-1 / +2 Stock chain?

Can I get a 16T front and a 46T rear sprocket, and use the stock chain? If that doesent work, what about 16T and 45T? I figure thats down one in front and up one in rear, so wouldnt that be the same as stock?

If not ill just do a 16 for now with the stock chain and hold out and in the spring do a 520 conversion like I had planned. Thing is, right now I REALLY want to change the gearing but I dont have the cash for the chain and sprockets setup. I figure my chain is brand new, why waste it right now. Rather just do the 16T and see whats good, for the 25 bucks I dont really care much...

Also will be doing the SpeedoDRD in the process...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
if you go onto flEabay and search the few companies that offer chains/sprockets, they'll be able to tell you whether your chain will need to be longer or not from their packaged deals.

I'm -1/+2 on a Gen I and still running stock length......

Last edited:
Can I get a 16T front and a 46T rear sprocket, and use the stock chain? If that doesent work, what about 16T and 45T? I figure thats down one in front and up one in rear, so wouldnt that be the same as stock?

If not ill just do a 16 for now with the stock chain and hold out and in the spring do a 520 conversion like I had planned. Thing is, right now I REALLY want to change the gearing but I dont have the cash for the chain and sprockets setup. I figure my chain is brand new, why waste it right now. Rather just do the 16T and see whats good, for the 25 bucks I dont really care much...

Also will be doing the SpeedoDRD in the process...

Thanks in advance!

Stock gearing is 17/45 so a 16/46 works just fine with the stock chain. If you have trouble getting the chain around the rear sprocket then just remove the axle completely so the wheel can move further forward. Once the chain is around the rear sprocket then move it into position and put the axle through.

Hey Papa,
How is your -1 / +1 set-up going for you? Does the bike pull harder now?
I'm in the same boat and I'm tossing up going -1 / +1 or +2??

530 vs 520

If keeping stock chain for 16/26, does it matter if you get 520 or 530 sprockets? Also can one be 520 and the other 530? I found a rear sprocket i like but it is 520, and the front is 530.

If keeping stock chain for 16/26, does it matter if you get 520 or 530 sprockets? Also can one be 520 and the other 530? I found a rear sprocket i like but it is 520, and the front is 530.

I assume you mean 16/46?
Yes it does matter as the pitch is different on a 520 to a 530.
The chain will not mate with it properly.
You need to run both 530 sprockets with the stock chain.

i have a standard chain and sprocket set up and was wondering if i change the standard front sprocket which is 16t? or is it 17t? not sure, so if i go 1 more tooth on the front sprocket will it give me more winding out at high speed? cause i find the stock set up seems to rev alot on the highways? any suggestions would be of help thanks

i have a standard chain and sprocket set up and was wondering if i change the standard front sprocket which is 16t? or is it 17t? not sure, so if i go 1 more tooth on the front sprocket will it give me more winding out at high speed? cause i find the stock set up seems to rev alot on the highways? any suggestions would be of help thanks

stock is 17T, 16T is less teeth=more acceleration, but spins faster= less top speed..

I liked some of the program a bit fancyful and some went over my head but changing my front for a 18 tooth will lower my revs by 200 revs in the region of dunno what that would do to mpg though. hopefully a bit more lol thanks for the link.

happyfinger
yip that'll be right I do not mind changing a gear for overtakes but I would think changing the front for an 18 will not dampen the torque to much but sitting at 80-85 will be better mpg.I have tried sitting at 70mph but apart from time lost I did not see better mpg which surprised me I find the fazer better at mpg reving it a little rather than sitting in high gear maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
I liked some of the program a bit fancyful and some went over my head but changing my front for a 18 tooth will lower my revs by 200 revs in the region of dunno what that would do to mpg though. hopefully a bit more lol thanks for the link.

happyfinger
yip that'll be right I do not mind changing a gear for overtakes but I would think changing the front for an 18 will not dampen the torque to much but sitting at 80-85 will be better mpg.I have tried sitting at 70mph but apart from time lost I did not see better mpg which surprised me I find the fazer better at mpg reving it a little rather than sitting in high gear maybe that's just me.

yes mate i will be putting a 18t on my fz1 as i like less revs and i am sure this will give better miles for fuel will post and outcome when i install one..:tup:

ps: i was also told when these bikes are new they seem to drink alot but will settle abit when ran in at about 30 thousand k's there abouts dont quote me on that one though...

Last edited:
These bikes just use heaps of fuel, especially the naked ones.
I reckon you will hardly notice the extra range by going 18T front, you will however feel the loss of acceleration.

I love my bike wouldn't part with it even would buy the same again if I had the money but like all bikes somethings can be changed for a better bike.i will see if the 18 on the front makes much of a dif end of the month.

UPDATE:
still waiting for my order chain is in stock and rear sprocket but waiting on the 18 tooth front might be with me monday or tuesday.As the money has been taken out of the bank now.

Back