what bike to get?

sammysr

ok so i have a 2002 fz1 its got 60000 miles on it, i got it cheap and needed a first bike. anndd i have fallen in love with it ;) But in x amount of years i can already tell im gonna need a new bike lol, the fz1 isnt going to hold up forever. Sooooo the question arises, what bike to get? I want a sport touring most definatly, i see my dad whining about how his rc51 hurts to ride and is uncomfortable lol and i love the feel of the fz1's sport touring feel. I have been looking at some such as the Hayabusa because i hear that sport touring yet still uncomfy also. I also am really leaning towards a second gen fz1 :) the only other one im really liking is a b king but how comfy is that one? i hear better than busa. So if any of you guys could give me any advice or add to my list of bikes to research thatd be great!! thanks!

I always like to take a ride on bikes and see how I like them. You might try a Gen II and any other. At least for me, that is where I figure it out. :)

FZ1yb's got it right.

Just demo anything and everything you can, even bikes you wouldn't consider buying in a million years. Big bikes, small bikes, whatever. Ride them all. I've owned quite a few bikes, almost all of them different from each other and I still don't know what the 'perfect' bike is.

Maybe it doesn't exist :)

FZ1yb's got it right.

Just demo anything and everything you can, even bikes you wouldn't consider buying in a million years. Big bikes, small bikes, whatever. Ride them all. I've owned quite a few bikes, almost all of them different from each other and I still don't know what the 'perfect' bike is.

Maybe it doesn't exist :)
Yep,I think ever thing in life`s a compromise

I recenly sold my busa after 7 years due to the same complaints as your dad !!

Dont get me wrong it was an awesome machine , but due to a back injury , my height (6ft 2 ) and im the upper end of me forties it had to go . you can do the bar riser mod and the buell foot peg mods but then you take the sport part away from the bike ,I tried all this and the bike didnt feel the same any more .
you will read some guys can ride the busa all day , some like me will need to take a break after an hour .

I now own a 2006 fz1s and it ticks all the boxes :sport12:

Ride everything you can, the one you dream of owning & love the looks of can be the most dissapointing once your bums on the seat.

I used to own a busa I put heli bars on and still not much better. With sports bikes I think its not a good idea to change the bars as when you do you change the weight bias of the bike and its just not the same.
The Tunono is a great bike but sucks the juice so not much good for touring also you could get a Speed triple I have owned one of these also but the built quality was a let down. I have a super duke now and its a great bike once you get the fuelling sorted so maybe just get another FZ1 but if your like me you might not want the same bike again and just like to try something else.

Test ride as many different bikes as you can. You'll find what your looking for. At the mileage of your current bike expect to start spending $$ on it. You won't regret an FZ1 - awesome bike. The Triumph 1050 Speed Triple is worth a look too.... it was my second choice.

G'day Fangn, got that ride in today - Reefton Spur - cops, cops and more cops.:nana::nana::nana::nana::nana: Cheers.

I have owned quite a lot of bikes, I fix them up and sell them as a hobby. The FZ1 (06)
Is my favorite one of all time. I like the way it handles, I love the power hit at 8000 rpm and the ergos work for me. I am 54 years old and no back issues or wrist pain on the FZ1. I raised my bars 1.75 inches and put adjustable stubby levers on.

I have also wanted to ride a hayabusa to see how they are. The challenge in picking a bike is being able to ride what you want to try to get a feel for it. Five or ten minutes is not enough for me to get a good feel, it takes a couple of hours. Being able to ride a bike that is not yours for that long is hard to come by, at least around here it is. Good luck in your search.

Sport Touring? How about a FJR 1300? I have over 85,000 on mine and still like it as much as the day I bought it. My FZ1 is a local ride / day bike but when it comes to long distance multiday rides you can't beat the FJR. It has plenty of power and with all the tupperware for wind / rain protection 500 plus mile days are easy and it a Yamaha!
If you get a chance ride one or rent one for a day to see what you think.

Ridden a Bking and its a great bike but it wasn't for me. It has a huge gas tank and to me it felt to wide to be a comfortable all day bike. It is also really wheelie happy. This was right before I found my FZ1 and to this day hands down would still take it over the Bking

I was shopping Busa and ZX-14 the last 4 years

I recenly sold my busa after 7 years due to the same complaints as your dad !!

Dont get me wrong it was an awesome machine, but due to a back injury, my height (6ft 2 ) and I'm the upper end of me forties it had to go. I now own a 2006 fz1s and it ticks all the boxes :sport12:

I had been shopping bikes for 35 years. To think I was going to take out a loan to find the Busa or ZX-14 of my dreams.

After 10 years of trying all the HDs at Rocklin, CA HD(now closed), I think my 08 FZ1 is twice the bike at half the price. I love the straight bar on this FZ1. My bad back would be toast with the clip ons on a Busa. Look at the weight on those two missles!

If I lost this Yamaha tomorrow, I'd buy a 2012, with the same mods as mine.
:rmwl:

Back