More fun with Harleys

I took the C14 from Port St. Lucie to Estero, 300 miles round trip to visit my goos friend Ed (Helix owner that graciously lent it to me for the summer for Jake to learn to ride. I covered all kinds of roads but 90% was two way with broken yellow passing regions much of the way. I kept a brisk pace, as you would have guessed. It seemed like the whole state of Florida is filled with Harleys.

Sooo, I'm movin' along and come to my first badass Harley guy: shorts hairy legs and arms, long hair, unruly beard, and even sporting the very much desired option of tattoos. Now normally when I come up to another single rider I let the guy/woman in front choose a car tire track and I take the other so that together we have a staggered formation, just as if we had started the ride together. Most times the bikers seem to follow this unspoken custom. Now this guy is riding 5 feet behind a small car and bobbing back and forth looking for his chance to pass. He also keeps changing positions from outside to inside and I get tired of switching so I take my favored position close to the yellow line.

5 minutes elapse with a failure to launch, presumably because his bike doesn't have the guts with the small spaces provided by the oncoming traffic. So I drop down 2 gears from overdrive to 4th. The front end of Optimus Prime lightens and we blast past the Harley and the car in what must have been two and a half seconds or less. The Harley rider and car become a blur and when I finally see him passing the car a half mile behind me and I could actually hear the beast and watched as it took him a good 7-10 seconds to get by and barely made it back in his lane before the oncoming cars closed the gap.

A little later a decent appearing 60ish man on a small Harley is doing about 55 in a 65 MPH zone. Naturally I'm going a bit faster than that. He glances in his mirror and sees me closing the gap rapidly and practically thrusts his bike nearly onto the shoulder, as if I'm going to ride over him. I move to the opposing traffic lane and pass him. I don't pass strangers in the same lane. My friends and I do this sometimes when we're fooling around but I don't think it's right otherwise.

And finally, on the ride home A Harley dude on a bigass Cruiser with bigass noisy as heck pipes pulls out not far in front of me. He checks his mirror and decides he won't let me pass him. Problem is he didn't discuss that plan with me. The wild thing roared his terrible roar and gnashed his terrible teeth and rolled his terrible eyes and showed his terrible claws but Optimus Prime was not intimidated. I dropped one gear and passed him so fast he gave up immediately. Silly Harley. Tricks are for...well anything but a Harley I guess.

Watch out for the ones with lots of tattoos and leather vests. When i moved down to Florida from Pennsylvania i was warned by a Floridian that some of the "harley riders" are dangerous. Now from what ive seen on a history channel special (about florida biker gangs) and what ive heard from locals, I pass with care.

That's good stuff Norm! I can deal with Hardley riders but I cannot deal with the ones that look down their noses because I "didn't buy American." Up here, they are not so bad ('cept for the bunch on the Kanc last fall! Hahaha!) and they will typically just ignore us. In all my trips to FL, I've found that the big cities are where the sport bikes are and the outlying areas are all HD. But from Melbourne to Daytona, it seems it is ALL HD. That is my perception anyway.

For what you've described here are many of the reasons I will not buy a HD. Noisy poor performing expensive vibrators. Give me high-tech Japanese precision equipment and we'll ride circles around them, and a LOT more circles too because we're not in the garage that often!

Only if a Harley was the last option of two wheels available would I ride own one. Next week, we'll leave them all spitting dust! :tup:

Watch out for the ones with lots of tattoos and leather vests. When i moved down to Florida from Pennsylvania i was warned by a Floridian that some of the "harley riders" are dangerous. Now from what ive seen on a history channel special (about florida biker gangs) and what ive heard from locals, I pass with care.

They're only dangerous if they can catch you. Good luck with that! ;)

Nice job Norm!!!
I think you did just right!

I passed a Harley guy going down to Austin. LOL The dude was going about 75mph and passed him going about 85mph. I was going 85 no matter what Harley guy did and didn't really think twice about it because I was going a constant speed.
LOL
Pretty soon I hear this Fat Boy ROARING behind me and he passes me. I turned to look at him like "Really?". His staredown was all the confirmation that I needed. LOL I honestly didn't even think this was a contest so I didn't respond LOL
It got under my skin a little but I was reasoning that although I like Fat Boys OK - it wouldn't have even been close.......As I was pondering :) Fat Boy decided to slow down and pace himself beside me. He looked over at me, stared me down and started to goose his throttle back and forth. HAHAHA! I wish he could have seen me smile (had a full helmet on).
I timed it to where he was decelerating back to me and I HIT IT!!!! I shot passed him and hit 120mph before I checked my mirrors. LOL I heard the Fat Boy roar but all I saw was a dot in my mirror that kept getting smaller. I guess he was not comfortable in triple digits.
LOL
I just don't understand "some" Harely guys. I have owned 2 Harleys in my life but when they see me driving a Yamaha - they catch an attitude. :confused0024:

Last edited:
Nice job. It's sad that there are Harley riders out there that think their bikes actually have a performance aspect to them. I'm not a fan in any way, but if that's what they like, so be it. I'm sure there are some V-twins out there that can out torque a sportbike off the line, but after about 30mph it would seem like a loosing battle on their end.

Was he wearing a helmet? (I don't even know if FL has a helmet law, IL doesn't, and many HD riders don't wear helmets here. I figure they have a date with Darwin!)

Edit: I expect some video of the next HD spanking! :p

Was he wearing a helmet? (I don't even know if FL has a helmet law, IL doesn't, and many HD riders don't wear helmets here. I figure they have a date with Darwin!)

The law is if you are under 21 you must wear a helmet (they also give you a "special" plate if youre under 21.) If you are over 21 and you have a certain amount of insurance coverage you can go without a helmet. Thats the way I understand it. I dont feel comfortable without a helmet.

Being a long time Florida rider, yes it is true that many of the better roads get clogged by the Harley-Hessians. And yes, some of them are not to be f@#ked with. The Warlocks and Outlaws are two gangs that exist and they are genuine, grade-A scum of the earth. But it's not so much the older ones- they are the real gangsters and haved learned to "lay-low" and get on with the business (of distribution, shall we say). It's the younger set that have something to prove (besides the obvious, which is being an inferiority-complex riddled looser). It's not like if you see these types on the road they will do anything to kick your rear, you just need to mind your business and carry on (which on a sport bike, is simple enough to do quickly). Rant over :nana:

But yes, me and many of my friends have had some great times at the expense of the ego's of these types. One of my favorite stories comes from a time that we were cruising around the Ocala Forest. We are going straight, and these guys were at the intersection about to turn right. They see us approaching, and at the last minute turn right in front of us (tough guy b.s.) They are on custom choppers with huge, chrome engines, I'm guessing 1500cc or better. We start to ease our way around and of course, they just have to nail it. So we continue to pass. I look to my right as I come up on the lead guy... the wind is making his cheeks flap like an old flag in a hurricane!!! He's gritting his teeth, and looking quite angry as he wrenches all 70 HP from his archaic bad-boy machine. Even the 600's in the group overtake. Once everyone is around, they just back right off, I'm guessing that the teeth-rattling vibrations act as a "rev-limiter" of sorts.

And then, there is Bike Week. I avoid main street like the plague.

Last edited:
I ride with a cat who is pretty cool despite his portable oil puddle generator. The first time he was out with me he said "You might have a bit of an edge in the turns, but my 1200 will kill you going straight (I ride an FZ6R) no matter what." I let him lead all morning, and kept my mouth shut. We got to a very long straight, and I couldn't resist. I gently pulled up beside him in 3rd (doing 100kph) and waited for the noise. As I heard him drop a gear and hit it hard, I eased it to redline in 3rd, pacing him as closely as I could. As soon as I grabbed 4th, I pinned the throttle and disappeared. By the time I grabbed the brakes for the turn at the end of the straight, the first number on my speedometer was a 2, and he was waaay back. I easily dove in to the turn at a nice speed. After that I slowed up and let him catch me. At the next gas stop, he couldn't say enough about how impressed he was with "that pisscutter Jap bike." He told me his Harley would only pull about 150kph tapped right out! I felt pretty good about saving his soul. I am planning on trading for an FZ1 and doing the Euro naked conversion before spring. My next target is a buddy of mine who rides a Buell. Hopefully I can make him see the light too.

I traded my FZ6R for a new 2009 FZ1 less than a month ago. You will be pleased. It is everything my 6R was with twice the hp and a more solid feel. I love it except it has less that 1000 miles so I don't really ride it very hard.

Billy

I ride with a cat who is pretty cool despite his portable oil puddle generator. The first time he was out with me he said "You might have a bit of an edge in the turns, but my 1200 will kill you going straight (I ride an FZ6R) no matter what." I let him lead all morning, and kept my mouth shut. We got to a very long straight, and I couldn't resist. I gently pulled up beside him in 3rd (doing 100kph) and waited for the noise. As I heard him drop a gear and hit it hard, I eased it to redline in 3rd, pacing him as closely as I could. As soon as I grabbed 4th, I pinned the throttle and disappeared. By the time I grabbed the brakes for the turn at the end of the straight, the first number on my speedometer was a 2, and he was waaay back. I easily dove in to the turn at a nice speed. After that I slowed up and let him catch me. At the next gas stop, he couldn't say enough about how impressed he was with "that pisscutter Jap bike." He told me his Harley would only pull about 150kph tapped right out! I felt pretty good about saving his soul. I am planning on trading for an FZ1 and doing the Euro naked conversion before spring. My next target is a buddy of mine who rides a Buell. Hopefully I can make him see the light too.

Wow, he can't hit 100 mph? (150kph=93mph) What color is your FZ6R? (I've heard the blue ones are faster, just like the FZ1's). I think the FZ6R's top out about 130-135 mph. (200kph=124mph)

I find it funny how a 900 and below are small, 1200's are mid-range and the 1800's are the big bikes in V-twin cruiser land. So much weight, so little power. Seems the only thing they have a lot of is shake, and for some reason that is perceived as good? If someone likes the style, sound, shake, etc., that's fine with me, but when they think they are fast, it just makes me laugh. :nono: Keep up the education. You'll be amazed at the difference between the FZ6R and the FZ1. Nothing wrong with the FZ6R, but the FZ1 is only listed at 17lbs heaver than the FZ6R with loads more power. (I think the stock exhaust is over 17lbs :))

He can't even hit 100mph. He told me he can't even really cruise over 110kph (65 or so mph) because it shakes too much. My FZ6R is white with red graphics and seat and gold wheels. It's a really sharp bike. I've seen 212kph indicated, but I have no idea what the real speed is/how far off my speedo is. I'm confident there is no way I could make that bike go any faster, though. I was tucked right in, WOT for a good sustained period and the speedo was flashing back and forth between 211 and 212. It truly is amazing how stable the bike is at that speed. I really can't wait to get my FZ1 deal closed and get it broken in. It's going to be a blast! (BTW, the white and red ones are the fastest.)

I'm guessing that the teeth-rattling vibrations act as a "rev-limiter" of sorts.

These are all great stories above but this one almost made me spit up the bottled water I was drinking as I read it. I'll have to remember it. I may even try to pass it off as my own original thought, lol.

BTW, that FZ6R is an awesome bike. One of my best friends just bought Michele's FZ6R. If you move to the FZ1 you'll retain all the good stuff with the addition of an extra helping of whoop-ass.

The local HD dealer was selling tix for the motorcycle show so I decided to stop in with a friend of mine and grab some. He has an old '86 VFR750 which is maybe one of the best sounding motors I've ever heard (and made over 100hp in 1986!), and my SV650 which also sounds pretty damn good.

Of course when we rolled in we got the staredown from everyone there. Naturally, they didn't ride their bikes but opted to dress in all the best Harley-Davidson apparel they had and hopped out of their Harley-edition F-150s to give us the evil eye. Some guys even made wisecracks about our 'little' bikes and the noises

I've never really been mocked about a motorbike by someone who actually meant it, it was very strange.

Last edited:
The local HD dealer was selling tix for the motorcycle show so I decided to stop in with a friend of mine and grab some. He has an old '86 VFR750 which is maybe one of the best sounding motors I've ever heard (and made over 100hp in 1986!), and my SV650 which also sounds pretty damn good.

Of course when we rolled in we got the staredown from everyone there. Naturally, they didn't ride their bikes but opted to dress in all the best Harley-Davidson apparel they had and hopped out of their Harley-edition F-150s to give us the evil eye. Some guys even made wisecracks about our 'little' bikes and the noises

I've never really been mocked about a motorbike by someone who actually meant it, it was very strange.

Man Dustin, I didn't know that B.C. was so rough and tumble. I have to say that in all my years of riding in a city that has a reputation for rudeness, I've never had any remarks, stares, or anything else, from any Harley riders. Even up at bike night I'd say that the majority of the bikers roll in on Harleys and they all are quite courteous. I'm sorry you had such a bad time. Just remember not to classify all people like that as a whole. Not all guys on Harleys are like that.

I don't really let people like that bother me, it's mostly just funny to see people so brainwashed by a brand that they forget their manners :)

Man Dustin, I didn't know that B.C. was so rough and tumble. I have to say that in all my years of riding in a city that has a reputation for rudeness, I've never had any remarks, stares, or anything else, from any Harley riders. Even up at bike night I'd say that the majority of the bikers roll in on Harleys and they all are quite courteous. I'm sorry you had such a bad time. Just remember not to classify all people like that as a whole. Not all guys on Harleys are like that.

Billy, you're spot on about New York City. It has a bad reputation that is undeserved. I have found the people there to be very friendly. Of course I grew up there and went to Med School there so I'm partial to New York. I can wear any sports teams cap I want and nobody says a word. Wear anything but a Red Sox or Patriots cap in Massachusetts and you might think it says "I hate you" on the cap for the way they treat you.

Guaranteed I wear my Yankees cap for the day and I'll get several rude comments, most of which is "YANKEES SUCK." Also remember the story I wrote about the fellowship of bikers where my friend and I had pulled over for a break and he was checking some wiring in the front and undercarriage area and a bigass city utility vehicle pulled over to see if we needed help. That was in Yonkers, off the Saw Mill Parkway.

I don't really let people like that bother me, it's mostly just funny to see people so brainwashed by a brand that they forget their manners :)

The mechanic at work is a dyed in the wool Harley guy. Totally runs down everthing but Harleys. The boss has one as well but he doesn't have the attitude. I rode with them once when I was riding my FZ 600 and totally embarrased them when they tried to race me. They stand around checking out the FZ-1 when I bring it to work, but don't have much to say.

When the mechanic jokes about my bikes I just smile. I ride to work 7 or 8 months of the year, every day. He rides 4 months maybe 3 days a week, goes to the bar with it alot. Not my style. Each to their own.

It is hard not to show off the awesome power of a bike like the FZ or Connie' when you catch a much slower rider on a cruiser. Power corrupts as they say. Glad you are having fun Norm, you GO!

The mechanic at work is a dyed in the wool Harley guy. Totally runs down everthing but Harleys. The boss has one as well but he doesn't have the attitude. I rode with them once when I was riding my FZ 600 and totally embarrased them when they tried to race me. They stand around checking out the FZ-1 when I bring it to work, but don't have much to say.

When the mechanic jokes about my bikes I just smile. I ride to work 7 or 8 months of the year, every day. He rides 4 months maybe 3 days a week, goes to the bar with it alot. Not my style. Each to their own.

It is hard not to show off the awesome power of a bike like the FZ or Connie' when you catch a much slower rider on a cruiser. Power corrupts as they say. Glad you are having fun Norm, you GO!

Thank you my friend. I like that saying too. I believe it goes: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely" and you're right, bikes like the FZ1 and the C14 fit that bill.

Back