2006 FZ1 & Power Commander V + Auto Tune Question / Problem

Ok so I spent most of today installing the Power Commander V + Auto Tune on my 2006 FZ1 now I have 3 questions

First - I am getting Error 76 every now and then and can not figure out what that error is

Second - How can you tell that the O2 is actually doing something, I had to make the harness longer due to how sort the thing was I soldered the wires and put heat shrink tube + wrapped it in electrical tape however in the Power Commander V App the A/F1 shows 0.0000 I'm not sure if the software shows the A/F mixture from the Auto Tune or if I now have a brick O2

Third - Any suggestions for getting a good base map for PCV with the following mod's done - Files removed, Stacks Installed, Scorpion Slip On, Air Box Mod

Thanks for any help or and pointers in the right direction.

Last edited:
Don't know what that error code is. I don't think lengthening the O2 harness was a good idea. I believe that DJ recommends against doing that. Did you remember to enable the Autotune module within the PC V software? As for a good base map, I don't think it will matter much with the Autotune since it will make it's own changes. Just use one of the DJ maps that came with the unit which is closest to your mods. By the way here are some pics of how I mounted my O2 sensor. Granted this may not work for you since I removed my center stand when I did my Yosh R-77 exhaust:

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

Thanks for the images, yes I enabled the auto tune feature in the software - can you tell me if your Air/Fuel ratio shows up in the software? Do you know the replacement Bosh PN for the O2 maybe I will go out and buy another one and try to re-route it and remove my center stand however I tend to use my center stand a lot.

Thanks for the help

I have a Bosch O2 sensor on my bike that I use with an A/F guage to monitor my fuel mixture. All the sensor does is send a voltage to your computer which translates to how the combustion is, I.E. is there complete or incomplete combustion basically. I talked to the guys I got my bosch and meter combo from when I bought it because I was already thinking of modifying the length of the cable and they said it would NOT affect the opperation as long and the wires got reconnected properly and mine works just fine. I actually ended up cutting the length by 1/2 because it was far too long. Unless you are sending parallel data, length, within reason, should not have any effect on the voltage as it reaches your PC V.

Yeah I made sure to make all the wire taps nice and clean and protect each wire - so I guess the biggest question is - can you tell the auto tune is getting the correct signal as my PCV software is not showing anything for the Air/Fuel mixture 0.000 is what I see no matter what

It's been a while since I've had the laptop connected to the PC V, but I am pretty sure that the A/F ratio did show up on the display. Only other thing I can think of is the little blank plugs that you're supposed to insert in any ports that you don't use on the AutoTune module. Did you insert those?

No, I don't know the part number of the O2 sensor, but it may not be that cheap...I thought the instructions mentioned the part # somewhere, but I can't find it.

Last edited:
I did not put the blanks in the ports from what it looked like they look just like little rubber plugs unless I am missing something?

I did not put the blanks in the ports from what it looked like they look just like little rubber plugs unless I am missing something?

Well that may be the issue. While they just look like blank piece of rubber I believe that they terminate the unused data buses on there. Go put them on an see if it makes a difference. It certainly wont hurt. I have them installed on mine by the way.

Well I kinda feel dumb now LOL, the Power Commander V plugs are in fact just a little rubber stopper however the plug for the AutoTune does in fact terminate the bus and after installing the plug the A/F started to show up

Thanks for pointing me in that direction I was going to install them but wanted to make sure everything worked before buttoning up the bike - kinda funny I should have looked closer

Thank you very much

So do I just ride the bike and let the auto tune do it's thing or do I need to go in and accept the changes that auto tune does?

Now I feel really dumb I just went to re-read the autotune instructions and it says the following:

To verify that Auto tune is working you should see a real time AFR reading in the lower right hand corner of the software. A value of 9.99 could indicate a faulty sensor or the sensor wired incorrectly to the module. A value of 0.00 could indicate that the CAN termination plugs have not been installed or Autotune has not been enabled in the software.

Clear as day - not sure how I missed that one..

Now I feel really dumb I just went to re-read the autotune instructions and it says the following:

To verify that Auto tune is working you should see a real time AFR reading in the lower right hand corner of the software. A value of 9.99 could indicate a faulty sensor or the sensor wired incorrectly to the module. A value of 0.00 could indicate that the CAN termination plugs have not been installed or Autotune has not been enabled in the software.

Clear as day - not sure how I missed that one..

Well sometimes we miss the obvious...glad I was able to point you in the right direction.

And yes just ride for a few days and then connect PC V to laptop/computer to accept the changes. Once you accept changes then the loaded map is modified.

Another question about the plug, did you install both plugs (One for the left over Auto Tune port and one for the left over PCV port)? or just one plug on the Auto Tune?

Another question about the plug, did you install both plugs (One for the left over Auto Tune port and one for the left over PCV port)? or just one plug on the Auto Tune?

No, I did both since I had the plugs. I am not sure the one in the PC V makes a difference since I ran it for a while w/o the plug and all seemed fine.

Two things about this...
Interesting in one way because both Bosch and Dynojet said NEVER to modify the length of the wires, as doing so would alter and mess up the way the 02 sensor works. I was thinking I'd do the same, but both companies said :hellno:

Second thing, be advised that Auto Tune has come under some pretty serious fire in the R1 community and the V-Max world. This device appears to be having some real trouble being accurate, especially in the cruising throttle ranges. Try doing a Google search on 'R1 Auto Tune Problems', and start looking into the forum results. Dynojet has acknowledged issues, and I am currently working on a fix with my 08' FZ1. The maps & trims became increasingly erratic, and the bike starting running not nearly as well as with the tuned base-map from Ivan's...which makes the bike run AWESOME. After a couple weeks on Auto Tune, it was not awesome.

You WILL have problems with this, and I'd recommend when you see wacked out numbers in your map that you contact Dynojet and dial up Dusty at x. 1110, or email him at [email protected].

Just letting people know that the AT is not all they're marketing, and I've gotten conflicting info from them already. I also talked to a guy there by the name of Jay Carpenter, x. 1112.

- T.

troyw, the extension did not seem to cause any issues after I put the plugs in the AT everything started to work, I have seem some articles that the AT has a digital ground issue and that the TPS is really jumpy on our bikes and we should tie into the digital ground of our sensors and this will correct that jumpy TPS I personally have just set the auto tune to 0 in the 2 and 5% columns all the way down - I do currently have the autotune disabled till further research can be done on it's accuracy

Interesting...perhaps those companies just say that stuff to cover themselves in case it's done wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. It's probably best that way.

I have talked with Dusty from DJ, and they are really working on this, and he seems a great guy who's genuinely interested in fixing this. He's actually sending me a new 02 controller they've been trying from an R6. Could be a step in right direction. I'll keep you all posted.

Recap...4-2-10

Both Bosch and Dynojet said it will ruin the way the Auto Tune and O2 sensors read if we cut and splice the wires. I don't think you, me, or anyone here knows better than those that make this stuff in cases like these. You may think it works fine, but if BOTH companies are saying no, and Bosch gave me a pretty concise and detailed reason, then you're fooling yourself and it's not working right. Bosch said these wires cannot be altered because they actually have something to do with fresh air readings, and if modified or cut, this will be altered and ruined. Call them up yourselves and ask them.

Second, Dynojet is now saying to use the Auto Tune in conjunction with the advanced gear mapping. Honestly, I gave up on it and sold it to somebody in Europe. Good luck to them. Once I put Ivan's E-map back in, the bike runs smooth, picks the front end up, and runs HARD to the rev limiter in 6th gear on a straight. So long, Auto Tune, and good riddance. My good gas mileage also returned.

Recap...4-2-10

Both Bosch and Dynojet said it will ruin the way the Auto Tune and O2 sensors read if we cut and splice the wires. I don't think you, me, or anyone here knows better than those that make this stuff in cases like these. You may think it works fine, but if BOTH companies are saying no, and Bosch gave me a pretty concise and detailed reason, then you're fooling yourself and it's not working right. Bosch said these wires cannot be altered because they actually have something to do with fresh air readings, and if modified or cut, this will be altered and ruined. Call them up yourselves and ask them.

Second, Dynojet is now saying to use the Auto Tune in conjunction with the advanced gear mapping. Honestly, I gave up on it and sold it to somebody in Europe. Good luck to them. Once I put Ivan's E-map back in, the bike runs smooth, picks the front end up, and runs HARD to the rev limiter in 6th gear on a straight. So long, Auto Tune, and good riddance. My good gas mileage also returned.

Honestly, I don't know why Bosch or any company that makes o2 sensors would say that as they sell universal o2's that have to be cut and spliced together and its common place and practice on automobiles with no side effects. So its odd that they are saying that. As long as you don't screw up and hook up the wrong color wires they will work as intended spliced or not.

Back