Rear Wheel Needle Bearing Issues

SpeedDoesntKill

Hey everyone, 2001 FZ1. Currently doing a wheel bearing replacement all around. 4 of the 5 bearings replaced with no issues till the needle bearing in the rear wheel. After 2 attempts still no good. I've removed all metal burs and even given the spot that it gets stuck on a bit of a taper with the dremel. Second attempt bearing at 29o and the axle area where the bearing goes at about 240o still no good! Ive checked part #'s everything is right?? Anyone done this recently, any help would be great!!

Hey everyone, 2001 FZ1. Currently doing a wheel bearing replacement all around. 4 of the 5 bearings replaced with no issues till the needle bearing in the rear wheel. After 2 attempts still no good. I've removed all metal burs and even given the spot that it gets stuck on a bit of a taper with the dremel. Second attempt bearing at 29o and the axle area where the bearing goes at about 240o still no good! Ive checked part #'s everything is right?? Anyone done this recently, any help would be great!!
You might try to use a bit of heat on the rim before removing/installing bearing,a heat gun works well no naked flame,this is how I replace all bearings in alloy on my old bikes,you don`t tear out any metal also when knocking out/in bearings

Just done my gen 2 ,, same set up , as fisherman says , warm hub with hot air gun then I used old bearing shell to drift it in with copper mallet , they are a fairly tight fit

On real tight fits place the bearing in the freezer for 1/2 hr first,the old method to check the correct heat [you may not need to go this hot] is to spit on the alloy and when it starts to sizzle work fast it will sometimes just drop in then leave to cool

I've had the rim to 240 degrees and the bearing at like 28 and she wont go in. Im kinda lost, im going to look up the part numbers again thru Yamaha's database just to be sure. Going to have to order a new bearing again.

Honestly that's what I was starting to think. Bought It from my Uncle tho and he bought it new in 2001. What is the bearing size difference between the R1 and FZ1 wheel? Since the last failure i've gotten a new bearing and sanded out the bearing bore with emry cloth. Tried the install one more time here at home, rim hot cold bearing no luck again. Sanded it out a bit more, tomorrow ill give the press a try.

The Original #'s match what I have, it makes no sense! Used a T gauge and micrometer today the wheel bore was 40.43mm, the bearing outer diameter is 42.10 obviously that's far to big of a difference to work. There are 2 bearing distributors here in Orlando neither has a 40.50 which would be great, even finding a 41mm is tough. Spoke with my instructor today about the issue his words, thats why I hate Yamaha, apparently they in some cases change things up mid production. In my case the FZ1 I have was one of the first 1000 produced. Anyways fuck it ill fix it on my own, made a hone like device however this hone exerts equal pressure everywhere regardless of entry angle therefore it will not make a crooked hole. Yes I know if I mess up my rim is trash. Ill let you guys know how it all turns out should be done tonight.

On real tight fits place the bearing in the freezer for 1/2 hr first,the old method to check the correct heat [you may not need to go this hot] is to spit on the alloy and when it starts to sizzle work fast it will sometimes just drop in then leave to cool

You can try some Ice Freeze Spray as well. I would suggest wearing some impact resistant glasses/goggles when using this product. Depending on the material used in the bearing, it can shatter or bits can fly off in the direction of your eyes.

All good!! Bike feels great! After removing about 1.5mm from the bore it required very little effort with a frozen bearing, and warm rim. Sorry this last one took soo long, been riding :rmwl:

Back