1981 kz 550 custom

Thing is, I LOVE my FZ1, but i can't help but want to trade it in for some extra cash and a different bike... I don't know why.

I mean, right now, I am paying off a 4400 dollar loan for the bike. I also have school coming up.. I mean, I don't NEED the money, but I feel like it would help.. I'm just kind of stuck in a rut haha

well im actually heading to philly on monday.. its about 6 or 7 hours from me, riding the whole way...

Haha, i wish some money just fell into my pocket.. that'd be nice.

Keep the FZ, that KZ550 will be a minger in comparison

You won't save money by selling and buying something old

Last edited:
Let me speak from experience. I used to own a 1981 Suzuki GS650E. It was a cool bike and somewhat 'modern' for its day. Dual rear shocks, chain drive, twin cam air cooled motor with 75hp, disc brakes all around, fuel gauge, etc.

I fixed it up, put collector plates on it and buzzed around. Great bike, fun to ride and a great engine note. That's really where it ended.

It paled in comparison to any modern bike. I put grippy brake pads and the best tires available and it was still just a bike to cruise and enjoy--it was not sporty at all and I wouldn't ever want to replace an FZ1 with it. It worked best as a weekend posing bike for crusing with mates.

i believe that unless i sand away some of the plastic headlight mount, that i wont be able to do that. plus i dont know if ill be able to go to a full lock..

but really, how important is a full lock?

I see your point but be very careful buying a bike that is that old.
Your FZ1 is rock solid (probably). They tend to be and you get a TON of miles virtually trouble free. With your older bike - if you start having problems with it - that $1500 can really start rising quickly.
I would keep the FZ1 until you finish school. That will give you a reliable ride to go to class every single day. Park right in front of the building you are having class and save a ton of time. That is MAJOR perk of having a bike.
I do see your point about putting money in your pocket. Just be sure you know what you are getting into.

Back