-1 / +2 Stock chain?

On my Gen II, which has 17/45 sprockets, the 17 tooth front sprocket almost touches the guard, so I doubt that you can put an 18 tooth on the front. I believe you can go -1 / +2 with stock chain, and maybe +3.

Regarding top speed, stock gearing in 6th gear does not allow the engine to reach peak power RPM. For example, it might reach 10,700, but peak power is about 11,500. So changing the front from 17 to 16, will increase the RPM just about as I have described, and the lower gear ratio increases pulling power at the rear wheel. Top speed involves pushing a terrific amount of air out of the way, which requires tremendous torque.

For gas mileage, the RPM needs to go down for any particular speed, within reason. Pulling power in any particular gear will be reduced. For higher gearing, MPG figures will be better when running constant highway travel, but may increase very little around town. For long highway trips, I have changed my rear sprocket to a 38, which requires a shorter chain. Highway gas mileage improved from about 41 to 47. I have cruised at speeds up to 90 MPH by the GPS and the engine has sufficient torque to do this.

Gearing is a compromise amongst different objectives. Good luck.

If keeping stock chain for 16/26, does it matter if you get 520 or 530 sprockets? Also can one be 520 and the other 530? I found a rear sprocket i like but it is 520, and the front is 530.

I run 520 16/47 and this gearing is awesome on the FZ1. No you cant run a 520 with a 530 as it is a different pitch. If you go for a new chain & sprockets go for 520 and steel sprockets.

On my Gen II, which has 17/45 sprockets, the 17 tooth front sprocket almost touches the guard, so I doubt that you can put an 18 tooth on the front. I believe you can go -1 / +2 with stock chain, and maybe +3.

Regarding top speed, stock gearing in 6th gear does not allow the engine to reach peak power RPM. For example, it might reach 10,700, but peak power is about 11,500. So changing the front from 17 to 16, will increase the RPM just about as I have described, and the lower gear ratio increases pulling power at the rear wheel. Top speed involves pushing a terrific amount of air out of the way, which requires tremendous torque.

For gas mileage, the RPM needs to go down for any particular speed, within reason. Pulling power in any particular gear will be reduced. For higher gearing, MPG figures will be better when running constant highway travel, but may increase very little around town. For long highway trips, I have changed my rear sprocket to a 38, which requires a shorter chain. Highway gas mileage improved from about 41 to 47. I have cruised at speeds up to 90 MPH by the GPS and the engine has sufficient torque to do this.

Gearing is a compromise amongst different objectives. Good luck.

Well I will soon find out on Friday .has anyone else put a 18 tooth on the front sprocket ?

Chain and Sprocket Size Designations

The first number of a chain designation tells the pitch of the chain, in 8ths of an inch. The pitch is the spacing from pin to pin centers for the chain, as measured down the length of the chain. A 520 or 530 chain each have 5/8" for each link. A 630 chain has a 3/4" pitch (6/8ths).

The second and third digits represent the inside width between the side links of the chain, in 8ths of an inch. For example, a 530 chain has 3/8" inside the links when measured side to side.

The designation for sprockets is similar. A 530 sprocket is made for 5/8" pitch, and is 3/8" thick across the width of each tooth. A 520 sprocket will have teeth that are only 1/4" thick. The 520 chain is lighter in weight, but the 1/4" sprocket teeth will not last as long as a 3/8" or 530. Therefore a 520 chain cannot be used with 530 sprockets. A 530 chain could be used with 520 sprockets, but would not be advisable since there would be an extra 1/8" for the chain to move side to side.

Hope this helps.

Ive been running 520 for 15,000+ Km with no probs = sprockets looks as good as the day i put them on, all my mate with superbikes run 520, all the race bikes run 520. A 520 setup will give you better drive as you have less mass rotating.

Back