High octane gas

firefly

Just to give it a try I filled this time with 91 octane gas vs the 87 I usually use, well the bike noticeably run like Sh**, can't wait to burn this tank up.

It should not run any worse, either, unless there is some water in the new gas. Might be something else making it run a bit off from before the new gas, too.

:)

Yeah, high octane gas burns slower - to accommodate higher compression engines that need it -- to avoid "knocking". It does not have more energy as many think. It just burns slower.
So the bikes burn patterns inside the combustion chambers are changed using the slower burning stuff. Changed - and not for the better.

I don't know about other countries, but in Canada there is up to 10% ethanol in regular gas, and none in premium. I have not noticed any difference in how my bike (Gen II) runs with either fuel, but I don't much like the ethanol. If my bike is going to be sitting I fill it with premium, but I will run regular on trips as long as I know I will run the tank out before I park.

The ethanol laced gas contains a little less energy, Equal volumes of both - gasoline contains more energy. So you will actually have a little less power - that you are not noticing because your machine has so much to begin with. You'll also get a little poorer gas mileage - for the same reason - less energy per gallon in ethanol.

Not even the energy that I worry about, it's that ethanol rots fuel systems.

Here in BC, we have a fuel provider that has been putting ethanol in all their grades of fuel for as long as I can remember. Decades. You would think billions of litres of fuel have cycled through the fuel systems of millions of different vehicles and there would be some negative press about it after all that time. Only now that it's compulsory has there been any hubbub.

Makes you wonder

markowinnipeg,
Did the mods from Ivan alter ignition timing or change the engines compression ratio??? Certainly a Jet kit and an exhaust pipe should have no effect on the octane requirements of your bike. . .

On the East coast of the US (and probably for much of the US) it is nearly impossible to find street gas without ethanol in it, regardless of octane. Gas mileage definitely suffers a bit with 10% E. The stock FZ1 is designed to run on 87 octane gas so unless you like wasting money, there is no reason to use anything else.
That said, my particular setup uses the Dynojet ignition module to alter ignition timing from stock and according to Ivan (whose ignition "map" it is) is optimized for mid grade gas.

Last edited:
Finally finished the 91 octane gas tank, I'll never do it again, 87 octane is just all that's needed for a stock gen on or even jetted ones, the only thing I noticed is I got a little better gas mileage vs 87 but the bike ran sluggish with more engine vibration & less responsiveness.

I have never run anything other than 93 and never had an issue. All of our fuel has 10% corn juice. My guess here is the people that have tried Premium with poor results are chasing other issues. Are you guys still running the stock o2 sensors?

Beast

Interesting posts. I've always run 98 octane and my 09 N model runs perfect. The manual supplied states 91 octane or higher - premium if there is any "pinging". Here in Australia, we have 91, 95 and 98 octane. Never heard of 87. No ethanol goes in my bike. Most riders and drivers I know won't use it - bad press founded or not, don't care. The FZ 1 runs 11.5:1 compression so is premium 98 going to make it run badly? Not mine!! An extract from Australian Road Rider....................Cheers.

"All Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Piaggio and Yamaha motorcycles are NOT suitable for E10 fuel. So, if you live in NSW, or will be travelling through NSW, beware of what pump you pick up. Many service stations have already changed over and are pretty well marked but still look carefully and ask the service station attendant if you’re unsure.

E10 fuel contains more oxygen than standard unleaded, which makes the air/fuel ratio leaner, therefore the oxygen sensor will compensate for this by richening the fuel mixture causing fuel consumption to go up by about 3 per cent.

Another bad thing with ethanol is that it absorbs water. If too much water is present, the ethanol and fuel can separate which is called “phase separation”. Pure ethanol on its own will cause damage to the fuel system, which is not a good thing. Ethanol can also damage fibreglass fuel tanks, so do not use E10 if you have one.

The actual effectiveness of current grade of fuels available can vary depending on how “fresh” they are. Standard unleaded can range from 91-93 octane, 95 premium can vary from 95-96 octane and the 98 premium can vary from 98-100 octane. E10 is 94 octane. If your motorcycle is suitably tuned, you can buy Racing 100 from authorised outlets, which has a variance in octane from 105-115. The 95 octane fuel is the standard fuel used in Europe and the USA. Expect this to be a fuel of the future.

If your motorcycle has a high compression ratio, as most bikes do these days, you may be interested to know that the higher the octane the fuel, the better your engine will perform. The highest compression ratio the fuels now available (excluding Racing 100) can handle is 10.5:1.":smoking:

Interesting posts. I've always run 98 octane and my 09 N model runs perfect. The manual supplied states 91 octane or higher - premium if there is any "pinging". Here in Australia, we have 91, 95 and 98 octane. Never heard of 87. No ethanol goes in my bike. Most riders and drivers I know won't use it - bad press founded or not, don't care. The FZ 1 runs 11.5:1 compression so is premium 98 going to make it run badly? Not mine!! An extract from Australian Road Rider....................Cheers.

"All Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Piaggio and Yamaha motorcycles are NOT suitable for E10 fuel. So, if you live in NSW, or will be travelling through NSW, beware of what pump you pick up. Many service stations have already changed over and are pretty well marked but still look carefully and ask the service station attendant if you’re unsure.

E10 fuel contains more oxygen than standard unleaded, which makes the air/fuel ratio leaner, therefore the oxygen sensor will compensate for this by richening the fuel mixture causing fuel consumption to go up by about 3 per cent.

Another bad thing with ethanol is that it absorbs water. If too much water is present, the ethanol and fuel can separate which is called “phase separation”. Pure ethanol on its own will cause damage to the fuel system, which is not a good thing. Ethanol can also damage fibreglass fuel tanks, so do not use E10 if you have one.

The actual effectiveness of current grade of fuels available can vary depending on how “fresh” they are. Standard unleaded can range from 91-93 octane, 95 premium can vary from 95-96 octane and the 98 premium can vary from 98-100 octane. E10 is 94 octane. If your motorcycle is suitably tuned, you can buy Racing 100 from authorised outlets, which has a variance in octane from 105-115. The 95 octane fuel is the standard fuel used in Europe and the USA. Expect this to be a fuel of the future.

If your motorcycle has a high compression ratio, as most bikes do these days, you may be interested to know that the higher the octane the fuel, the better your engine will perform. The highest compression ratio the fuels now available (excluding Racing 100) can handle is 10.5:1.":smoking:
I am with you,on this one

markowinnipeg,
Did the mods from Ivan alter ignition timing or change the engines compression ratio??? Certainly a Jet kit and an exhaust pipe should have no effect on the octane requirements of your bike. . .

On the East coast of the US (and probably for much of the US) it is nearly impossible to find street gas without ethanol in it, regardless of octane. Gas mileage definitely suffers a bit with 10% E. The stock FZ1 is designed to run on 87 octane gas so unless you like wasting money, there is no reason to use anything else.
That said, my particular setup uses the Dynojet ignition module to alter ignition timing from stock and according to Ivan (whose ignition "map" it is) is optimized for mid grade gas.

after thinking back i recall filling up with premium when i first got the bike, before the new jets. it ran awful then too, so just thinking my moto no likey premium.

Back