Zip-tied Flies = OHHH YES

KNEEDOWN69

I thought i would tie them and see what all the fuss was about. My bike is running the latest E-map with FCE, smaller flies & airbox mod, gearing 16/47. Well, all i can say is why didnt i do this 2yrs ago because the bike feels awesome. The throttle is so much smoother and responsive. The bike pull harder, smoother & linear from 4k+ mid-range, it also feels like it is reving faster through the revs?. IMO the bike is 100% more ridable, i cannot believe the difference. The last bike i rode that felt this good was an 09 Fireblade. I wont pull the flies & spindle like other members but i will proberly dissconect the servo arm and plug the motor back in to prevent the engine light from staying on. Be your own judge but i recommend trying this mod and seeing how you like it.

Man I've got to try this when I get back to my bike. I don't think anyone has said a negative thing about moding the flies.

A couple of questions.

If you remove the flies, will you get the same benefit as zipping the flies?

Why are people removing the spindle as well?

Ballmead I removed the secondary spindle because with no flies it is not needed, just in the way of great airflow. It is a doddle to do, lift throttle bodies, remove center cir-clip and slide out. I filled my holes with a Ally epoxy and made sure it was very smooth. Lifted the tank the other day some 3000km after the epoxy went in and it is rock solid. If you do not want to lift throttle bodies and do not want to save spindle even easier, remove cir-clip and slide out and chop with side cutters and keep going till no spindle left, still have to fill holes though. I had to add fuel 3500-4500 when modded flies and then had to add more when removed modded flies and spindle. You will feel and hear the spot just add fuel in this area till it is gone and pulling like a freight train. Did get down to Adelaide to have a custom tune done, he played with the ignition map and fuel just a little, he said it was almost perfect. (mix of Perfection and MRP with a little more fuel in the area mentioned above. Nev also commented on the LACK of fuel cut (06), it is still there but very minimal, throttle response is very impressive, lower mid range improved. The secondary flies are there for emission and mind control, nothing else IMHO

Ballmead I removed the secondary spindle because with no flies it is not needed, just in the way of great airflow. It is a doddle to do, lift throttle bodies, remove center cir-clip and slide out. I filled my holes with a Ally epoxy and made sure it was very smooth. Lifted the tank the other day some 3000km after the epoxy went in and it is rock solid. If you do not want to lift throttle bodies and do not want to save spindle even easier, remove cir-clip and slide out and chop with side cutters and keep going till no spindle left, still have to fill holes though. I had to add fuel 3500-4500 when modded flies and then had to add more when removed modded flies and spindle. You will feel and hear the spot just add fuel in this area till it is gone and pulling like a freight train. Did get down to Adelaide to have a custom tune done, he played with the ignition map and fuel just a little, he said it was almost perfect. (mix of Perfection and MRP with a little more fuel in the area mentioned above. Nev also commented on the LACK of fuel cut (06), it is still there but very minimal, throttle response is very impressive, lower mid range improved. The secondary flies are there for emission and mind control, nothing else IMHO

I have Copperdawg flies and I never really got a big increase in performance.
The only problem if I remove them is that I will have to take the bike in again for another custom map.
I think the benefit of removing the spindle would be minimal, so I would probably leave it in there.

I am running Ivans E-map and the bike pulls real hard through the rev range. I dont know if its just me but the bike seems to rev quicker aswell?. It would be interesting to disconnect the FCE out and see how the "snatch" is or lack of it?. I am not knocking anyone products?, but i wish i would have pulled the flies and just added a PC3 instead of following the masses.

Update= Having ridden with the tied flies i untied them and rode the bike back to back with Ivan's modded flies. I can report tied flies or no-flies is the best by far, the smooth throttle and nice pull in the mid-range makes the bike so much more fun and precise.

The OP said about the engine light coming on...

My flies are tied open, and occasionally the engine management light comes on.

Does anyone know why this would happen?

Back