1st Gen Capable??

So just getting a read here - with stock suspension set up for the track, and good tires, can I assume the bike is capable (pending my throttle and braking management skills) of leaning over all the way to the footpegs in a turn? Clearly assuming corner speed is correct and all...

The point is, it seems to me the only thing limiting me is my own confidence in what the bike will tolerate, and my own will, and now, with my first track day this weekend, the elimination of on-coming traffic.

Michelin Pilot Power up front, Road 2CT rear - (now) excellent brakes.

OMG you guys are going to have a great time. Can't wait to see pictures. As long as nothing else touches down before the pegs and you stay relaxed and do all the right things it could be a possibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done it on my Gen 1, but I marked that down to bad form and low skills. :D

I think any bike is capable of such things so long as there is a rider able to make it happen

With stock suspension, if you pick up the pace at all then you're certainly going to drag the pegs... may as well go ahead and remove the feelers to spare grinding them off, but you'll still drag.

I had an '04 and ended up putting Vario adjustable pegs -- which are nice since they can be adjusted to sit a bit higher and rearward (see pic). Rearsets would be even better, but if suspension is stock then it makes more sense to put the money there first.

With stock suspension, if you pick up the pace at all then you're certainly going to drag the pegs... may as well go ahead and remove the feelers to spare grinding them off, but you'll still drag.

I had an '04 and ended up putting Vario adjustable pegs -- which are nice since they can be adjusted to sit a bit higher and rearward (see pic). Rearsets would be even better, but if suspension is stock then it makes more sense to put the money there first.

I'm curious about your rear sprocket. Is that aftermarket or stock???

I can tell you Jeff answered his own question today. The Gen I is capable. He did awesome! You would think he was the one of the two of us who had been riding for 20 years.

I thought so. It is an awesome looking piece. It looks very custom for some reason. Almost something you would see "Exile Cycles" use on one of his choppers. Pretty cool!

OMG you guys are going to have a great time. Can't wait to see pictures. As long as nothing else touches down before the pegs and you stay relaxed and do all the right things it could be a possibility

Well, after the educational classes during the day, I found that, properly positioned, at 'beginner' speeds, there should be no reason to drag metal. That being said, I dragged metal a few times. That must mean I wasn't positioned well enough to avoid it because I was certainly not going as fast as that!

I don't recommend hitting the curb-feelers, but it didn't seem to cause too much problem - just a surprising attention-getter!

For whatever its worth, the bike is still much more capable than I will ever be, but I pulled as much as I could at this point out of it, both of us being older and less agile than we once were! ;) (insert Toby Keith music here)

Tires got chewed up - chicken strips down to 1/8 inch max, not a flinch from the bike the whole day. This is one FREAKIN AWESOME MACHINE!

:party0011:

Well ... the front wheel wasn't always on the ground. ;)

Crazy Joe! Long time no see... I am doing okay. I hope all is well for you.

I totaled the striped bike last Oct. -- hitting loose gravel in the twisties. Yesterday, I just got back from a trip in the twisties and all is well. I rode better than I thought I would. Now, I have to paint the new bike. Still a 02 FZ1.

My setup was stock gearing, and in 2nd gear lifting was still pretty easy on some spots - but 3rd all the way around got me good rpm range, easy passing and plenty of top end up to 110 - then 4th/5th had to kick in to 135 at which point I kept running out of track!

I totaled the striped bike last Oct. -- hitting loose gravel in the twisties. Yesterday, I just got back from a trip in the twisties and all is well. I rode better than I thought I would. Now, I have to paint the new bike. Still a 02 FZ1.

Oh man I hate to hear that Joe (about the striped bike). But I'm glad to hear you're back in the saddle and pressing on. You got any track days in your sights this year?

Oh man I hate to hear that Joe (about the striped bike). But I'm glad to hear you're back in the saddle and pressing on. You got any track days in your sights this year?

Actually, a friend and I are thinking of doing our own private track day at Roebling or Jennings. I like RRR better. But, no plans yet.

Back