PC5/Wideband and a New way of Tuning

Regarding Hellgate's question. The scatter graphs are just averages. Think of them as every time the motor got to this RPM/MAP (or whatever is in the X and Y axis) the third field (displayed in color) shows.

So in this trace I am showing on the left plot, I am showing RPM on the vertical axis and RPM on the horizontal axis. The colors represent AFR when I got to those points in the map. Red areas indicate that I was hitting lots of ~15 AFRs.

Places that I hit lots of light blue hits are close to ~12.5 AFR

Hope this helps

Beast

We have reason to believe that the Euro ECU interprets the lack of an 02 signal different than the US version code. I have no idea if the 2010 us ECU does this or if it behaves like the 08 ECU.

Beast

If anyone is looking for a great pc5 map for a stage one bike, I posted it on my server. The map requires that

the AIS hose is plugged
the EXUP valve cables must be removed
the stock flies must be in place
the stock air box is unmodified
do not run with an FCE

The bike this was tested on has a 2008 ECU This tune does not require the added MAP sensor.

The throttle response off a corner is quite snappy so be careful if you are coming from a typical pc5 or stock tune. The front wheel is coming up at anything over about 4500 on a throttle stab from 0 throttle.

http://www.ncs-stl.com/pc5wb/FZ1_Stage1_AN_038.zip

Beast

Last edited:
Here are a few pics of what it takes to have your ECU quick swapable. I am not running the batwing bodywork that sits between the fuel tank and the steering head to make lifting the tank real fast.

P1010535.JPG

P1010536.JPG

P1010537.JPG

P1010538.JPG

P1010539.JPG

P1010541.JPG

P1010542.JPG

The white thing holds the billows thing on a fuel nozzle back so I can fill the bike without fighting the spring.

The 3 boxes under the passenger seat is the map sensor(red), the Wideband controller (black this mostly red lettering/label and the pc5 (black).

Beast

I have been running the wideband setup with full time data logging for about a month now on the FZ1. I have been shocked by some of the things I have uncovered in this month.

The first one is that the ECU apparently watches and corrects for the ECU even if the o2s are disconnected and the power commander o2 plug is in place. This happens for about the first 10 min of the ride and the the ECU apparently give up and stops adding fuel. This is a huge issue on these bikes. How would you ever get a stable tune on one of these bikes. This is huge.

Here is a screen shot of it doing it.

http://www.ncs-stl.com/pc5wb/SlidingAFR_08Ecu.jpg

This sliding AFR happened over about 10 sec at a steady state 4300 RPM at 6% throttle. The AFR slid about 1 full AFR in 10 sec.

Other times I would catch the ECU just pulling fuel for no apparent reason.

see http://www.ncs-stl.com/pc5wb/SteppingAFR.jpg

The last thing I noticed is that the bike has a huge problem dealing with changes in weather conditions. The swing was about 1.5 AFRs to richer when the weather changed from 80 to 55 degrees. If this one proves out to be consistent, I may have to go to two very different tunes for summer and spring/fall.

see http://www.ncs-stl.com/pc5wb/FZ1_AFR_Weather.jpg

I am testing the autotune option now But I am finding that is is simply not designed as a full time autotune option and has to be treated as a tuning tool. It does make the bike run rather bad as it tunes. It is cool as to what I have seen so far. The trick is getting the AFR targets set and I did that based on what I learned with the use of a full time MAP sensor to determine engine load.

These motors do have torque limiting in the lower gears that is what makes these bikes make more power without flies.

These bike apparently do pull timing as you roll out of the throttle to make the throttle linear. Not a bad thing in itself but it is huge when trying to do timing corrections with an IM.

Still testing

Beast

The issues above appear to be related to these bike having too much cooling. Apparently the "chokes" turn off at 163 degrees. I was getting cool weather water temps right at 155 and that is simply too cool.

Beast

Here is a comparison of my winter tune compared to my summer tune.

In this screen shot I am showing the tune in Alpha-N like most people are used to in the Power Commander world RPM is on the vertical axis and TPS is on the horizontal axis. Color indicated the fuel correction being used by the PC5. On the left is the summer tune and on the right is the summer tune.

http://www.ncs-stl.com/pc5wb/SummerVsWinterAN.jpg

Look at the difference in fueling at right around 4500 RPM and 5 percent throttle.

Now look at it in Speed Density. Here the RPM is on the vertical axis and MAP on the horizontal axis. Colors are still showing the fuel correction in percent.

http://www.ncs-stl.com/pc5wb/SummerVsWinter.jpg

The same correction swing shows up quite clear at right at 53 to 75 KPA and around 4500 RPM.

The amazing part is that the fuel correction showed up right at a 5% swing. Once I got the bike dialed back in for the cooler weather, the bike livened right back to how it felt in the summer. Note that I am running the radiator block off to keep the bike up to a reasonable operating temp.

Have fun tuning.

Beast

I have been testing the autotune function lately. Yesterday. I was running the highmount exhaust. All of the trims looked real reasonable. So today I removed the "quiet" plug form the exhaust just to see how I liked the bike in the louder / uncorked configuration. To my surprise. The bike only ran worse with a considerable throttle lag. When I got back home and looked at the logs, the autotune was pulling fuel everywhere. It was too rich, not lean as almost everyone would assume.

I then cleared the trims back to 0s everywhere and reinstalled the "quiet" plug. I went out on the same ride as I had before. The tune came right back to how it felt yesterday and the trims were right back to random small changes as you would expect.

The conclusion I have come to is these bikes are fairly sensitive to exhaust changes and the same tune can not be used with major design changes in the exhaust. It is interesting to note that I can swap between my stock exhaust (with EXUP removed) and with my Highmount with quiet plug with no real change in tune.

I did not like the excess noise with the plug removed.

Next I will be trying to find some large rubber plugs so that I can drill large holes in my spare air box and swap the plugs in and out to see just how sensitive these bikes are to restriction changes in the air box.

Have fun tuning

Beast

Back