GenI purchase,is this good price? Great condition

Hello everyone,

I always wanted to get a silver GenI, never quite had funds for it and they are hard to find (Florida). I finally have money to get one and a found a very nice one at the dealer
Buy Here Pay Here Motor Sports, LLC: 2002 Yamaha FZ1 - Pictures - Largo, FL

Looks very nice, 12k miles, but $3999. Dealer will not go lower because of condition. I kinda want to go for it, just have this felling of not getting a deal.

What do you guy think?
Thank you

go for it.
thats alot of bike for the small sum.
ask for a free oil change or a discount for some maintenance. Might get it.
good luck

I'm not sure of how the market is in Florida, but 4 grand seems a bit too high for my taste. Is that the OTD price or before all their taxes and fees? I mean, the bike looks nice and all and has a couple of "goodies" as I can see, but it's 11 years old. I paid less for my 01' with 11,000 miles and mint condition back in 2008. Not sure what the KBB value is on that bike, but I'd check it out.

The bottom line is though: If you like it and it's what you wanted, and have the dough, then buy it and be happy.

That's before taxes. Also I will have it partially financed, 50 down - 50 6 months. I was looking for a while and there were bikes that were under $3k but there at around 25k miles where valve job needs to be done so it would be almost the same. Only thing I kinda dont like is someone changed the turn signal lights, it missing under tail. But that not a big deal...

I just got my 2009 with half the mileage of that for 6k a couple months ago. It was just as clean.

The dealer probably took it in for 2k, I'd tell him that I'd pay 1k over the price that he brought it in for, or about 3k whichever was best. You'll still have to pay tax, tag, title, doc fees I'm sure.

Or as the other poster said, I'd only pay that much if I could get a oil&filter, coolant change, brake fluid change, and carb clean.

Seems high priced for the year. I'd offer 3,500 otd or keep looking.

Nothing wrong with a bike for less than 3k even if you have to pay for a valve adjust it's cheaper than 4K

In my area there is not a lot of FZ1 GenI. All of them anywhere from $2800-to even $4500 ... I will try to go lower on the price or ask them for some extras (maintenance work, maybe a helmet or something). Is there a easy way to tell does it have jet kit installed? Having akrapovic maybe somebody did that as well, it owuld help me justify the price ...

In my area there is not a lot of FZ1 GenI. All of them anywhere from $2800-to even $4500 ... I will try to go lower on the price or ask them for some extras (maintenance work, maybe a helmet or something). Is there a easy way to tell does it have jet kit installed? Having akrapovic maybe somebody did that as well, it owuld help me justify the price ...

You'd have to take a look at the carbs to see if the mixture screws are visible. They are sealed from the factory with a metal "skin". To enable adjustment the covering has to be drilled out, exposing the screws. If they are visible there may be a chance it was jetted. To know for sure you'd have to remove them.

Just remember one thing. It doesn't matter who many "bells and whistles" the bike has when it's being sold. Don't let the dealer try and justify the price by saying it has "extras". If you were selling your bike and it had every concieveable extra on it, it wouldn't mean you'd get a dollar more than what the book value was. The exhaust is just a slip-on and not a "full system" so it means nothing on price. It's just another "can".

Thank you all for reply, I went there today after work and the bike was sold 20 minutes before ... will keep looking

Keep looking. A vehicle is like real estate, location is very important. People will tell you all day long here that such and such a bike is over priced, yet someone will come along and buy it at that price, it's all about the local market and what is available at any particular time. A dealer will almost always have a better feel for what the market will bear.

If that bike was 100% stock with all original documentation and a year's worth of warranty from the dealer I'd go for it but because it's not 100% stock and he's unlikely to give you any warranty, I'd offer $1000 less or all he'd see of my was my cheeks moving out the door. I'll bet he think he payed too much andnow wants to recoupe his money. Too bad because it does look like a nice bike. Did the dealer offer you a ride????

I asked could I take it for a ride and dealer said no. It wasn't to great experience, there was also no talking down on price.
Martin the first one looks painted and has that fearing. Like to see engine and have in original silver :)

I had a similar experience buying a bike for a friend, the dealer asked a too high price, did not want to negotiate, the bike had markings so mostly repaired and still he did neither give me a warranty nor did he wanted to let me ride. Just walked out of the door. Only because someone with no idea of motorcycles will buy it for a too high price does not mean you have to do this mistake ;).

Do not worry buying used requires patience and looking around a lot but that pays off.

The exhaust is just a slip-on and not a "full system" so it means nothing on price. It's just another "can".

$4000 sounds like a lot of money for Gen 1. I agree with YZFriderNY. The newer looking can is just another can. It should have nothing to do with the price. Dealers are going to charge you the max for the bike. Is it going to coming with some sort of warranty?

As my brother said when I was looking, don't buy the first one you see, unless it is an exceptionally good deal.

Back