Slider Advise

Double--T-Rex

Im on the t-rex website about to order some stuff (swingarm spools, axle sliders, and frame sliders). How many frame sliders do I need. You said you are using 2 per side on your Gen I, correct? Would I want to do this on my Gen II, and if so where would the second set mount?

Hey Speedy!! I mounted the "rear-slider(s)" in the passenger foot peg bracket on the leftside. I tired to get it in the pic. I used one hole and plugged the other. I bought a grade-8, 10MM hex-head bolt that was long enough to reach through when mounting the muffler bracket on the right.
I don't carry passengers so I removed the pegs of course. I also bought the longer TR sliders for the rear-end hoping they would better protect the "wider" back plastics in case of a tip over. :cheers:

Afraid

Would be afraid the foot peg bracket wouldn't take it if the bike went down hard. But there probably wouldn't be that much weight on it back there.

Jm, Agreed, the T-Rex's as I have them mounted will do very little to protect the bike when moving at speed. I have the front ones mounted to the lower fairing brackets (very weak, compared to the engine/frame mount) and the rear sliders would likewise fold up or snap off in a heavy crash.

I mounted them more for tip over protection while parked or at very slow parking lot manuvering speeds. I also admit that I mounted them for the "LOOK" they provide . . . ! I simply like the way they add some character to the overall scheme or theme these bike's provide. :woot:

Crash Mashrooms

My Sliders arrived yesterday. I ordered a whole set (Fairing, Axles front/back, and stand bobbins) of Crash Mashrooms from jaybeebikerbits.com Total cost $109.00. I must say Im impressed, very nice packaging and instructions, very nice fit and finish. Hopefuly I'll never have to find out if the quality is good too but I hope it is.

Those look good and you get a lot for your money that's for sure. My bike went down at low speed, but the frame sliders and front fork sliders kept it from getting any damage on the hard parts so I say it's a wise investment.

Only thingI have different on my setup is the rear axle sliders. They are part of the axle blocks so I never have to remove them when adjusting the chain.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I received my sliders yesterday and just need to know the torque spec on the bolt that im mounting them with. Thanks guys

I'm assuming you're referring to the frame sliders since you'll be replacing the engine mounts with longer bolts. They should be torqued to 33 ft/lb.

Those look good and you get a lot for your money that's for sure. My bike went down at low speed, but the frame sliders and front fork sliders kept it from getting any damage on the hard parts so I say it's a wise investment.

Only thingI have different on my setup is the rear axle sliders. They are part of the axle blocks so I never have to remove them when adjusting the chain.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Those are the Driven Rear Axle Block Sliders, right? Do they stick out farther than your Swingarm Spools/Sliders? Which spools are they, btw?

I have Motovation frame sliders. Later I added some Motovation fork sliders.

Maybe you can see in my picture below....

Last edited:
Those are the Driven Rear Axle Block Sliders, right? Do they stick out farther than your Swingarm Spools/Sliders? Which spools are they, btw?

Yes, they are the Driven ones. Great fit and very beefy. They are about even with the spools, which if I remember correctly are T-Rex ones...

Thanks, I'm trying to decide which brand and how many sliders to install on mine.

Swingarm spools/sliders and rear axle sliders seem rather redundant. On some bikes the spools are not crash-worthy because they are mounted to a tab that's welded to the swingarm. But on the 2nd gen FZ1 the spool mounting points appear to be integral to the swingarm. Still not clear if they are meant to absorb that kind of load, though. And of course with a centerstand the swingarm spools themselves are redundant. I like the Driven axle block sliders because they allow you to adjust chain tension without removing them. They're pricey, though, about $90 shipped.

For the frame sliders I'm leaning towards Woodcraft. They're unique in that the puck attaches to the aluminum base with a separate screw through the side. Without a gaping hole in the middle they need not be as long as the competition's to provide the necessary surface area and volume of material. They're pricey, too, about $70. But it seems like guys who track their bikes and crash regularly (I'd like to do the former, not the latter.) eventually upgrade to Woodcrafts. The design is definitely more durable.

I'm still not sure about front axle/fork sliders. As wide as our engines are, I don't see how it could be a point of contact in anything but a terrifically violent crash. Perhaps that's the idea. I have 06 R1 forks, so I have some choices. The Motovation ones don't have a through rod. One of them is screwed onto a new axle nut and the other is just a compression fit. It spreads apart in the axle as you tighten the screw. Easier installation, but I know of at least one case where it popped out in a crash---due to tangential impact with a deer's head. I'm thinking the T-Rex fork sliders are the best value at $40 shipped.

So much for brand loyalty, eh?

Thanks, I'm trying to decide which brand and how many sliders to install on mine.

Swingarm spools/sliders and rear axle sliders seem rather redundant. On some bikes the spools are not crash-worthy because they are mounted to a tab that's welded to the swingarm. But on the 2nd gen FZ1 the spool mounting points appear to be integral to the swingarm. Still not clear if they are meant to absorb that kind of load, though. And of course with a centerstand the swingarm spools themselves are redundant. I like the Driven axle block sliders because they allow you to adjust chain tension without removing them. They're pricey, though, about $90 shipped.

For the frame sliders I'm leaning towards Woodcraft. They're unique in that the puck attaches to the aluminum base with a separate screw through the side. Without a gaping hole in the middle they need not be as long as the competition's to provide the necessary surface area and volume of material. They're pricey, too, about $70. But it seems like guys who track their bikes and crash regularly (I'd like to do the former, not the latter.) eventually upgrade to Woodcrafts. The design is definitely more durable.

I'm still not sure about front axle/fork sliders. As wide as our engines are, I don't see how it could be a point of contact in anything but a terrifically violent crash. Perhaps that's the idea. I have 06 R1 forks, so I have some choices. The Motovation ones don't have a through rod. One of them is screwed onto a new axle nut and the other is just a compression fit. It spreads apart in the axle as you tighten the screw. Easier installation, but I know of at least one case where it popped out in a crash---due to tangential impact with a deer's head. I'm thinking the T-Rex fork sliders are the best value at $40 shipped.

I agree for crash protection there is no need to have both the rear axle sliders and the spools. Reason I have the spools on there is that for a while I was running w/o a centerstand and using a rear stand for chain maintenance. Eventually the centerstand went back on and the spools remained. And as pricey as the Driven ones are they are worth it to me since chain adjustments are quicker than having the trough the axle ones.

I know what you mean about the frame sliders, but just about any of them will protect your bike so it really comes down to aesthetics.

And I totally recommend the front axle sliders. It doesn't take much of an impact at all for the axle to against the pavement...

Well, mine does use a thru rod. :) Are you talking about for R1? Because mine are Fz1 forks...

I was talking about the Motovation fork sliders for the R1. I'd imagine the FZ1 parts could be made to fit the R1 forks, though. Is the stock front axle hollow?

I was talking about the Motovation fork sliders for the R1. I'd imagine the FZ1 parts could be made to fit the R1 forks, though. Is the stock front axle hollow?

Yah, I noticed that yours were RI after reading it again....Yes, my front fork is hollow. So, the slider rod goes right in, nice and snug. I know some of motovation sliders are bike/part specific and they continue to design them. I picked these up in person and talked to them about it, since I live nearby. Great guys.

I just got my T REX frame sliders and they seem to have been redesigned.
They sound like the woodcraft sliders UAV ONLINE described.
They no longer have a center hole and they thread onto a threaded aluminum lug which is bolted to the frame with a SHCS into the engine mounting hole.

My only problem is the thread size on the lug, it is a 29x2 thread.
Work has no gages, so if I have to make a spare set I need the mating part to check the pitch size.

Last edited:
Back