16t vs 17t

Does anyone here know if the stock 17t front sprocket is considerably better on the highway for long rides than the 16t for a Gen 2?

I am starting to feel like cruising at 75-80 would just be a lot better with the 17t... Is it worth swapping back to the 17?

What is going to happen if I get a 17T sprocket to put on my bike if I have been using the chain with the 16t. Like I know they should be bought as a set but I don't have the cash to get a complete setup right now. Reason I cant use the stocker is I am running 520 setup. I also do not have the stock chain anymore so going back to that is not happening.

Thanks!

I have used it. I actually was just using it. More so looking for input from people who have used the 16t for a while and gone back to the 17.

Looking for opinions basically, I am getting sick of the buzz at 5-6K doing 80mph ish. And I am destroying gas.

I went back to the 17T a while ago. The 16T was fun to play with but it's just as easy to drop a couple gears and go WOT. So, anyone interested in a Gen I OEM 16T sprocket? :D

I just think I am cruising too fast and honestly I feel bad turning the engine over at 6-7K sometimes up to 9k for 80 miles at a clip. I am thinking at that point I could really benefit from the 17T...

I just hate the idea of it as EVERYONE myself included preaches about how amazing the 16T is but I am doing so much more highway miles and a lot of trips planned this year I am thinking its just dumb to over rev it.

Sorry my thoughts are a mess, I am a little wiped out from today's ride.

Your thinking is correct. At least you have a SpeedoDRD though and are correctly ticking off the miles on the bike. The guys who run a 16T and don't correct are showing quite a few more miles than they really rode.

I'd put it back on for the touring trips but save it for possible trips like Deal's Gap or the likes. You'll appreciate it a lot more there than the riding you're about to do.

The main thing is you personally, did you notice a difference on long highway rides? Did the 16t ever numb your hands from the engine vibes?

At those speeds it wore on me. If I kept it under 70 I was OK. I wouldn't say it numbed my hands though. I've never had the FZ1 make my hands go numb no matter the gearing. Typically, that is from putting weight on your wrists when your elbows should always be bent and slightly relaxed at all times riding.

Yeah see when I am alone, I am fine! When I am with my friends, we are always cruising around 75-90 and up around 80+ its getting REAL annoying. I just feel like I am doing damage to the engine. My buddy on his Busa is only turning 4K doing 75. I am turning like 5500.

And numb is a bad term, they haven't gone numb just feel a little odd after a long ride at high speed. Seems like the vibes bother them.

Yeah see when I am alone, I am fine! When I am with my friends, we are always cruising around 75-90 and up around 80+ its getting REAL annoying. I just feel like I am doing damage to the engine. My buddy on his Busa is only turning 4K doing 75. I am turning like 5500.

And numb is a bad term, they haven't gone numb just feel a little odd after a long ride at high speed. Seems like the vibes bother them.

I wish we could select gear ratios like on a mountain bike. ;)

I often wonder about vibration that some people feel on these bikes. No matter what RPM range I am in, I never seem to feel them through the handle bars... I did on my feet when I reversed the washers and ended up swapping those back to original position. I guess I got lucky with this bike? :D Maybe some heavier bar ends would help... or get the heavy throttle meister set and you'll have cruise control and can relax EITHER hand on the highway. :tup:

Maybe go up one in the rear instead? one in front is equivelent to 3 in the rear..I think.

I think I am rather tired because I found this to be eff'n funny! I took this TOTALLY into a gutter-mind! :rofl: "I'll take none in the rear.... thanks!"

Please don't take offense because I do understand what you meant. ;)

HELLO??? I AGREE. Do any of you really run this thing at 9k all day?

I personally prefer my bikes to be as smooth and running lower rpms as possible at higher speeds...

I am finally going on the freeway for my 8 mile work commute. I think 60mph in 6th is like 4000rpm(?).

I would LOVE to do 70 mpg at 3500 rpm on Central CA long flat highways.

Is that a 17t in the front or 3 less teeth on the back sprocket?

Yes, I am not used to a Sport Bike, but on one 4 mile stretch at 75mph and I was thinking, "Why does this Leo Vinci sound like a pissed off hornet."

I am about to turn 4000 miles on the odometer, so it may be awhile before I make this change. :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

I have the 16 T and I'm doing so many highway miles that I think I'm gonna go back to the 17. Less vibration, lower revs, just seems like the right thing to do. I get tired after an hour at 80 mph, it definitely hums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be getting this completly wrong but with stock gearing going 75 MPH mine runs about 4750 RPM. So 4K RPM is quite low if you ask me for going 75 MPH. MY CBF1000 stock also did about 4750 RPM going 75 MPH.

I never really noticed much of a difference down low going from 17t to 16t. Maybe I just don't push it hard enough to notice. I am going back to 17t next whenever I need a new chain.

Back