Just got a 2013

harrisch

Hey guys, got my bike yesterday! with 0 miles on the odometer (although im an idiot and took a pic of the .1 mile on the trip computer not the all zeroes) got 2 miles from the shop and realized i screwed up.... :doh2:

Anyways, the bike is frickin awesome. My dad got a 2013 FJR1300 yesterday and after we picked them up we put about 80 miles on the bikes.

First impressions: the blue color is really mesmerizing, it changes so much, sometimes it looks black, sometimes its subaru bright blue, other times its a dark navy - very dynamic color.... i do wanna go with a matte black and gold theme with my bike but i think im gonna have to do plastidip or vinyl because i dont think i want to lose the ability to go to the factory color coz im so impressed with it

the bike definitely is powerful, i came off on an FZ6R and the difference is immediately notable - that said breakin period dictates i take it easy on the bike and thats what ive been doing.... not like you really need to ride it all that hard, 6k RPM is like 80 something miles an hour in 6th anyway haha

One concern: on the first startup the bike put out a little blue smoke...thats usually not a good sign on cars so any input on that for the bike?

Also, the idle seems a little bit rough - im thinking the throttle bodies may need to be adjusted? Itll have to go in for a 600 mile service soon enough, but is there something i should do with the bike prior to that? It rides just fine, burbles a bit on deceleration but nothing like my dads ninja 1000 used to.... im just concerned that the 4 cylinder in this is heralded as such a smooth engine... yet the idle is so rough.

Anyways, pictures below - The ninja 1000 and FZ6R we switched out for the FJR and FZ1, bikes first startup with the smoke out the exhaust, the FZ1 in the show room (you can see my dads FJR photobombing on the right side) and then the FZ1 once i got it home :wilynily:

Last edited:
Just check the rpm`s at idle, should be I think around 1200-1350 when warmed up,it`s easy to adjust check your book.I like a new motor to be idling a little on the fast side not labouring, I hardly ever put any bike in gear from neutral while running,first thing in the morning I warm it up then turn it off, select first gear hold in the clutch then restart,this free`s up the clutch and elimate`s the clucking into gear especially if idling a little fast,I would`nt worry too much about the smoke,most likely just needs to seat ring`s in etc,enjoy your new toy

Last edited:
Curious, why you just didn't take your Ninja 1000... it is a better bike than the FZ1, in stock form anyway... Congrats and welcome to the forum. Change the oil now and run it hard. See motoman's breakin procedure

I don't know, but I wonder if a 0 mile bike might have had a bit of oil in the combustion chamber for shipment. Some of these bikes set on the floor for years before the are ever started.

Anyway, :welcome: and congrats. The blue is the fastest color, so don't be too quick to change colors. If the color wasn't what you wanted, did you look for an older left over new FZ1? The 2012 was white and the 2011 was silver. Might have saved a few bucks, but don't let me rain on your new bike!

I'm looking hard at the 2013 FJR. I can't swing it now, but I'll be looking for one in the next few years. I might have gone with the Ninja 1000 if it had been out when I was looking to buy. I still love my FZ1. I've been very happy with it and plan to keep it for many years to come. I'm sure you'll love it coming from the FZ6R. The FZ1 will do 86 at redline in 1st, so look out after break in. The 8-12k range is the crazy zone. Lean forward and HOLD ON!

I don't know, but I wonder if a 0 mile bike might have had a bit of oil in the combustion chamber for shipment. Some of these bikes set on the floor for years before the are ever started.

Anyway, :welcome: and congrats. The blue is the fastest color, so don't be too quick to change colors. If the color wasn't what you wanted, did you look for an older left over new FZ1? The 2012 was white and the 2011 was silver. Might have saved a few bucks, but don't let me rain on your new bike!

I'm looking hard at the 2013 FJR. I can't swing it now, but I'll be looking for one in the next few years. I might have gone with the Ninja 1000 if it had been out when I was looking to buy. I still love my FZ1. I've been very happy with it and plan to keep it for many years to come. I'm sure you'll love it coming from the FZ6R. The FZ1 will do 86 at redline in 1st, so look out after break in. The 8-12k range is the crazy zone. Lean forward and HOLD ON!

Ha i do love the blue, thats why im going to plastidip for now, protect it and go for the matte black and gold color scheme i want to work on - i think gold accents would look good with blue if done right in the future too so lets see where this goes. I plan on keeping this bike for a while to come also.

86 in first? :kuku:

I rode the FJR for a while today and first thing about it is, man is that thing comfortable... makes me really want to change the seat on my fz1... i was very impressed by the fly by wire throttle, very smooth... the 5 speed has awesome clutch feel and really positive shifts, its a heavy bike but it scoots, im usually following the fjr.

Curious, why you just didn't take your Ninja 1000... it is a better bike than the FZ1, in stock form anyway... Congrats and welcome to the forum. Change the oil now and run it hard. See motoman's breakin procedure

So i rode the ninja a bit and i never really felt comfortable on it. the bars were not adjustable and the way they are angled positioned me weirdly on the bike such that i had weird pressure points on the sides of my hands... of course this could have been changed and i looked into z1000 triples and conversions but there was something about it that just didnt click with me - the front end feel was a little numb, it felt somewhat cumbersome to manuever... that said It was definitely a torque monster, and i dont know what the fz1 can do above 6k yet but underneath it, it definitely can't surge like the kawa did.... not to mention its overall bad*** appearance, however im hopefully the top end of the fz will more than make up for that. Add the fact that the fz comes with a centerstand (maintainance, working on the bike, etc)... the N conversion looks as naughty as the ninja, and has a huge aftermarket with lots of crossover R1 parts - i just felt like it was the better bike to invest in long term, and im very happy with the decision so far

Just check the rpm`s at idle, should be I think around 1200-1350 when warmed up,it`s easy to adjust check your book.I like a new motor to be idling a little on the fast side not labouring, I hardly ever put any bike in gear from neutral while running,first thing in the morning I warm it up then turn it off, select first gear hold in the clutch then restart,this free`s up the clutch and elimate`s the clucking into gear especially if idling a little fast,I would`nt worry too much about the smoke,most likely just needs to seat ring`s in etc,enjoy your new toy

did this and the bike seems to be idling at an appropriate range, it just fluctuates more than i would have expected... it does seem to be getting better with more miles on it, and im going to change the oil before i ride it more.

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of advice here. If you need some help just ask. I wouldn't worry about a bit of blue on start-up for a brand new bike, as already said it was most likely from the lube that was used for shipping. Now if that gets worse or starts to continue after warm-up then I'd be taking it to the dealer. If you think your dealer knows their "stuff" then rely on their advice for maintenance. Use your manual and if you decide you want to do your own service, get a real Yamaha service manual, keep by the book, keep your receipts as proof you purchased the goods to do your maintenance and log the work in a book. The maintenance is not difficult and ypu'll learn more about your bike by doing it yourself. Not exactly sure what you mean by a rough idle as mine has always idled just fine but I'd do the break-in then worry about the way it idles after that, unless it gets really way-out.

That's a nice blue.
1. Stock seat is junk, get one from dirt road on the forum.
2. Use full synthetic oil.
3. Trans will clunk into first and runs 185*-215* normally. Under 4k RPMs heats it up.
4. Valve adjust @ 26k.
5. Good brakes too, you will really like it.

Congrats on the new bike! The dealer had a 2013 for me to look at when I was buying my 2012 this past March. That blue color is stunning for sure.

My 2012 has a bit of a fluctuation in the idle also, even after 2K miles. I probably have the idle set on the high side at 1400ish rpms (180 degrees). This seems to help, but its still a bit "lumpy". I think it is just a characteristic of this motor, and I am not too worried after much searching on the forums about it. Maybe someone can chime in if they think differently.

I am wondering if Ivan's Reflash / PCV would help with the idle fluctuation, I am going to work that out during the off season with all the praise that its getting. Anyone have an opinion?

Regarding the lumpy idle

did this and the bike seems to be idling at an appropriate range, it just fluctuates more than i would have expected... it does seem to be getting better with more miles on it, and im going to change the oil before i ride it more.

First off, congratulations on the bike!

I had a 2009 and foolishly sold it a few months ago. Like you I just got a 2013 FZ1 and I'm not letting it go away as easily as I did the last one.

Regarding the idle I have a theory.....

It's a high performance bike with an engine to match. It's probably the camshaft grind (profile) that gives it the slightly lumpy idle. I like it because it reminds me of how the high performance V8's we had back in the 70's used to idle.

Edit: I forgot to say at idle on my bike the needle varies only slightly. About the width of the needle.

Jon...

Last edited:
Back