What did you do to your FZ today?

Wait a minute! I see the Givi Rack is missing and the exhaust is in place. What gives??? The bike looks great with the full fairing Tony. Oh, and I almost forgot, I was doing the carb sync yesterday and realized that I left the torque wrench over at your place. Do me a favor and hold onto it for me.

Exhaust almost fits w/o the Givi rack in place. Remember I got the quick disconnect ones so it's literary 30 seconds to remove both of them. I will have to fabricate a small bracket to move the muffler down about 1-1.5". I got your torque wrench in my car. I wasn't able to use it since it's an in/lbs one and not a ft/lbs one.

Exhaust almost fits w/o the Givi rack in place. Remember I got the quick disconnect ones so it's literary 30 seconds to remove both of them. I will have to fabricate a small bracket to move the muffler down about 1-1.5". I got your torque wrench in my car. I wasn't able to use it since it's an in/lbs one and not a ft/lbs one.

No, it's both Tony. Look at it closely. One side measures in/lbs and the other is ft/lbs. Look at the gauge on the side.

Well I decided to taker advantage of the decent weather we had here today to finish installing my full lowers and front axle sliders. Up next are the frame sliders, which should be in during the week. Next weekend it will be time to winterize the bike :(

I asked another UK member that has the Yamaha lowers about his tiny signals that replaced the stockers and he was using these; Oxford LED Eyeshot Indicators £29.99

I figured that you might like them. My dealer in Calgary stocks them (several styles) and they look good. I may try these on the back of the bike to replace the stockers there once I figure out how to hide the bolts. That would not be an issue on the front.

I asked another UK member that has the Yamaha lowers about his tiny signals that replaced the stockers and he was using these; Oxford LED Eyeshot Indicators £29.99

I figured that you might like them. My dealer in Calgary stocks them (several styles) and they look good. I may try these on the back of the bike to replace the stockers there once I figure out how to hide the bolts. That would not be an issue on the front.

Yea, I thought about replacing the stock signals, but decided to just order clear lenses for the stock ones instead. It changes the look enough and there is no easy way to change out the front signals when using the factory full fairings. I mean I'm sure it can be done, but since you have to remove the signals in order to remove the fairings. The factory ones are easy enough to remove and I don't want to complicate matters.

Last edited:
Simple is good

Yea, I thought about replacing the stock signals, but decided to just order clear lenses for the stock ones instead. It changes the look enough and there is no easy way to change out the front signals when using the factory full fairings. I mean I'm sure it can be done, but since you have to remove the signals in order to remove the fairings. The factory ones are easy enough to remove and I don't want complicate matters.

Yes simple is good, and the clear lenses will make a difference. I wonder if the new Yamaha Digitals that Ballmead installed attach the same way with the plastic clip and rubber collar?

I checked and found a link: http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/accessories/?productCode=FZS1&redirect=true

Same problem, bolt on, Oh well.

Last edited:
PIAA 500hz Horn Installed

After work Richie and I hit the garage to install the PIAA Horn. I first tested both to see which one I would use since the kit came with both the 500hz horn and the 600hz. Richie liked the 600hz but I opted for the 500hz. It had a slightly better sound for me and I want to make sure that I'm heard from now on. On the GenI the swap was simple. I unplugged the stock horn and removed the one bolt holding it in. That took all of 1 minute.
IMG_0323-1.jpg

I was now ready for the PIAA.
IMG_0324.jpg

Here it is just mocked up in place.
IMG_0325-1.jpg

Here's a shot from the top looking down.
IMG_0327.jpg

I pulled the leads about an inch through the cable tie in order for them to reach. I pulled out the tester and found the positive lead and hooked it up to the horn followed by the ground.
IMG_0328.jpg

This is what it looked like from the front of the bike.
IMG_0330.jpg

Lock to lock had no interference issues whatsoever. The whole process took just a few minutes. It took longer to remove the bolt and test for the positive lead. I'm now going to be heard both on the street and the highway which will make me feel so much safer. I highly recommend this swap. Here's a short video clip of the PIAA in action. Crank up the volume!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyUVZmGnGEs]YouTube - PIAA Horn Swap On FZ1[/ame]

I'll be looking to upgrade my horn come the Spring. Tired of "cagers" not hearing me when I beep the horn.

Question for you Billy. Was there room to mount both PIAA horns? I'm sure it'd be easy enough to wire the second horn if it fits. If so I strongly suggest that you do. Those two frequencies when used together will give you a much louder beep.

I'll be looking to upgrade my horn come the Spring. Tired of "cagers" not hearing me when I beep the horn.

Question for you Billy. Was there room to mount both PIAA horns? I'm sure it'd be easy enough to wire the second horn if it fits. If so I strongly suggest that you do. Those two frequencies when used together will give you a much louder beep.

Well, both wouldn't fit on the stock mounting point. I'm sure if I get a warmer day to sit and figure it out I could probably fab up a good location. Oh, they are definitely loud together. When I was testing them in sequence, the neighbor even came out thinking he was blocking me in! I'll have to work on it. For now, the one PIAA still puts the stock horn to shame.

That Hyperpro looks :drools: Glad you were able to pick it up ;)

Thanks friend, I owe you a cold one for finding the ebay link (under 375 to the door brand new, oh yeah!). I can't ride without the damn things, they just make life very easy, at all speeds. And it's pretty fresh looking too. BTW the screen has made life better for highway cruising too. Going mod-crazy is putting me in the poor-house, but hey life is short and good deals don't stick around forever :cool:.

Looked at her longingly, under the cover, as I passed her in the Garage. Glanced at the heart monitor that was one solid and one flashing green light telling me all was good with the slumbering beauty. Then took the cage across the crap icy roads to the toy store to look at goodies for her. It's going to be a looong Winter (nashing of teeth)Arg!:banghead:

winter.jpg

Last edited:
Today I picked up a new pair of riding gloves for the summer and my National Cycle giaganto windscreen for the FZ1. I've installed it but not tried it out yet as it's been cold and wet so the roads are sheets of ice...

Fingers crossed for a mild day tomorrow so I can leave my girlfriend's and go home. I can't wait to try out the new screen, it's humongous

Today I picked up a new pair of riding gloves for the summer and my National Cycle giaganto windscreen for the FZ1. I've installed it but not tried it out yet as it's been cold and wet so the roads are sheets of ice...

Fingers crossed for a mild day tomorrow so I can leave my girlfriend's and go home. I can't wait to try out the new screen, it's humongous

Don't tease snap a picture of this "Humongous screen":eek5:

Here it is!

I am pretty pleased with it so far, it certainly changes your perception of speed, I caught myself travelling much quicker on the highway than I normally do; not sure if that's a good thing or not.

It certainly keeps the winter cold off my body, I'm not 100% certain I like it yet but we'll see in a month's time

I'm noticing that while the wind DOES hit me in the face now instead of the body, it does seem quieter and not really much louder. I've also noticed I cannot hear the motor as much as before, interesting.

Last edited:
After work Richie and I hit the garage to install the PIAA Horn. I first tested both to see which one I would use since the kit came with both the 500hz horn and the 600hz.

Looks good Billy! Thanks for the pics and short video. :tup:

I am going to figure out a way to get both under the cowling. Supposedly, with both tones, they work together to better penetrate automobile glass. But, since you only mounted one, you did well choosing the 500 Hz because that is what PIAA recommends and sells as the single horn for motorcycles.

On my bike, it will be a tight fit but fairly easy to fab something up. On her bike, it will be a tighter fit and a PITA with the full fairing which are a PAIN to remove on the FZ6R but I'll figure it out.

So, yesterday, the bikes for moved to their resting places in the garage after a MASSIVE cleaning in there. I got the two bikes plugged in but have to go get the gas can filled to top them off with Stabil'd fuel. I added Stabil to them and ran them for about 5 minutes each to be sure it was throughout the system. I still have to go back out with the key to the C3 scooter and get that one plugged in and Stabil'ized.

It was a SAD day..... :(

It was a balmy 38.7 degrees today when i took a short ride to test my diy heated clothing controller and new helmet. It wouldn't've been so bad if it wasn't "blustery" too. A beautiful day none the less.

New Helmet:
GEDC0027.JPG

GEDC0024.JPG

GEDC0026.JPG

Controller and glove setup:
GEDC0012.JPG

Back