FZ1 All Round??

Hi all i'm currently bike less!!! Just sold off my 08 Trumpet st 2 days ago and before having that started on an sv650s, but been on dirt bikes all my life. Just after a bit of info on the FZ1's, i'm stuck on them very badly after looking at most of the rides on here! love the look very stunning but need to know how comfortable it is for the ride and pillion, is it suitable for long trips. i already know it would be great in the twisties by looking at but i still dont mind hearing how fun it is ; ) i would go and test ride one my self but closest one is 5-6 hrs away. i will most likely go anyway but thought id get some info to start me off..

thanks Jm, thought the stock seat looked a tad thin, i'm a boney little bugger to id prob need a cushion! The youngen looks pretty keen to ride!

Last edited:
Actually I don't mind the seat......I've riden from Syd to Port Mac and back over two days and my arse was fine! Having said that the boss tells me the pillion seat is only ok for short day rides. They are a great bike!

I just recently got rid of my 02 sprint st for an 02 fz1, and with the corbin seat, I've never looked back or missed trudy. The riding position is perfect for me, the gear box is buttery smooth, and it handles amazing.

I just recently got rid of my 02 sprint st for an 02 fz1, and with the corbin seat, I've never looked back or missed trudy. The riding position is perfect for me, the gear box is buttery smooth, and it handles amazing.

I want the corbin seats, front and rear, and the backrest for the rear seat, my 8 year old rides with me some and just like the added safety for him with the backrest, since he can't reach around and hold onto me that good. Don't understand why just the backrest is 229 dollars though. looking at 700 for the complete set.

Hi all i'm currently bike less!!! Just sold off my 08 Trumpet st 2 days ago and before having that started on an sv650s, but been on dirt bikes all my life. Just after a bit of info on the FZ1's, i'm stuck on them very badly after looking at most of the rides on here! love the look very stunning but need to know how comfortable it is for the ride and pillion, is it suitable for long trips. i already know it would be great in the twisties by looking at but i still dont mind hearing how fun it is ; ) i would go and test ride one my self but closest one is 5-6 hrs away. i will most likely go anyway but thought id get some info to start me off..

For longer trips and a pillion the Gen I will be more comfortable than the Gen II IMHO. Not sure what you had in mind, but only way to know for sure would be to test ride one. Wish there was one closer to you...

Take one for a ride 1st if you can , I test rode a s/h 08 model from a dealer , after trying a bandit and was impressed , then test rode a modded 06 one.

The difference between the 2 was amazing. So I picked the older one for less than half the price of a new one.

I ride everyday just about , 400-500 klms a week , and so far seems comfortable even without the fairing is fine up to 120 kph or so , depending on wind direction.

But then again I had a Duc sport classic 1000s for the last 4 1/2 years , so anything seems more comfy.

Fuel range isnt great either 180 -190 klms a tank , but thats the price I pay for fun.

Anyone looking for a serious sport bike that you can afford will be happy with a FZ1 because although it's got a more upright seating position, it's meant for the guy or gal who wants to put the machine just about to it's, and their own limits. I have toured on mine solo, from Michigan to California and back in about 12 days, staying at my destination for three days in the middle. My goal was 600 miles a day every day ad I did it. By the time I got back my rear end was telling me to let the bike sit for a while. Some riders think it can be a "real" tourer but it can't and that's not what it was meant for. Thank the good Lord you need to stop for fuel about every two hours so your but can return to it's normal contour. If I was to purchase a bike specifically for long distance work, I'd be looking elsewhere. If you want a really fun and capable bike in the tight stuff,the FZ1 is hard to beat.

Last edited:
While the Gen 2 may not be a fantastic tourer, the Gen 1 FZ1 is certainly much more of a tourer so consider that when shopping for one.

My Gen 1 was more than comfortable enough to go 600 or more miles a day and with the larger tank than a Gen 2, I went 200 miles between fills. Coupled with a full Givi luggage set up, it was a pretty awesome sport tourer

I think that the FZ1 is a great all around bike. I've put 500 miles in a day on it as well as use it for my everyday commute. I'm 6' 5" and 340lbs and I was a little stiff after the long rides, but I'm able to stand or sit on the back seat to stretch out. Longest I've done with the pillion was only about 130 miles and it wasn't terrible, but I don't plan on doing 500 mile rides with her. That being said, I love the power and the ability to drive all day on it.

Thanks everyone for the advice and info it's very helpfull. Seems quiet tricky to find a bike thats light and sporty to throw around a bit in the twistys but then also use it for the 5-7 hr 5 day long trips i might do twice a year, and throw the lady friend on the back every now and then for a short one. Seems like the FZ nearly ticks all the boxes... depending on your build and the generation. i'll have to take one for a ride.

Thanks everyone for the advice and info it's very helpfull. Seems quiet tricky to find a bike thats light and sporty to throw around a bit in the twistys but then also use it for the 5-7 hr 5 day long trips i might do twice a year, and throw the lady friend on the back every now and then for a short one. Seems like the FZ nearly ticks all the boxes... depending on your build and the generation. i'll have to take one for a ride.

Gen 1 FZ1 would do the job and then some :)

I used to have a 2007 FZ1N but now have a KTM Super Duke.
The fz was a great bike great power handled really well good riding position and really good on fuel. Would I buy another one ? YES!
I have owned over 20 bikes and I cant say one bad thing about the FZ except if you ride hard I would put a better rear shock on there and take the hero knobs off the foot pegs but that's it. Get one you will love it :yes: If you get a Genesis II model make sure you get from 2007 up wards as the older model has throttle snatch from on off throttle openings.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Bender very helpful. Wish i could jump on an FZ soon and take one for a test ride, bit hard to find the time over chrissy to travel to Coffs Harbour. Super Duke is a mean looking machine, been perving on those and allsorts the last couple of months. thanks for the tip on the Shock may come in handy soon ; )

Cheers

For longer trips and a pillion the Gen I will be more comfortable than the Gen II IMHO. Not sure what you had in mind, but only way to know for sure would be to test ride one. Wish there was one closer to you...

Incorrect. You can put those barcalounger Top Saddlery seats on the Gen2 and have all day comfort. Ask Eric, ofcourse!

I think that the FZ1 is a great all around bike. I've put 500 miles in a day on it as well as use it for my everyday commute. I'm 6' 5" and 340lbs and I was a little stiff after the long rides, but I'm able to stand or sit on the back seat to stretch out. Longest I've done with the pillion was only about 130 miles and it wasn't terrible, but I don't plan on doing 500 mile rides with her. That being said, I love the power and the ability to drive all day on it.

At that weight, almost any bike for you would require suspension reworking.

Good luck on your search. I also grew up riding dirt and my opinion is the FZ1 gen II models are hard to beat for what you indicated you will do with it. The upright riding position is quite nice, compared to the outright race/sport bikes (CBR, etc), and it's not an adventure bike (BMW GS 1200, etc) or cruiser. But I did consider others too. For me the power & torque were part of the sell for the FZ. I have also done some riding on 07 Ducati monster S4RS & still prefered the FZ, for several reasons.

As others have mentioned, best thing is to ride one. I rode multiple different bikes before this current one. I almost bought a brand new FZ this year, but got a great deal on this 07. Outstanding fun factor every ride. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice Bender very helpful. Wish i could jump on an FZ soon and take one for a test ride, bit hard to find the time over chrissy to travel to Coffs Harbour. Super Duke is a mean looking machine, been perving on those and allsorts the last couple of months. thanks for the tip on the Shock may come in handy soon ; )

Cheers

Where do you live? As for the Super Duke yes it is a great bike but it is best to do a few mods as the throttle can be snatchy on some models. It seem that with all the pollution crap they have to put on bikes these days that all European V twins have the same trouble. But with a inline 4 it is sorted as standard. I have done all the mods on mine and it goes great. But the FZ is heaps good enough in the real world even with the stock pipe.:tup:

Back