2007 FZ1 for sale - $4750

torquewhore

Hi Y'all,

I sadly need to sell my FZ1.

Fender Eliminator
Micron GP Slip On
Flush Mount Signals
AIS Mod (I used bolt/hose clamp)
Rotella Full Synthetic for changes (every 3k)
Almost has 18k on it
BT016's (Front has ~1500m, rear ~1000m logged on them respectively)
The battery just failed so I've been roll starting it. Am going to buy new battery this week
Chain cleaned and lubed regularly (I try for every 600 miles but sometimes give or take a few hundred)
This has the stock toolkit and both stock keys (one of them never used still in plastic sleeve)

Runs great with no problems. Has some light cosmetic damage. I purchased this from a dealer the title indicated it was repossessed by the lien holder. That poor chap not only couldn't pay for his bike but apparently couldn't ride it well either - it's been laid over at what looks like was a very low speed. Pics tell all...

Please see the album link for pics. The first set are from when I first got it while the second set indicates what it currently looks like.

[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/erich.gradle/FZ1?feat=directlink"]http://picasaweb.google.com/erich.gradle/FZ1?feat=directlink[/URL]

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Nice looking bike and the damage doesn't look too bad. That's a fair asking price so just give it some time. With Spring on the way it should sell...

Finally sold the bike. For $4500 much less than the $5k I origanlly was hoping to get. Personally - the FZ1 was not for me and I couldn't be happier to get rid of it. I doubt I will ever look at getting another Yamaha again.

The trade off on comfort gained for performance lost (against a sportbike) is not worth it. The seating position is still slightly leaned over kind of in between a truly comfortable spot and a sportbike spot. Then if you are going 100+ for any extended period of time it's super uncomfortable to lean over behind the windscreen since the bars are farther back making your arms all jammed. I felt I had less control bent over the tank with my arms right next to my chest as well.

There are tons more reasons why I hate this bike. They are all kinda small and nitpicky. Over all it's a decent bike with plenty of power for the average user. Just the fact that this and the other forum exist and are so rich with info indicates the bike has issues.

I'll be without a bike for a while as I try to buy my first home. Or maybe I should just get a BMW S1000RR instead...

Well sometimes what you get just isn't what you had hoped it would be. Speaking of getting a house, it's probably never been a better time if you can swing it, good luck, and hope you score.... I'v had bikes that I just never fell in love with and the Fz1 was one for a while, I never really felt right on it, the leans never felt right, or at least what I

had anticipted or thought they might be. It was too raked on the front, and a bit long. It took a good month of riding before I started feeling anywhere near what the bike was capable of. Now.....I feel at home. I don't know about the Gen. 2, I had thought the Gen. 1 had the edge on about everything, but I'm sure the Gen. 2 guys and girls could enlighten me somewhat. If you never liked it, and never thought it a first choice, it's probably time to off it, and I see you did. It looks like you may be looking for a full-on BulitBike and not a Naked. The Beemer is a lofty goal, but I'm not sure the jury's exactly in on that one yet, and for my money, if you could afford that, I

believe I'd be looking at Aprilias. Just me.... However your notion that we somehow are frawt with 'problems' I think is somewhat condecending. There is a wealth of information because it is so popular a bike, a real life bike, not a poseur ride with only 3K on the clock. If you became disenchanted with the 'other' forum, I fully know what you mean. It is or has become a malcontented site, I'v personally quit them.

Last edited:
That is because the other site is run by a bunch of old, ignorant farts who have ample spare time on their hands to scourge the forum and weigh each and every post on a pedestal. Some people have even got banned for simple statements that the mods found some implicit meaning to them.

Right on target, crazybiker. Registered sites are only as good as the lowest common denominator of mods. One bad mod will torpedo a site no matter how good the members.

I don't think torquewhore did all the mods.

If he wanted a tour bike, FZ is NOT there. But there's no way anyone can complain about the FZ performance while laying claim to knowing how to ride the bike.

Someone got an excellent bike for a give away deal, for sure.

I don't think he was patient enough since he posted this the 2nd day he bought the bike:

1st intro thread: http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-general-discussion/1368-just-got-my-first-fz1.html

2 days later

2nd remorse thread: http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-general-discussion/1377-im-having-second-thoughts-about-my-fz1.html

I could understand if it was a 06 and had that dreaded snatch. But on 06+ you can hardly feel it. Still with standard cheap mods: slipon (he had one already), PC3, smaller flies, airbox mod will open up this bike. It will easily have more grunt than a R1 and better midrange. Now maybe still lacking compared to a Fireblade but this bike is no slouch.

And as AFM Ken Hill from Yamaha Champions School certified the FZ1 to have awesome power and excellent front suspension (he wished his track bike had that good fontend), I can't argue more.

Last edited:
"believe I'd be looking at Aprilias. Just me.... However your notion that we somehow are frawt with 'problems' I think is somewhat condecending. There is a wealth of information because it is so popular a bike, a real life bike, not a poseur ride with only 3K on the clock"

None of the bikes I have owned in the past have been "poseur" rides. All my bikes have been daily drivers regardless of configuration (naked or full on). I'm just saying that the fact that these forums exist to tell you how to get your FZ1 up to proper performance is evidence that Yamaha did a crappy job in the first place. No liter bike should need mods like cutting into airboxes, rerouting cables, tying flies, plugging hoses, replacing rear shocks, FCE eliminators, PC III with some dudes fuel maps etc just to reach an acceptable level of performance (espcially down low... no one is going to argue that the motor is great up top). I just think Yamaha did a diservice to the owners of this bike. It could have just been a more comfortable R1 but instead they fuked it all up.

One particularly unforgivable trait was the dead zone in between throttle off and throttle back on at speed. It is very slight and I don't think a less experienced rider would even notice it. Either that or I was just spoiled by better throttle response from my previous motorcycles. What I experienced was if you are drivin along at say, 40mph (it deosn't matter what speed) and close the throttle, then open it back up to resume acceleration, power would be dead, dead, dead, then all the sudden - back on. I would even be anticipating the return of power by moving my body weight forward only to have no opposite reaction from the acceleration. It was like expecting another step at the top of a flight of stairs but there isn't one. Grrr... I'm not explaining this well and I don't have lots of time to go into cuz I'm at work and not working but I should be. Anyway - ppl say that tying the flies, or doing the FCE would help this but cmon... you should not have to do mods to make the throttle smooth. Also - people in the past have commented that maybe it was user error that maybe I have am not smooth with my application. I am saying that is not the case here. I am an expert driver of motorcycles, planes, cars, trucks, boats anything with a motor. Even RC cars.

And I DID give the bike a chance. I had it from July to March, 7 months. I rode it every day. I rode the tits off it. Don't think I was babying it either... the peg feelers are clear indicators of my lean angles. This thing is not made to go 150+ though I didn't feel all that buttoned down at that speed.

The BMW has 190hp! List price here in Dallas is $13,500 for the base model (no abs or TC). There is no litre Aprilla that can come close to that price point.

All I really need is a nice 2003/2004 GSXR 1000. That bike has it all... so much power and torque (and torque available down really low... I could always pull right out into traffic and accellerate into a hole with ease from 2k rpm where on the FZ1 it was dead until 6k... dangerous.). Plus, along with all that great handling at 180mph, and has room for your clear visor in the trunk (something you can't say about the FZ1... why don't I get a tankbag? I shouldn't need to the designers should stop sucking)

As far as the forums go - I like this one way better. I just happened to find this one first as well so it's my main thang. I've never really participated too much in the other one... but no one has said anything bad to me or anything.

Ok... back to work so I can stop jumping screens everytime someone walks by...

True FZ1 is more comfortable. But for me the added comfort was not enough to offset my complaints. Obviously every bike does something different for each person. The position is still a bit leaned over though. On long rides I still found myself wanting to prop myself up by puttin my elbow on the tank (which I used to do on crotch rockets alot). But the tank slopes away from you so it deosn't quite work the same. It surely is not more comforatble at 100+ though since the croucing-behing-the-windscreen position is terrible. Oh, and I almost forgot to complain about how the tank deosn't hold very much fuel.

Anyway, I hope no one is offended by my opinions here... that is all they are just opinions.

True FZ1 is more comfortable. But for me the added comfort was not enough to offset my complaints. Obviously every bike does something different for each person. The position is still a bit leaned over though. On long rides I still found myself wanting to prop myself up by puttin my elbow on the tank (which I used to do on crotch rockets alot). But the tank slopes away from you so it deosn't quite work the same. It surely is not more comforatble at 100+ though since the croucing-behing-the-windscreen position is terrible. Oh, and I almost forgot to complain about how the tank deosn't hold very much fuel.

Anyway, I hope no one is offended by my opinions here... that is all they are just opinions.

I'm not offended, not at all. Like you said, it's all about your personal experience, likes and dislikes. Hey, the bike just didn't work for you. :D

What I'd have tried though is different bars or some bar-backs if you wanted to sit up straighter. A set of FZ6 bars would have made all the difference you seeked. Gillies rearsets would have allowed you to toy with the peg positions to make them right.

However, not much will fix the small tank problem and yes, that is my only complaint about the bike right now. I'd like more distance between stops. I was spoiled on the FZ6 because it was 220 miles before I had to pull over. Now I'm scanning the horizon at 140 miles.

Ok, back to the new ride... what will it be? You can go back to the R1 and convert it to handlebars with the Spiegler kit ($500.00) to sit upright.

This thing is not made to go 150+ though I didn't feel all that buttoned down at that speed.

All I really need is a nice 2003/2004 GSXR 1000. Plus, along with all that great handling at 180mph.

Just have to ask. Are you racing this bike at the track, if so you did pick the wrong bike if that's you're main purpose. If you're just commuting and riding it on the streets, who heck goes 150mph let alone needs great handling at 180mph?

torquewhore said:
This thing is not made to go 150+ though I didn't feel all that buttoned down at that speed.

All I really need is a nice 2003/2004 GSXR 1000. Plus, along with all that great handling at 180mph.

I don't know but if someone mentions such lame excuses to sell a bike I just think stupid. :disapproval:

Who does fracking 150-180 mph on the street? I can understand taking sweepers at 100-120 mph. Thats why it is very difficult to believe such claims.

Doing those kind of speeds on the streets is just a liability for others and himself. Take it to the track!

Last edited:
"... I could always pull right out into traffic and accellerate into a hole with ease from 2k rpm where on the FZ1 it was dead until 6k... dangerous.)....

What kind of traffic are you driving in? formula 1?

I think that statement is an exaggeration.
whupass_smilie.gif

???

Originally Posted by torquewhore
"... I could always pull right out into traffic and accellerate into a hole with ease from 2k rpm where on the FZ1 it was dead until 6k... dangerous.)....

There isn't anything on 4 wheels that can catch me, whether from a dead stop or rollin' out of a merge lane, and a few (Viper SRT 10) have tried. So I find that statement hard to swallow. Learn to use the equipment that you have, not crap on it (so to speak) and sell it!

Or better research what you are planning to buy so you get a machine that will suit what you desire. So much cheaper in the long run.

Back