06 TPS adjustment.

So.........I went for a ride the other day and ended up being fairly annoyed with the throttle snatch problem that plague these bikes. I have read about adjusting the TPS using the dash board computer to set it. So I removed the tank and air box loosened the screws on the primary TPS and set it from 16 to 18 Then I moved the secondary TPS the same amount in the same direction.

After riding around a little bit It appears to have made a big improvement. I'll know better after a visit to the local twisties.

Has anyone else done this ? Just wondering how it compares to a bike with Ivan's box and a power-commander.

I did this very thing way back in 07 on my 06 model, as well as added a G2 Throttle Tamer, plus I removed of ALL of the throttle slack. I've been happy with mine, but can't make a comparison with an 06 that's had an FCE installed.

-Roger

To set the throttle position sensor the first thing you need to do is check where yours is set from the factory it should be in the 15 to 18 range. (if it is already set at 18 you're good to go) To Check the TPS......

1. Key off. Kill switch on.

2 Press and hold the select and reset buttons on the dash and turn the key on. Continue to hold the buttons for 10 seconds. You should see this in the display: d1

3. Press and hold the buttons again for 2 seconds then you should see : d:01______16
(It may read 15, 16, 17 or higher) Mine was set at 16.

With the computer set in this mode you can now set the TPS . Loosen the screws and adjust the primary TPS until the display reads 18 then re-tighten the screws. Then move the secondary TPS the same ammount in the same direction. These are VERY fine adjustments. When you move the secondary TPS the number on the display will not move.

You have to remove the tank, air filter and air box. (I left the fuel lines connected)

The primary TPS is on the left. The screws are Torx security screws (the ones with the little tit in the middle) The bottom screw is hard to get at and they are TIGHT.

The secondary TPS sits on the right and higher up than the primary TPS it is much easier to get at.

After riding with it set like this I think it's well worth the effort. Good luck !!

Would the idle speed have any influance on the figures ? Only i have my idle set at 1250 and wondered if it should be backed off before making adjustments .

I did this a long time ago but it wasn't for the snatch, it was for surging in the 3k - 4k RPM range. Turned out mine was set out of spec a little at 14 so I bumped it to 18.

The one you set is the actual TPS. The secondary controls the flies. If you have no flies, modded flies or zip-tied flies, you need not bother with setting the secondary because it will not make any difference.

TPS position pics

Can some1 pls post pics of where TPS is situated (not technically minded):doh2:would like to make changes as even with a PC V,still getting some throttle snatch

thx kindly

Ne quid nimis (nothing in excess)

07 FZ1 (pc V)

Can some1 pls post pics of where TPS is situated (not technically minded):doh2:would like to make changes as even with a PC V,still getting some throttle snatch

thx kindly

Ne quid nimis (nothing in excess)

07 FZ1 (pc V)

Without an FCE from Ivan, you will always have throttle snatch. This doesn't eliminate it, it just feels like it reduces the impact of the fuel cut. I just don't want you to believe this cures that issue. ;)

just attacked mine and found the throttle cable at breaking point , so now awaiting new one :doh2:

Here we go , cable arrived , if i ever have to fit another one it will be too soon !!! what a pita :frown: this may have been the reason i seemed to be forever adjusting throttle cable free play . any way that done my TPS was set at 16 and WOW those adjustments are very fine !! so now set at 18 we will see how she fairs at the weekend . will keep you posted

well got out to day and wow what a big improvement !!! I can live with this now , well worth doing , Big thanks to zipidadoo for the info :cloud9:

i dug into mine, but haven't gotten quite that far yet...maybe tonight or tom. night... Won't get to ride it for a few days tho', maybe not until next week... :( too busy doing other mods :) keep an eye open for install posts...

i dug into mine, but haven't gotten quite that far yet...maybe tonight or tom. night... Won't get to ride it for a few days tho', maybe not until next week... :( too busy doing other mods :) keep an eye open for install posts...

keep us posted , be interested to hear your views :tup:

keep us posted , be interested to hear your views :tup:

Sorry, but I won't end up having any views on this specifically due to the number of changes being made...
AIS removal
new slip-on
K&N
airbox mod
TPS adjustment
Throttlebody sync
PCIII
mod flies
other stuff not engine related...Busy week :evillaugh:

Sorry, but I won't end up having any views on this specifically due to the number of changes being made...
AIS removal
new slip-on
K&N
airbox mod
TPS adjustment
Throttlebody sync
PCIII
mod flies
other stuff not engine related...Busy week :evillaugh:

Adjusted last night, and it was at 15! Can't wait to get it finished and ride it!

I would add to these instructions:
before adjusting, use a razor blade or similar to scribe a line from teh housing to the sensor so you can see just how much you moved it.

Mine had the factory paint, and i figured I'd move it enough to see the difference, but couldn't, so the 2nd one is a guess since it doens't give the readout... I'm going to go through my service manual tonight (recently got) and see if there's any way to get a readout for the 2nd one...

Airbox, K&N, sync, and PCIII about all that's left, then just have to adjust suspension and PCIII.

TPS Throttle Position Sensor Adjustment Video

I adjusted TPS from 17 to 18 and then thought I'd shoot a quit video (9 minutes quick) showing what I did.

The Torx bit used is a T25 with the security hole in the center of it.

Loosen the sensor screws, set it and tighten it, then double check by moving the throttle a couple times. As you can see in the video I was on the high side of 18 so when I tightened it the first time it would settle at 19 so I had to readjust it to settle at 18.

The manual calls for setting between 15-18, as I think was mentioned before.

Hope this helps.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR6X9yBxkqU]2007 FZ-1 Throttle Position Sensor Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]

i wonder why the service manual tells you to do it by voltage intead of just setting the numbers like this? This sure is simpler, and requires no special tools, besides the security torx bit...

i did get a chance to fire it up, and can't wait to ride it. TB's were WAY out of sync, so i really can't say exactly what change this in particular adjustment made...

Back