The PCV (Power Commander 5) is just a newer version of the Power Commander, either will do the job.

If so then you may just need to get a custom dyno tune or find a map that works.

Last edited:
The garage said there was no need to check the coils because they thought the bike had no butterflies and that this lack of butterflies was causing the bogging/surging when going to WOT.

The bike has a power commander fuel controller. The tuning company said they didnt have the appropriate software to tune the PC FC so suggested I get a PC V. I've been using a stage 4 map from duke nukem.

Well this got more interesting ...

After riding about 200km the bike suddenly stopped wanting to stay in 6th gear. It would click in to gear then almost immediately go to a false neutral. This happened repeatedly for about 5km until I decided to stop the bike and check the oil level etc. Upon restarting the engine I could hear a nasty grinding sound coming from the gearbox, but only when the bike was on its side stand. So I took it to yamaha and apparently the gear selector fork is broken.

Now my question is; what could have caused this? Could it have something to do with my first gear problem? I'm fairly convinced my previous mentioned problem was a gearbox issue as it only ever happened when the bike was under load and in first gear. Second gear on-wards was smooth as silk making me think its not a tuning issue unless the ECU recognizes its in first gear and does something specific to the fueling?? If the first gear pulling issue is a gearbox issue how was it missed so easily by yamaha and two separate private and experienced mechanics?

Yamaha have told me it will take about 2 months to fix the gearbox as they have a long queue and they'll have to order the parts from japan which will take 45 days alone.

Back