YZF Winter Spruce Up 2012

If it makes you feel any better. I started my ride this morning in the upper 30s. 35 miles in and I am stopping for my second cup of coffee to warm up. I did not dress for upper 30s or low 40s.

In other words, you can dress for it! Go for it. ;)

And to think, I commented on your vid this morning saying how jealous I was to see you riding in textile!

I wish I had your skills to do a job like that Billy. Good luck with the cleaning. I can't wait to see the results.

Thanks buddy, but it doesn't take much skill to scrub gunk off the bike. I wish I had the skills like J. Whelan, Hellgate, and some of the other guys here! Now thats skill! But I'll accept any and all compliments!!:bowdown:

Billy, you and I may not have the mad modding skills some of these other guys do but we make up for it with our 'keeping our bikes from becoming rusty piles' skills

Well, at least you're getting to "play" with yours. Mine is in the garage all safe and sound, but I'm out of pocket for the next 6 weeks. The only saddle time I'm getting is on a tractor. Then again, the tractor is turbocharged! :evillaugh:

Thats what I get for NOT going with my better instincts and staying home that day. :doh2:

Oh I learned my lesson long ago with my first bike on New Year's Day. Got really warm (about 55 degrees) and I took the bike out w/o the lower fairings. Snow melting everywhere and it mixed with the remaining salt. Needless to say it wasn't pretty. My only saving grace was that I was able to clean it right away...

As you all know I love taking photos and documenting stuff I do to the bike and the car. It's amazing how many times you see things in your photos that you don't immediately see when your right there. Such was the case when I first tried to remove the front sprocket cover last year. It wasn't until I got upstairs and a day later when I saw the bolt that I didn't see in the lowest part of the cover. The next weekend I went down and had it off in two minutes. Well the same just happened this evening. I'm staring at the breakdown pics and lo and behold, I see a spot of green on my screen! I zoom in and there in plain sight is a coolant leak that I didn't see sitting one foot away from the bike in the garage!

IMG_4408888_zps82c00a89.jpg

The three red arrows point out the places I see coolant. So when your rebuilding, modding, or restoring, it's important to snap what you think are way too many pics, cause you never know when they will show you, or others, something you missed or something safety minded.

:Rockon:

Weekend 2 Update:

I broke out the kerosene bottle and scrub brush today. It took almost an hour of scrubbing the chain to get it to at least feel "fluid" when circulating it. I still have to scrub it again when I get some Scotch Brite home Monday from work. The O-Rings look to be in good condition.

IMG_4429_zpsb164e7e3.jpg

IMG_4431_zpsabd15bfc.jpg

IMG_4432_zps8191c9d8.jpg

I followed up by using the Eagle One polish and gave the RS-3 a workout.

IMG_4434_zps44c940b7.jpg

IMG_4440_zps99aecb5e.jpg

IMG_4442_zps00920585.jpg

I removed the rear axle and cleaned it and the spacers real good.

IMG_4438_zps8ede083f.jpg

I cleaned and polished the right rear passenger peg assmebly. The Eagle One Wadding Polish is just awesome stuff!!

IMG_4441_zps1924fc68.jpg

I scrubbed the rear shock but am not satisfied with it. I may remove it tomorrow and clean it proper.
IMG_4444_zpse8db6732.jpg

The rear swingarm is looking good again, thank God.
IMG_4445_zps50da20a9.jpg

This is my next order of business. The rear brake caliper. After that I'll start on the headers, wheels, rotors, sprocket, and then body panels. Oh, and gonna do new fork oil and seals too!

Oh MY !!

Looking better Billy ! Got a little ways to go obviously, but knowing you like a I do . . . . You will work your transformation magic once again.
Btw, the ole Vortex wheel-stand looks awesome . . . . :smokin2:

A lot of work but getting there!

BTW, a good tip I heard? If you ever have to be out on salty roads again, shoot everything with WD40 FIRST! Lightly wipe it down and then when you get back, give it a good wash and wax. :D

A lot of work but getting there!

BTW, a good tip I heard? If you ever have to be out on salty roads again, shoot everything with WD40 FIRST! Lightly wipe it down and then when you get back, give it a good wash and wax. :D

Yes Eric, you are right. I actually saw that on Trucks last week on Saturday's show. They sprayed the underneath of the truck with WD and it keeps anything from adhering to it. Great tip buddy! Thanks.

Back