What did you do to your FZ today?

What did I do to mine? Well, I rode it for the first time.... after a month of just trying to get the loan on it figured out :kuku:.I've never gone through such hell to buy a bike... but anyways...

So far so good! though not perfect yet. The stock Dun-flops have got to go. Got a set of new Pilot powers ready, I think this is going to make a big difference. The suspension was waaay to soft also, before it got dark I played with the dials a bit and it's better, but still too soft and too quick to rebound. More pre-load F/R and some more dialing should get it in the ballpark. A better rear shock may be a first personal upgrade.Or a Racetech treatment. Power is good, it has the AB mod and slip done already. Throttle is a little snatchy... perhaps mine could benefit from a FCE??? As far as overall motor performance go's it is plenty strong, I've yet to get it past 9k. Much more top-end pull than my old Z1000. Pretty happy so far, it looks and sound excellent. At 80-90 mph the stock screen is pretty good at smoothing the flow of air, despite not really blocking it. The Fizzer will definantly move with a quickness!

EDIT: Does anyone here have a good setup on the stock suspension (rider weight around 170 w/gear)? I rode it as it came from the showroom floo(previous owner never touched it) and it was way to soft and not-very planted.

Last edited:
Not to the bike but for me, I added to my homemade heated gear collection by finishing my heated pants and starting (hopefully finishing today) on a heated liner. Still waiting on the controller so I can actually use the stuff!

DSCF4112.JPG
DSCF4117.JPG

Well, I took it off the center stand and moved it so I could get the chop saw and air compressor out of the garage. Then I moved it back and put it on the center stand. That is all the action she saw today. :(

Lubed the chain, aired the tires and put in about 200 miles. If I'm motivated I'll put in about 400 today. Last day of the Texas Mile today; Austin to Goliad and back. If I leave now, 6:00 am, I think I can be there by 8:00 am. The fastest runs are in the morning. I love a reliable bike!!!!

Heading out with Pyrogenic in about an hour to run through Sam Houston National Forest. It is a beautiful ride through there. Installing my gas tank camera mount now.

Edit: Pyrogenic and I managed to get in over 200 miles today. We had a very nice ride through Sam Houston National Forest and then up 3090 to Carlos Texas. I forgot how much fun 3090 is. Here are the only two photos I took out front of Yankees in Carlos. It is a popular watering hole but we were there very early. Mu video came out so bumpy it is not even worth uploading. Need to work on my mount.

4377d1287946021-what-did-you-do-your-fz-today-yankees.jpg

4378d1287946021-what-did-you-do-your-fz-today-genigenii.jpg

Last edited:
Busy Day Today

The weather here in NY was great today and I had thoughts of running up to the mountain but Richie had to go to school today. He's a member of the Italian Club Honor Society and they had an open house for prospective freshman. I decided to stay home and do the "mirror mod" on the new carbon fiber mirrors that I got from DonnieBee. It was a simple job as I used the original mounts from the stock mirrors because the new mirrors are aftermarket and use a different internal mechanism. I ground down the ends with the Dremel and was done in 20 minutes.

Here's the "before".....
IMG_0170-2.jpg

Here's the "after"......
IMG_0198.jpg

This is probably the most useful mod you can do to the FZ1. The difference is amazing.

I was also able to remember to bring the camera down with me this time to get some video of the new (to me) exhaust bolted in place on the bike. I had the mid-pipe cut and rewelded to bring the pipe in line with the rest of the bike. I still need to grind and polish the weld but thats for another day. Here is the video of the exhaust mounted correctly on the bike.........
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPWAQcLFKOo]YouTube - Yoshimura RS-3 On The FZ1[/ame]

Yes, there's a little more. I got the call from Richie that he was almost done so I took the FZ over to the school to pick him up. One the way back I had an idea to let Richie take a couple of spins on the FZ1. He said no at first when I mentioned it to him at a red light but quickly came to his senses and agreed. I took him over to the industrial area two blocks from the house and let him run. I still had the camera on me so I took some video. He did a good job and I never felt nervous while he was riding.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzLgg2wGjCc]YouTube - Richie On The FZ1[/ame]

So while I didn't get a ride in today, I did get some stuff done both around the house and in the garage. The nice thing is that I again switched days with my buddy and I'm off tomorrow. It's going to be sunny and 70 degrees here which means one thing......Drop Richie at school and take a nice ride tomorrow!

RE: FZ1 today

I was looking at the FZ1's on Craigslist (just browsing the motorcycles close to my location, actually) when I stumbled upon (and purchased), yet another stable-mate for my black and silver '01 FZ1. I found a beautiful, really clean 'n shiny, glossy-jet black 1995 Honda HELIX 250 also on Craigslist that I just couldn't refuse ! Only 2,235. miles on her, and, from a great fellow who is the original owner and who sadly, is going into a nursing home. It's in excellent condition and at only $1000. American dollars, I could just not resist adding her to the 'garage'. I took some pics, but forgot to bring the camera card home with me. I'll post the pictures of her tomorrow, , , before you send me the "worthless without pictures" reminder. heh,heh,
Oh-yeah , , , , I am now back to owning FOUR motorcycles again . . . . . . . :noworries:

RE: FZ1 today

Here are the pics of the new addition to the garage that I promised yesterday. The 1995 Honda Helix-250 -- fresh from her bath and with a slick coat of wax, she joins the others as they nestle into the heated garage/shop for the long, cold, winter that's coming.

Got Joe's radiator guard on finally and a couple other items. :cowboy:

Waiting on the rizoma signal adapters to mount my front signals and my Exhaust to show up but here she is so far with more to come over the winter. :bounce2:

IMG_5003Large.jpg

IMG_5005Large.jpg

IMG_5007Large.jpg

IMG_5014Large.jpg

changeLarge.jpg

So we will now refer to you as Hot Pants? :confused0024:

:gagged:I was thinking "Electra".

Neither, I was thinking theWolfTamer needs to be able to ride in all temps. Haven't you seen the wolves hunting in Yosemite in the snow? I can't ride in the cold without heated gear, theWolf makes me too sore! Of course, it's because of theWolf that I can't afford to buy Gerbrings!

Anyway, today I tried to put a ground block on the bike. I did something wrong so I gotta figure that out.

Neither, I was thinking theWolfTamer needs to be able to ride in all temps. Haven't you seen the wolves hunting in Yosemite in the snow? I can't ride in the cold without heated gear, theWolf makes me too sore! Of course, it's because of theWolf that I can't afford to buy Gerbrings!

Anyway, today I tried to put a ground block on the bike. I did something wrong so I gotta figure that out.

I wish I had some heated undies for riding in the cold too. Really, it's just been my hands taking the worst of it. I'm impressed you're making your own heated riding gear. I know if I tried, I'd shock myself. Good luck with it.

The fact that you would try making your own heated gear is impressive:Rockon:. I just go "oldschool" with gear and use warm, layered (expensive) cold weather gear. Then again I have never used heated gear so I don't know what I am missing.

This morning I rode to work in snow, and it snowed lightly on my way home to. Supposed to be -4 in the morning, but unless the roads are icy I will ride again. I use snowmobile mitts and my Rev-it Cayenne suit. It is keeping me warm so far up to 70 MPH.

Uppers Back From Paint!!

I got my upper fairing back from paint today. The guy did an awesome job. With multiple coats of base and clear as well, the paint should hold up nicely to scratching. He baked it on in a booth and wet sanded and polished it to a glass like finish. The best part of the entire deal.........the price tag. It cost me "zero" dollars! Thats right, zero! I'm definitely sending my tail section to this guy during the winter for the same treatment. My friend at work knows him personally and brought it over there and told him that "he" had scratched it up while he had the bike and needed to make it up to me, so the guy told him not to worry about it. I'm now going with the GenII FZ1 badge instead of the GenI for the sides. I like the GenII design better. Partshark has them for 13 bucks for the pair.

Keep in mind that my camera sucks indoors with low light but trust me, the finish is beautiful.

IMG_0214-2.jpg

IMG_0212-2.jpg

IMG_0211-2.jpg

More pics to come once it's installed. I may wait until the season is over.

Back