My own Take

My position on modifying your motorcycle may fall entirely on deaf ears, maybe a few might pay attention and consider it, or perhaps in twenty or thirty years someone might look back and say thank goodness I listened. I've been riding the street for forty-seven years, I've owned 26 decent motorcycles from the U.S., European, and Asian manufacturers. I've left about ten completely stock, lightly modded about ten, gone bonkers modding two and done the intake/exhaust on four (with maybe some minor metal and paint work. Along my journey I've learned that a completely stock motorcycle will bring much more return on a person's money than anything that's been modified, for street use it will be as good or better than a modified machine and after twenty or thirty years almost everyone will admire it far more than the one that PO's have taken to with their infinite wisdom. The clincher for me has been that the enjoyment level is just the same with a stocker as a modified ride, except if competition is the goal. I admit that if a rider wants to do serious competition then modifying is helpful. I've never competed with any of my bikes so it's a mute question.
Last November I picked up a nice XS Eleven in Minneapolis for what I thought was a great price. It was completely Box Stock exept for a Vetter Windjammer that had been put on sometime in the past (somewhere between 1980 when it was made and November 2011). I got rid of the Windjammer because honestly, I just could't see an XS Eleven Special with a faring. Today the bike is exactly the way it left Japan in 1980. It still makes respectable power and will bury the speedometer. I wouldn't call it a handler because it AIN'T but it is more than fine for crusing the canyons, which I've been doing out here in the Parker, AZ area for the last few weeks and it puts a huge smile on my face when a passer-by asks whet it is and how old is it. When I tell them it's 1 years old they smile and say "wow".

you raise some good points... but quite a few of my mods have been out of necessity...

I'm 5'9", 250lbs.... so the stock suspension doesn't work for me by myself... let alone with my wife on the back.... so I did springs / AK-20's up front, and a Penske in the rear.

When I moved to the mountains of NC, the bike wouldn't run properly with stock jetting.. so I opened up the carbs and installed a jet kit... ported the boots, modded the air box... to get the best performance out of that, I also installed a timing advance.

Also in the mountains of NC, there were a lot of steep hills... the bike didn't like starting off heading up a hill without significantly slipping the clutch... so, I changed the gearing to something that was easier to start off on hills and I wasn't planning on using all of the available top-end speed.. so 16/44 became 15/47.

Then, I found myself using the bike as my main means of transportation to and from school when I was still a student... so, wearing a backpack was not the best solution on the curvy roads up there... it always slid side to side and messed with my weight transfer in the corners and limited my movement.... so I got the Givi luggage system with side bags and a top case....

The wife wanted something that she could sit on comfortably for long, 2-up rides, so I got the Corbin Gunfighter+lady seat with a removable backrest.....

Because of my short legs, my knees never fit into the tank "pockets" properly... so since I couldn't bring the tank down, I took my feet up with a set of Gilles Rearsets...

I was always reaching for the clutch and brake levers, but a set of adjustable Pazzo levers fixed that....

There are a few things I did that weren't necessary... the Rizoma grips and bar-ends.. the carbon fiber inner fairing panels... the MIVV exhaust.... (though the MIVV is a nice compliment to the jetting and timing advance)...

But for the most part, the mods I did were necessary to make it "my bike"... otherwise, it felt like I was wearing someone else's shoes... Now... the bike fits me... Are the mods I did for everyone? No. But for me to feel the best on my bike, and get the most enjoyment out of riding, I needed to be comfortable on it. I needed the ergonomics to be right... If you're one of the lucky ones who can hop on a bike, and it "fits you like a glove".... I can see not having to do these things... but I don't have the bodily dimensions that the bike was designed for.

I'm sure that a lot of it boils down to finding a bike that is as close to a "fit" right out of the box... for instance, while I love my Gen 1, I could never do the Gen 2... the tank on the Gen 2 along with the seating position pushes my legs open so my knees are out in the wind like sails... The typical cruiser configuration on most variety of cruisers makes my butt go numb after a short ride... I don't have the height for a dual sport/adventure bike...

I think it all boils down to making the bike fit the rider... while it may affect resale, as the next person to buy my bike probably wouldn't be built the same way, I'm not planning on getting rid of the FZ any time soon... so the only importance is that it fits me.

I don't completely disagree with your point on modifying bikes. However, to some of us tinkering with our bikes is part of the overall motorcycling experience. Personally I have never left any bike stock for long...some have just been modified more than others (well I did leave the CB125 mostly stock as I couldn't really mod it...lol).

By the way post some pics of your XS1100. We haven't seen any pics of it since you first got it and tuned it up.

I have to admit, I waffle back and forth on wanting to go mod-crazy or staying mostly stock. I want a slip-on exhaust, but then I think I should do the full system to get a mid-range boost, but then I'd need to mod the airbox and flies and then I'd have to get a PCIII or PCV and then to really do it right you need to put it on a dyno and get a custom map, etc, etc, etc! :rant:

After I add up all the money and time, I figure I should just stick with the stock engine and exhaust. I know some enjoy doing all that, but if I'm truly honest with myself, I just enjoy riding it, and I really don't need those mods to enjoy the ride. It will still (even bone stock) keep up with most bikes out there and blow away most cars. A mid range boost would be really nice, but it's nice and calm for normal street riding and then if I get that :squid[1]: feeling, the top end is always there. (sometimes it's just fun knowing it's there, even if I don't use it... :kuku: weird, huh?)

I'm planning on saving up the money I'd have used on mods and adding another bike to the stable. I'd like an FJR or maybe even a Star Warrior, or a dirt bike (with a street title :)) For now, anyway, I plan on just keeping my Corbin seats, frame sliders and FDB levers (and maybe a new windscreen) as my biggest mods. (of course, I am really fat and should get suspension mods for my hefty mass, but those rear shocks are sooooooo expensive!)

Just so I don't get blasted, I don't have a problem with mods, I just don't know if it's the right thing for me. The point I take away from Lonerider59 is when the bikes get older and 'classic', they tend to be more desirable and sought after in their stock forms and they are still fun.

I've always been a proponent of the 'stock+' school of thought. I don't mind modifying some things but it's only the things you can't really see; brakes, shocks, forks, etc.

I typically like the look of stock bikes over whatever typical mods you may find

I like to mod a bike to suit my personal tastes but I'm now keeping all stock parts to return it to factory should I ever decide to sell it. What I didn't keep or was permanently modified as a stock item is typically a cheap part to buy and put back to stock.

Yes, I know and agree with everyone that I went about mine the wrong way. I did all the cosmetic mods when I should have started with the suspension. After buying all the "purdy stuff", well, I don't have the funds now to buy what was necessary in the beginning.... suspension. However, I do not (and cannot now) take a passenger on my bike and I've been dropping weight so the stock suspension is a bit more tollerable. I will replace it though once I get funds.

Was any of the mods I bought necessary? Nope. Not a single one. The bike was fine off the showroom floor. Do I enjoy my new look for the bike? Yup! Thus to me, it was worth every penny spent. I can recoup some of those costs at any time by selling the mods and returning the stock parts. No, I'll never get it all back but that is my price to pay for personal satisfaction. After all, I cannot take money with me when I leave this world....

I like mine to work correctly; suspension, fueling, brakes. I also like the egos to fit me. So my mods are functional and I try to use stock parts when I can.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

you raise some good points... but quite a few of my mods have been out of necessity...

I'm 5'9", 250lbs.... so the stock suspension doesn't work for me by myself... let alone with my wife on the back.... so I did springs / AK-20's up front, and a Penske in the rear.

When I moved to the mountains of NC, the bike wouldn't run properly with stock jetting.. so I opened up the carbs and installed a jet kit... ported the boots, modded the air box... to get the best performance out of that, I also installed a timing advance.

Also in the mountains of NC, there were a lot of steep hills... the bike didn't like starting off heading up a hill without significantly slipping the clutch... so, I changed the gearing to something that was easier to start off on hills and I wasn't planning on using all of the available top-end speed.. so 16/44 became 15/47.

Then, I found myself using the bike as my main means of transportation to and from school when I was still a student... so, wearing a backpack was not the best solution on the curvy roads up there... it always slid side to side and messed with my weight transfer in the corners and limited my movement.... so I got the Givi luggage system with side bags and a top case....

The wife wanted something that she could sit on comfortably for long, 2-up rides, so I got the Corbin Gunfighter+lady seat with a removable backrest.....

Because of my short legs, my knees never fit into the tank "pockets" properly... so since I couldn't bring the tank down, I took my feet up with a set of Gilles Rearsets...

I was always reaching for the clutch and brake levers, but a set of adjustable Pazzo levers fixed that....

There are a few things I did that weren't necessary... the Rizoma grips and bar-ends.. the carbon fiber inner fairing panels... the MIVV exhaust.... (though the MIVV is a nice compliment to the jetting and timing advance)...

But for the most part, the mods I did were necessary to make it "my bike"... otherwise, it felt like I was wearing someone else's shoes... Now... the bike fits me... Are the mods I did for everyone? No. But for me to feel the best on my bike, and get the most enjoyment out of riding, I needed to be comfortable on it. I needed the ergonomics to be right... If you're one of the lucky ones who can hop on a bike, and it "fits you like a glove".... I can see not having to do these things... but I don't have the bodily dimensions that the bike was designed for.

I'm sure that a lot of it boils down to finding a bike that is as close to a "fit" right out of the box... for instance, while I love my Gen 1, I could never do the Gen 2... the tank on the Gen 2 along with the seating position pushes my legs open so my knees are out in the wind like sails... The typical cruiser configuration on most variety of cruisers makes my butt go numb after a short ride... I don't have the height for a dual sport/adventure bike...

I think it all boils down to making the bike fit the rider... while it may affect resale, as the next person to buy my bike probably wouldn't be built the same way, I'm not planning on getting rid of the FZ any time soon... so the only importance is that it fits me.

Mod yourself 1st, then mod the bike. :hide: :nerd:

pff... that ain't gonna happen.... being in a gym / running / etc makes me miserable....

I used to say the same thing but I found other ways to not be super fat like that and I've never been happier. I hate the gym and I hate running but there's so many other fun ways to lose that fat :)

pff... that ain't gonna happen.... there's a reason for the expression "fat and happy" ... being in a gym / running / etc makes me miserable....

plus.... I can't mod my legs to be longer...

It has two parts - PHYSICAL FITNESS & RIDER SKILLS.

I used to wonder why Ken Hill and Scott Russel love and infact prefer the FZ1 the most at the YCRS inspite of having track focused machines by the side. FZ1 is I guess a lot more fun to ride at the track than those machines.

I guess riders with GREAT SKILLS don't see the apparent faults in the stock bike and/or can overcome easily compared to us mortals.

Last edited:
I know what your saying lonerider I have been riding for 40 years and have done mods on different bikes also. But if I do any mods I always keep the original parts so I can always put the bike back to standard.
At the moment I have a KTM Super Duke and on this bike you just got to have after market pipes to get that big V twin sound.
When I had the FZ1n Gen2 I just left it stock as it goes heaps good enough except maybe a different rear shock would be a improvement but that is all I would do to that bike. As for the loosing weight thing some of you are talking about just stop eating sugar and cut back on foods with bread.
Google how bad sugar is for you this stuff is like poison!!
Bread clogs your guts up.

Ok, ok, , , ,

Mhhhhhhh , ,, to MOD or not to MOD . . . . oooohboy. :poke:

My '01 FZ is so heavily modded, (over 35 at last count) that it hardly resembles the FZ10S that it was at birth! The reason?? The same reason my first FZ10S was also modded to the extreme. (they are both BLACK, and both 2001 Gen-1's btw).

I am ADDICTED !! I have the that dreaded modification disease ! ohh woe is me, woe is me :shame:. . . I surely don't have all the why's and why-not's as to why we might want to mod our already impressive, already great looking, machines. . . . but, in my case---I am ADDICTED to MODDING !! :deadhorse:

I would like to start off by saying I'am a habitual moddder. It started with my Schwinn Stingray and continues to this day. I was brought up turning wrenches, and now its part of the fabric that makes who me is. between the ages of 7 and 17 most of my time was being my fathers slave labour on many of his projects; a 70's custom van, A datsun pickup with a buick v6 install and having to maintain my racing go kart my self.

I had every intention on leaving my FZ in stock form and that lasted about a year( I should have never installed those frame sliders, my first mod). Then after that first mod the flood gates opened. I know its a money pit but if money was my concern I would just get a Prius and be done with it all together. For me its about passion. I love riding and working on motorcycles. I also have never worried about resale value. My track record has more totaled bike than bike sold. I do hope this trend is over.

This is really a to each their own conversation. I love modifying my bike and looking at what others have done with their rides. I consider us artist of a 2 wheeled nature.

Now I'm on a keyboard, not a phone.

Every bike I've owned has been modded to some degree. For me I like the whole project aspect of modding, and I really enjoy doing things that other have not done. I had about four one off, custom parts/systems made over the years. For cars I done the same thing too, it's fun.

As stated earlier I keep the OEM parts, and once I sell the vehicle I put it back to stock. It usually doesn't take that long and in the end you lose less money.

For me life is about experiences and to me that is tinkering and experimenting.

Do I need an R1 front end. NOT REALLY.

Do I need the R1 wheels. NOPE. (Actually for the front forks to work, I kinda do)

We shall see if I'm the only one :drool: over it when it is complete

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I mod my bikes to suit my needs/tastes.

Rearsets, race windscreen, levers, a slip on and suspension for my track bike.

Taller windscreen and heated grips for my FZ1.

Woods bars and steering damper for my dirtbike (it's a KTM, it's already modded)

My Streetfighter is now retired from commuter duties and it's gonna get modded even more heavily.

Everything gets frame sliders and braided steel brake lines.

When the time comes to sell them, I put them back to stock and sell the aftermarket parts separately. I buy most of them used anyway and usually get most or all of my money back.

Back